Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Exactly what I was going to say!!! He was more like a drugged up, crazed lunatic who knew exactly what he was doing, whereas mentally ill patients do not know what they are doing most of the time, they just flip, like they're split personalities.

You have even said yourself Nicci, that the reason this man was like he was is because of his bad childhood, his abuse etc. etc. not because he had mental issues, so I can't buy that!

No matter how hard you try to blame this on his mental issues or past issues, you have to also remember that there are evil people who walk amongst us, that's a fact, and he was probably one of them, and the reasons for that could be countless, but he was definitely not mentally ill, and no, I'm no psychiatrist either, but I worked that one out all on my own!
So a person whom threatens to commit suicide, or ''suicide by cop'' has no mental issues, of course they do as it sure isn't rational thinking! I think personally there were a whole lot of reasons that caused that man to snap some of which haven't been mentioned.

I posted way back before, that I have friends that use steroids but they are certainly most not drug fueled crazy lunatics with no control that go on the rampage threatening to kill themselves, or threaten ''suicide by cop'' or threaten to kill or harm others - I posted some evidence of a study carried out and although there is evidence to suggest that they effect your health (which I know to be fact, as we also have a friend that used them now in renal failure), there was hardly any evidence to suggest that steroids turn people into cold blooded murderers - what the evidence did suggest was :-

Increased aggressiveness is often claimed to occur with anabolic steroid use. Although itīs highly rare (less than 5%), significant psychiatric symptoms have been found in some steroid users, including aggression and increased violence, mania, and even psychosis. However, it must be noted that in the studies done without a control group, it can safely be assumed that naturally aggressive people simply just be more inclined to use steroids (type-A personalities, if you will). This would probably have an effect on possibly skewing the results. Certainly, if someone takes the risk to use steroids to improve their performance in a sport or their physique, they have certain aggressive traits. Can steroids enhance them? Possibly. Can steroids be to blame for anti-social, psychotic, "roid-rage" type behavior? Probably not. The evidence just isnīt there to support that.

In fact, a landmark study was performed which examined different doses of testosterone administration on men aged 20-50, who had a variety of experience with steroids from having used them previously to not at all prior to the study. A variety of psychological tests were performed at the outset of the study as well as at the end. What was found was that no participant in the study had become violent as a result of the testosterone injections they had been receiving, although some said they felt more aggressive. This clearly indicates that there is a high level of control over possible violent or aggressive behavior that can result from steroid use. The researchers also noted that in terms of the psychological tests performed, some subjects showed little or no response to testosterone, with regards to psychological measures, while others experienced significant changes. Thus, general temperment clearly plays a large role in how one responds psychologically to steroid administration.

He possibly did have a ''strong'' ''stubborn'' type of personality which steroids as said above could have enhanced, but they certainly cannot be held accountable for everything he did, or I'd better be watching out
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
there was hardly any evidence to suggest that steroids turn people into cold blooded murderers - what the evidence did suggest was :-
When I say "drugs" I think he took more than a few steroids quite honestly, something a bit stronger I think! Even pot can affect the brain, make them paranoid, let alone what stronger drugs can do, I know this coz I'm an avid fan of Jeremy Kyle lol!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
When I say "drugs" I think he took more than a few steroids quite honestly, something a bit stronger I think! Even pot can affect the brain, make them paranoid, let alone what stronger drugs can do, I know this coz I'm an avid fan of Jeremy Kyle lol!
Wasn't he a bit of a drug dealer as well as a bouncer? I am sure I heard that on the news.

What do you think of the brother (who hadn't spoken to Moat in a few years) now complaining that the police wouldn't let him go down and speak to him!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
What do you think of the brother (who hadn't spoken to Moat in a few years) now complaining that the police wouldn't let him go down and speak to him!
was'nt it the uncle?

Either way - I think anything should have been tried to get him to give up and do the right thing, putting the gun down and handing him self in.
If the uncle/brother thought he could calm him down, and talk him into giving himself up and doing the right thing, Its defo something imo that should have been put to Moat. Maybe it was? I dont know.
and have'nt spoke to him in a few years means nothing, family is family, and will/should always look out for each other. I guess the uncle/brother who ever he was, wanted to see a calm ending for all involved and justice brought to Moat just like us, If he could help do that well he showed he was willing to.

I do find it some what mad that Moat is getting all this support though. Dont get me wrong I am not and have never supported him, what he done was vile and he should have lived with that for the rest of his life. Not take his life as an easy way out.
There are FB groups supporting him! Its very disturbing, and the familes that have been affected by this man will have to live with these memories for a life time.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I saw an article on the BBC website saying that he was most likely a paranoid narcissist. In which case he had a personality disorder which is in the DSMIV which is the psychiatrist's bible. So that would indicate he had a mental illness.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 01:09 PM
The uncle was the first one who said he was upset he hadn't been allowed to go down, and now Moat's older brother is saying the same. They apparently both contacted police and asked to go and speak to Moat. Unfortunately, for obvious reasons, the police can't allow members of the public (whether relatives or not) to be put into danger. The fact that Raoul Moat was ranting about having no family and had apparently been estranged from his family for years, could also mean that seeing or hearing from members of that family could have acted in tipping him over the edge, whereupon he may have tried to take others lives as well as his own.

As Helena54 pointed out, Moat himself never asked for any of his family members but instead asked for one of his friends to go down.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Just reading through some of these posts about Moat and his end - and I am amazed that Helena54 and Claire and Daisy do not think this man was mentally ill. Helena said that he "was more like a drugged up crazed lunatic so her words are saying that she does think he was mentally ill.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Well if Im honest, I am absolutely sick to death about hearing about a man who killed, injured, maimed and terrified people for an entire week, and now people having sympathy for this "person!" I cannot understand how anyone can defend such an abhorrent and vile man, who took pleasure from harming others. Id be happy never to hear his name again. I only wish the police ended it sooner.
While I don't agree at all with anyone who would defend or support Moat's actions, as I'm sure none of us do here, it is only by trying to understand why he did what he did that our knowledge can grow. If we knew what drove him to these terrible acts then perhaps some system could be put into place to prevent this kind of atrocity from happening again, a system that will save lives in the future. The fact is that he WAS a person, he was born into this world a blank slate the same as you or I, and unless you believe that some people are born inherently evil (I don't, personally; I believe that different personalities are affected by childhood trauma in different ways and thus some have a lower threshold at which they can become 'evil') this could have been prevented somewhere down the line. Even if the only thing examining his actions achieves is higher levels of scrutiny and psychological examination for those leaving prison, then surely it is worth it?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
I'll have one final say, then I'm moving away from this. It's pointless arguing the right and wrongs, he's gone now what's done is done.
I think the system has let him and everyone else down.
The prison service knew he was planning something like this and this should have been dealt with prior to his release. His ex (and I know I will get slated here) should shoulder some of the blame here for that poor mans death, she knew of Mr Moats feelings towards the police, she knew what he was capable of, she knew how he would react to the news that she was ''dating a police officer'' - but still TOLD that lie.
Enticement to murder is being mentioned on other websites, news reports and other places, and I have to say I tend to agree.
His mother let him down, what sort of mother goes to the press and says he'll be better off dead? No matter what he has done he is still her son and she should of stood by him. He also probably felt a lot let down by his friends who went to the press, maybe he felt they had also betrayed him in some way, guess we'll never know, there were people speaking to the press who hardly knew him which was obvious as they couldn't answer the questions being asked of them, all of which would have added fuel to this mans fire. Lastly he was down by the press for printing stories that were given to them.

I am in no way condoning or supporting what he has done, but he and others have been massively let down by a system who KNEW what he was planning to do.
This post really sums up my feelings on the situation.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Wasn't he a bit of a drug dealer as well as a bouncer? I am sure I heard that on the news.

Yes, to both of those Kirsty, so he was definitely taking something.

I've just seen the interview with that brother, who hasn't seen him for years of course Hmmmm, compensation??????? They'll be lucky!!!!! He said because of the weather, the long grass, if they had fired the tazer gun which they did, it would have sent massive electric shocks through his body causing muscle spasms to make him pull that trigger I'm hoping upon hope, that it is proved that the tazer gun didn't get anywhere near him, and that is possibly WHY nothing has shown up on the autopsy to that effect, and that's possibly WHY, the family want another autopsy (done at our expense of course), so that they might have a possible claim if it does!

Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Just reading through some of these posts about Moat and his end - and I am amazed that Helena54 and Claire and Daisy do not think this man was mentally ill. Helena said that he "was more like a drugged up crazed lunatic so her words are saying that she does think he was mentally ill.
No, drugs TURN you into a drugged up crazed lunatic sometimes, depending upon the effect they have on you, they affect different people in different ways at different times. When you stop taking the drug, you're back to normal until you take some more is my guess, same as when you're drunk. Mental illness is totally different, it's a permanent thing in your psyche, but of course, we'll never know that know coz he can't be interviewed!
Page 13 of 23 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »