Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snowflakes
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-10-2014, 06:21 PM

Saving Excalibur!

Mom got infected for her dedication to care for the sick.
Teresa Romero Ramos, 44 a nurse from Spain was the first person who was diagnosed with the deadly Ebola virus outside West Africa. She got the virus from the Spanish missionaries Manuel Garcia Viejo and Miguel Pajares, both came from missions in West Africa. Ramos was the nurse assigned to care for the two missionaries which both have died from the virus last month. Along with her husband, Javier Limon, the couple were now in separate isolation in Carlos III hospital in Madrid.
Dad plead for help.
Recently, Ramos’s husband, Javier in an effort managed to forward a message from his hospital room claiming Madrid health officials are asking his consent to enter their house to get their dog whom officials thought might also be infected with the virus. Javier told that before leaving the house and going to the hospital he had filled the bath and several buckets with water and left 15 kilo sack of dog food. He also left the terrace door open for the dog to do his necessities. Javier could not agree on putting their dog down to solve the infection the easy way. All he ever wanted was to also put the dog in quarantine like they did to him and his wife. The officials later told him they will be getting a court order to enter their house and put down their pet dog, Excalibur. Javier’s message was sent to his friends and colleagues with the appeal to get it on social media via a co-nurse of his wife. The recipient then confirmed the authenticity of the message before publishing it on social media. Javier’s appeal were picked up by several Spanish newspaper. The daily El Mundo even managed to get a quick five-minute phone interview with Javier and posted it in their website. Javier also told the reporter that his wife had followed all health safety protocols yet have no idea how they could have gotten infected.
According to the report sent by health officials in Madrid that, “although dogs can’t contact Ebola, it is possible they can transmit the virus to humans.”
An online petition have already attracted 255,000 signatures not to put down Excalibur, the dog thought by Madrid health officials could also have the Ebola virus just because his parents were under quarantine and believed to be infected with the virus.
Why do I have to suffer the consequence?
Animal activists rally over the internet to save the life of an innocent dog a few people in Madrid thought could be infected with Ebola. The parents of Excalibur believed that their pet dog must also be given the treatment they now are getting, isolated and quarantined. For this they get to have that chance to live despite the deadly virus in their system. All they request now was for their dog to have an equal treatment he need and killing the dog is not option just to give instant solution to the virus that was now in Madrid due to the negligence of a few human being. Why must an innocent dog’s life be wasted as an easy solution to a human failure?
Snowflakes
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Update: as of Oct, 10, 2014:
The rainbow bridge opens wide for Excalibur

As the whole humanity worries about the effect of the Ebola virus, Spain has to do what has to be done in order to serve and protect the greater risk on the uncertainty and behavior of the threatening deadly virus to humans. Madrid, equipped with a court order got to the couple’s apartment and took the dog. The Regional Agency issued a statement that it had put down Excalibur, his corpse was put in a biosecurity device and cremated last Oct. 7, 2014 in an authorized disposal facility.

Excalibur’s death sealed what could have been the case of Ebola exposure through the canine of what experts say ‘they are uncertain of what risk that poses to humans.’
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2014, 05:14 PM
In some ways I can understand what at first sounds a knee jerk reaction. This out break is now becoming so wide spread that I think all precautions have to be taken.

Is Ebola a zoonotic disease? How would we know, How can you tell
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-10-2014, 05:48 PM
A clear answer on whether dogs could spread Ebola remains elusive. Only one academic study on the topic of Ebola and dogs is said to exist. The study, which followed an Ebola outbreak in Gabon, concludes that "dogs might be asymptomatically infected by Ebola virus in the wild. This finding has potential implications for preventing and controlling human outbreaks."

In other words, who knows? A spokeswoman for the American Veterinary Medical Association told NBC News, "I think it's possible that dogs might spread Ebola, but it's not likely in the U.S. or other places where dogs aren't near corpses or eating infected animals."
Full article here...

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...-death/381252/
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2014, 08:12 PM
It seems more than possible that bush dogs could carry ebola, but it is unlikely to be the case for dogs raised and kept in developed countries.

I have read this on a reliable veterinary site, but edit system is preventing me from supplying the link.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

11-10-2014, 08:32 PM
CaroleC - can you copy and paste what you have read without giving a link? That way it will be possible to trace it through Google.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2014, 10:22 PM
I don't know how to do that, so I'll try putting it this way -
I subscribe to an American .com website called PetPlace.
You can sign up to receive regular vet. health mailings, but there is also a search box available.
The article should appear as, 'Ebola virus, can your dog get it.
Let's see what happens now............
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Lateral thinking or what?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

12-10-2014, 07:32 AM
Thanks Carole - I found it.
Nippy