View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2009, 09:56 AM
CM is a businessman.. he makes money on dog training/TV shows/Books etc..

Most of us has changed our training methods over the many years, we've had dogs... But CM is a 'STAR'..

Unless you know him personally, I don't think you can say what he did or didn't do, in order to access the dog.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 10:06 AM
ok so twist it on its head, isn'y naffing off an unwanted behaviour??
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Please note this moderators message in post 88, I think some people may have missed it..

Off topic posts removed, please stay on topic

Before you post please consider if you are making a constructive 'on topic' contribution to the thread and please take your personal arguments off the thread. Use the ignore feature if you must.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Lene View Post
CM is a businessman.. he makes money on dog training/TV shows/Books etc..

Most of us has changed our training methods over the many years, we've had dogs... But CM is a 'STAR'..

Unless you know him personally, I don't think you can say what he did or didn't do, in order to access the dog.
You only have to watch his programmes and see his methods to know that the only assessment the dog has is whether it has the particular behaviour he is trying to correct. He doesn't appear to establish anything with regards to what the dog actually knows. And just because he's a STAR doesn't mean he actually knows anything about dog behaviour, which is clearly bourne out in his programmes.
Becky
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
You only have to watch his programmes and see his methods to know that the only assessment the dog has is whether it has the particular behaviour he is trying to correct. He doesn't appear to establish anything with regards to what the dog actually knows. And just because he's a STAR doesn't mean he actually knows anything about dog behaviour, which is clearly bourne out in his programmes.
Becky
I agree, Becky... Fully...!

When I say. he's a 'STAR', I mean that people want to watch the things he does with the dogs...

I've read some of his books, seen some clips on the computer, and I don't agree at all with some of his methods...

He's popular because of the 'results' he get.. but these 'results' are questionable, because you never get the whole story...
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Lene View Post
I agree, Becky... Fully...!

When I say. he's a 'STAR', I mean that people want to watch the things he does with the dogs...

I've read some of his books, seen some clips on the computer, and I don't agree at all with some of his methods...

He's popular because of the 'results' he get.. but these 'results' are questionable, because you never get the whole story...
i also wonder how far he would of got in his 'buisness' if he had never met 'will smiths' wife?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
i also think he says that,because he doent know how to train dogs,yes he was brought up in mexico,but moved to america at an early age,groomed dogs,wanted to work with dogs,so did he not learn 'a different way' than on his farm at home? but how can he be a behaviorist and not see that basic commands help us to communicate what we want from our dogs?the two combined rather than dominanceand e/prong collars?
This is what puzzles me too, his supporters are often heard claiming, he is NOT a dog trainer, he only deals with problem dogs.......... tell me how can you deal with a problem dog if you dont have the basic understanding of base level commands...sit/dowm/stay/wait , recall.... surely one should have an understanding on how to achieve these basic commands

Even some the the UK TV behaviourists use basis commands in rehabilitating problem dogs.

How can you teach a constant jumper /nipper/puller to stop doing these things , if you dont know how to condition a dog to understand them
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Very interesting article, including video clips, by a behaviourist/vet:

The Dominance Controversy & Cesar Millan
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2009, 02:17 PM
That's a very interesting article Merlin's Mum.

I felt so sad for Emily the Pitbull, not least because the owners hadn't gotten on top of the situation sooner. At the beginning of the clip, when she gets so excited after spying another dog, the tone of voice the owner uses sounds to me like he is encouraging her. The dog can't understand the words, only hears the one of voice.

I do agree with the article, and don't think that CM is right about dominance. But I do like his theory of being calm and assertive, which is how I am with my dogs

I guess though, that if a dog doesn't see you as 'the boss' (or at least as something that is interesting) you wouldn't be able to recall it. Which is why you have to build up a bond with a dog before you can establish a good recall.
Briard Lover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2009, 02:30 PM
We had Amber at eight weeks old, she was answering her name with in two days, and sitting, staying and down within a week. Some people think it's wrong to train them so young but I think it's the right time. All they need is time and lots of love and a puppy will do most things you ask of it.
Page 22 of 25 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 >