Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Happy 4th birthday to your girl Ginge!

There is also a big difference in having a dog around if you are using a manual wheelchair, as in the picture posted by Joedee, as against having a dog when using an electric/motorised chair, which is a lot heavier and can cause a lot more damage to even a large dog.................
This young lady has an electric wheel chair & also a walking frame that she uses They only used the manual wheelchair at Crufts so as not to frighten or upset the other dogs in the competition
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-10-2014, 12:28 PM
I often see a young lad in a village i drive through too and from work. He has a motorised chair and whizzes along with his 2 little scruff bag terriers trotting along beside him quite the thing Have also seen them hitch a lift too and there plenty of room on his footplate for them to hop on. Maybe a consideration for when you go to busy places, having something that can hitch a ride?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
This young lady has an electric wheel chair & also a walking frame that she uses They only used the manual wheelchair at Crufts so as not to frighten or upset the other dogs in the competition
Thanks for the explanation!
Mr.Bulldog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-10-2014, 11:19 AM
American Bulldog!

Ok on a serious note maybe something like a cavalier? Solid temperament with kids, exercise requirements not inordinate, manageable size and fairly sturdy for a little dog. There are a few health issues though one or two of them fairly serious so be sure to go for a well bred dog. Or if you wanted to go down the rescue route no doubt there will be plenty suitable of all shapes and sizes, an older stafford past the rowdy phase might fit the bill for instance.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Mr.Bulldog View Post
...[snip]...an older stafford past the rowdy phase might fit the bill for instance.
As a permanent wheelie that would be my ideal companion if I did not have Pereg, but unfortunately Staffies are on the banned list here.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2014, 01:54 PM
I'm seconding the Cavalier suggestion, and when I had Cavaliers I did sell one to a boy with the same condition, and they were a good partnership. Nimble and sturdy enough to keep away from wheels, but gentle, light enough, and so happy to sit on knees and snuggle. They also have an adaptable exercise requirement - though they love a a good run or a day out, they will also settle for a short spin and a game in the garden.
The only downside I can think of is the amount of hair that they shed - but they are not alone in that.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2014, 03:43 PM
Actually Mr Bulldog's joke might make some sense. A senior American Bulldog. By about six or seven years some dogs mellow down very nicely. Our Callie is around four now. If I take him out for a good hour of exercise daily, he spends the rest of the day looking for warm humans to lay with. I've considered volunteering at the library with him. They have a program where children come in an read to dogs. The children are less inhibited reading aloud to a pup and the dogs love the attention. Right up Callie's alley...cuddle with little people in a comfortable room while they pet you and read, he'd be so happy.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2