Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
So in answer to the origonal question do they hurt?
Yes, they can destroy skin and cause nasty burns, they make dogs yelp
it varies from one person to another and varies from day to day

So before you strap it on your dog brush your hair over your neck and apply the collar there, then have someone else try and train you something you dont understand and just randomly zap you wen you do what they dont want you to
So my fears that our rescue suffered damage from the collar his previous owner used could indeed be true
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by bint View Post
So my fears that our rescue suffered damage from the collar his previous owner used could indeed be true
I guess you will never no for sure but it is possible
Electricity burns and kills skin
Glad they ended up with you, at least you know they will never have to suffer that again
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Page 8. Voila
The cop out was you 'going to bed'---you always do that when it gets awkward----like when your OH has been put right on electricity for instance.

The cruelty was in using the collar on a confused rescue dog whose owner can walk it for 4 hours but can't be bothered to train it.

rune
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 06:00 AM
So before you strap it on your dog brush your hair over your neck and apply the collar there, then have someone else try and train you something you dont understand and just randomly zap you wen you do what they dont want you to
I would then say try wetting the hair, as most dogs on a high percentage of days end up wet under thier neck from long damp grass etc etc. Then give yourself a zap I bet that will hurt.
Would you be happy to use one on your children when they are tiny and you walk along the road, rather than hold thier hand or have them in a buggy? Apart from the fact you would be in court and losing your child because of child cruelty, I don't think anybody would truly want to be inflicting that pain on your own child, so why do it to your own dog as if its cruel for a child, its cruel for a dog.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
THAT made me laugh!! t'is true though, although we argue a lot about dogs and horses, I respect his scientific way of looking at things, rather than from my more emotional angle.
Gnasher, this reminds me of something I saw a while back, but forgot to comment on .

If you are impressed by scientific research, then you should really be listening to the people who are against shock collar use, (such as the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors) because much of their information against shock collar use is based on science and scrutiny of scientific papers, articles and so on. The RSPCA report against shock collasrs was based around scientific knowledge too.

There are also quite a few on here, muself included, who have studied to a level which included the science of dog training (and the use of shock collars in training), which often meant studying articles written by respected scientists in the field of animal behaviour.

I am only saying this because I hope it may help you to realise that what is said on here about shock collars isn't based on emotion, but on science. I believe emotion is also actually very important, but if it's the science that impresses, then hopefully you will understand that the strong feelings against the collars also have a scientific basis, if you like.

Wys
x
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Can i ask then gnasher,(off topic) are you still a fan of CMg dogs? You used to say if you wished you had started to CM hal "earlier" ,as it worked so well on him.
I pressume those techniques havent worked with Ben or there would no need for the ECollar ?
Sorry O/T, just wondering
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Can i ask then gnasher,(off topic) are you still a fan of CMg dogs? You used to say if you wished you had started to CM hal "earlier" ,as it worked so well on him.
I pressume those techniques havent worked with Ben or there would no need for the ECollar ?
Sorry O/T, just wondering
CM uses ecollars too...
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I guess you will never no for sure but it is possible
Electricity burns and kills skin
Glad they ended up with you, at least you know they will never have to suffer that again
Thank you, yes neither electric or prong collar!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-03-2011, 09:29 AM
I wonder for those of you who are e.collar advocates and insist they dont inflict pain.

You have a young child, a very very hyper one that simply refuses to listen to you, your at your wits end and need eyes in your backside because said child would be out under a bus in a flash if you took your eye of them.

Hey presto, your saved!! a a new invention a "childminder" you can get them in blue or pink, and it sits round their neck , then when said child decided he is not going to listen to you again, you can zap him, ...

After all it doesn't hurt, is simply a tap on the shoulder to get child's attention.

So come on, hands up!! would you use the same practice on an unruly child???

If you beleive , there is no pain involved, then there is no reason why you would not use the "child" version!!

Or the other option could be , take hold of the child's and and educate him \(takes time) that buses are dangerous.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
ur.

I am only saying this because I hope it may help you to realise that what is said on here about shock collars isn't based on emotion, but on science.
Wys
x
my objection to them is based on morality. Un-necessary cruelty is wrong. It damages the victim and the perpetrator.
The reason 99.99% of people on this forum are against shocking, beating, kicking and burning dogs is simply that they understand that.
I doubt you will get someone who is in denial of that to change with scientific facts. Counselling perhaps.
Page 17 of 42 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »