Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DrIvEn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2007, 06:02 PM

Puppy Bonding

Is it true that feeding your new puppy from your hand instead of just putting it in the their dish for them to eat is a great way to bond and show the dog you are alpha? I read this in a dog book and I wondered if it really works. Sounds like a pretty good idea...

And also, I was wondering, is it possible to raise a puppy to be really affectionate? The reason why I'm asking this is because I want a German Shepherd, but they don't seem as affectionate as a Lab or a Golden, and I really love when dogs are really sweet, loving, and affectionate. Can you raise a dog to be more like that by loving on them a lot and massaging them and that sort of thing? Or how would you go about that? Because I know by the way you raise a dog, it shapes who they are and who they become. Just wondering if this is possible.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Hi Driven,

Alpha what? Are you a dog? No. Will your puppy see you as another dog? No. IMO the only thing feeding a puppy by hand is going to teach it is to become a fussy eater.

Yes you have to be 'in control' of your dog, as it were, but there's no need for dominance. Your dog will not see you as part of it's 'pack'. It's a hugely outdated concept based on flawed research.

Debs
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 06:21 PM
I don't 'do' dominance either!
I think the personality of your pup will play a big part in their relationship with you too. Mine are all raised the same, Percy is probably over affectionate, Liberty is the least affectionate and Ellie and Wilson are somewhere in the middle. Dolly hasn't decided yet!
Becky
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
Hi Driven,

Alpha what? Are you a dog? No. Will your puppy see you as another dog? No. IMO the only thing feeding a puppy by hand is going to teach it is to become a fussy eater.

Yes you have to be 'in control' of your dog, as it were, but there's no need for dominance. Your dog will not see you as part of it's 'pack'. It's a hugely outdated concept based on flawed research.

Debs

I disagree hugely, especially when you see a youhng litter of Dominant breed puppies, that all play different parts and hold dominance over the othe puppies.

Some dogs are more dominant and try to push, but not all dogs in all breeds, and some breeds are more predisposed to dominance.

It also depends what you mean by bonding ??

Dogs that are so called bonded with their owners have been known to be rehomed and almost forgot their bonded owners in seconds.

I don't really believe dogs bond at all. The need people, sure, but not convinced about bonding.
DrIvEn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2007, 06:38 PM
I really do believe dogs put family in ranks, dogs or human, if you aren't being the leader then they step up and take that position. Anyways though, that's not what I'm here to talk about right now. The bonding thing... I didn't mean it to get over anylized. It was just a word I used. lol Hm.. I just want to know if it's possible to raise a dog to be more affectionate.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Hi DrIvEn if you are using food as a reinforcer during reward based training you will be giving your puppy some food by hand.

If you are always patient and gentle with your puppy whatever the breed and train it with care it should grow up to be affectionate.

I don't go with the pack thing either, I don't for one moment think dogs see us humans as other dogs or part of a pack.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 11:12 PM
I have to agree, I don't 'do' the dominance concept.

There are certain techniques that are traditionally linked with dominance that work, such as calm and consistent but it's not because they see you as a dog or even a member of the pack, it works for other reasons.

As for bonding, Takara's very 'bonded' to me, she will guard me and when out she doesn't lose sight of me, but I didn't choose a one man breed so she's like it with anyone she knows well (close family and friends) and I don't doubt that if I had to rehome her she'd forget about me pretty damned quick!

Takara's incredibly soft, I can man handle her in any way, I can take food out of her mouth, play with her feet, teeth and ears and she will let me do it, she has prolonged cuddles with her close family and she believes she's a lapdog preferring to sit on my knee or be carried, than sit on the floor. She regularly gets picked up and puts her paws over my shoulders giving me big sloppy kisses. Yes, she does this because I've always done it with her. I didn't push her as a pup because she wasn't very cuddly but it's come out in her personality as well as having been handled like it on a regular basis.

I'm not sure what you mean by affectionate because the GSDs I know are very affectionate and VERY much connected to their owners, they're much more of a one man dog, and I know of at least one lady who's GSD won't leave her side unless specifically told to sit somewhere else!
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2007, 08:46 AM
I would definitely say most GSDs are very loyal and owner focussed dogs compared to other breeds. All my 4 GSDs were incredibly loyal and we had a stong bond with them all.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by DrIvEn View Post
Is it true that feeding your new puppy from your hand instead of just putting it in the their dish for them to eat is a great way to bond and show the dog you are alpha? I read this in a dog book and I wondered if it really works. Sounds like a pretty good idea...

And also, I was wondering, is it possible to raise a puppy to be really affectionate? The reason why I'm asking this is because I want a German Shepherd, but they don't seem as affectionate as a Lab or a Golden, and I really love when dogs are really sweet, loving, and affectionate. Can you raise a dog to be more like that by loving on them a lot and massaging them and that sort of thing? Or how would you go about that? Because I know by the way you raise a dog, it shapes who they are and who they become. Just wondering if this is possible.
Like others have said all you will end up with is a fussy eater, bonding with a puppy or any dog(or cat for that matter)is down to physical contact & training. Puppies that have been correctly handled from being very small(starting with the breeder obviously)tend IMHE to bond much quicker with humans that those who are left to the"natural"rearing of the bitch alone. This is why puppy farmed dogs have huge temperament & character problems & need very careful rearing away from the breeder. Puppies that have been handled from birth by the breeder tend to be more confident & outgoing as they associate human contact with being cuddled & stroked etc. Simply hand feeding will not get the same results

As for GSDs not being affectionate I beg to differ I've had GSDs since 1958(although I haven't got one at present last one died last July ) & all my dogs have been from responsible breeders who have handled them from birth & they have been as affectionate as any dog I know, in some cases too affectionate, in that dogs I bred have "mugged" me when we have met up after they have gone to their new homes & are all grown up. I regularly meet GSDs are shows(obedience)& training clubs who greet me like a long lost friend(I have to make sure I don't judge some as they have a tendency to come & say hello when they should be working :smt002 )

What you do have to make sure is that the breeder you choose has done all(including DNA)health tests, registers the puppies & doesn't just use the dog up the road because it's easier.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 10:41 AM
I wouldnt hand feed all the time, but i would certainly put my hands in the bowl whilst the pup was eating, even if its to put a little bit more food in. this stops food aggression as they see your hands as getting something good.

a bond with the owner is purely a means to an end with dogs. you provide all the dogs needs, food,warmth,comfort etc.

i dont think you can make a dog affectionate, its the dog itself.
my Leo doesnt like cuddles, but will plonk himself on your lap but my Beardie will climb up for a cuddle, they have both been brought up the same.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >