Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2013, 05:07 PM

Distressed over new toy

I got kaya a new toy today, I wish I never!
Its a rubber space hopper that squeaks, she cried as soon as I gave it to her and started shaking. She was carrying it around in her mouth looking for somewhere to take it. She ended up laying on my bed with it. She's being very gentle, not how she usually is with toys. And is licking it. So I've gathered that she thinks its a pup. This is around the time she would of had a litter had she of been mated. But I've not noticed any other signs of phantom apart from change in behaviour towards other dogs which I've already posted about.
I've taken it away and put it in the cupboard she is crying at the cupboard door now
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2013, 05:18 PM
I've given it back to her, if that's the wrong thing to do please tell me. But she was crying so much I felt I should. She's ever so gentle with it and is now lying on the couch with it between her paws. She seems more settled now.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Aw poor Kaya.
I can't offer any help but can understand how distressing it must be for you both.
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Aw poor Kaya.
I can't offer any help but can understand how distressing it must be for you both.
Thanks nippy! It really is distressing to see, I don't know what she's thinking. She's curled up with it now fast asleep x
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-04-2013, 06:00 PM
I have never had a bitch with a phantom, but if I had and she acted as Kaya is doing, I would let her have her toy as it obviously comforts her.

Just remember that if she is having a phantom, any toy would have done, not just this new one.

Cuddles for her in the hope that she gets over it soon, and (((hugs))) for you.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Hi Katie It really is best to take the toy away (along with any other nursing toys ) and be 'bright and breezy' with Kaya keeping her busy to distract her if you can.
Leaving the toy will encourage the nursing behaviour and the production of milk.
anonymousone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Oh sorry to hear this, im a fan of these toys, as it sends my boy crazy, but understand the high pitch may sound confusing to her, as its different pitches, and also its soft latex, not the normal feel of a toy, bless her heart, take it away and give her a treats for the evening.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2013, 06:14 PM
I believe Raspberry Leaf extract is good during phantom pregnancies.
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Katie It really is best to take the toy away (along with any other nursing toys ) and be 'bright and breezy' with Kaya keeping her busy to distract her if you can.
Leaving the toy will encourage the nursing behaviour and the production of milk.
I've taken it again when she wasn't looking I put it in kitchen and came back with a treat. She is now frantically sniffing and searching everywhere poor girl! I don't want it to get worse and it might be comforting if I give it back but in the long run I guess it would make it worse.
I've gave her a kong but she's not interested. There's been lots of changes going on in short space of time, we have moved house, different park, my oh has been working 12hour shifts and she's usually with him all day when I'm at work but I've been off for easter hols. No wonder she's confused!
Thanks everyone! We'll get through it there's lots worse things that could happen.
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by anonymousone View Post
Oh sorry to hear this, im a fan of these toys, as it sends my boy crazy, but understand the high pitch may sound confusing to her, as its different pitches, and also its soft latex, not the normal feel of a toy, bless her heart, take it away and give her a treats for the evening.
Lol that's what I thought when I picked it up, I thought we could have lots of fun with that. If only I'd known!

Malka you are so kind hearted I wanted to give it to her too, but suppose its being cruel to be kind.

Thanks Nippy, I'll try that if she's still bad tomorrow x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >