View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2009, 10:59 PM
I know someone who is over 80 and she lost her dog last year she would love another dog and has been thinking about taking on an oldie but is too busy at the moment! She is a fit lady and enjoyed walking her old dog daily, I walked him a couple of years ago when she was ill for a couple of weeks and everyone knew the dog when I took him for his usual walks because he was always walked and I know she is well able to do the same for another dog.I think it depends on your fitness and lifestyle as much as anything else like age.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 04:12 AM
I'm 57 now and a collie pup will be on its way next week that makes 4 collies oh and by the way we have already got a pug
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 05:24 AM
Difficult question to answer. I think it would depend on how I was feeling and how active I was.
We adopted a middle aged terrier in Missy, mainly because we thought anyone would take the youngsters and we wanted to give an older dog a chance. We'll probably just carry on in that vein until we feel too old to have a dog at all.
colliemagic
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Im 60 (Help!) in a couple of weeks time and we have 1 bcx springer, 2 bcs, and a flatcoat, the oldest being 5 years old. At the moment I am very tempted to have a pup (come on Jeanette help me convince OH I need something to occupy my time now I have retired!).

As long as I can walk the dogs I will have at least one dog in my life, after all they help to keep me fit!
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Lets be honest why should I need to persuade you
colliemagic
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Its not me you need to persuade it s OH!! I have already convinced myself I need a puppy fix!! lol.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Dogs should be available on prescription !! Why else would I be out walking in the freezing cold, pouring rain, howling wind, with flu and a terrible cold and cough !!

I know so many people who have become spherical since they lost their dog and have no excuse to walk any more ! If and until I become so old and crippled that I can no longer walk, I shall always have my own personal trainer !!
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-05-2009, 11:33 AM
I wont have to worry about any of this for a long time thankfully being a spring chicken but the way I see it is, as people we're all living so much longer it seems now..your 70's arent seen as the end of your days anymore as so many get to their mid eighties and beyond it seems, and as decades draw on medical science will probably have us all living into triple figures-PLEASE GOD NO! So it does depend on the individual
Though even at this age a lethal mix of ditsy springers and naughty terriers nearly kill me so when Im old and crinkly I rekon i'll move on to summat more sedate, roll on the corgis!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 11:43 AM
We said no more dogs, definitely NO MORE puppies 2 years ago, and here we are, I'm an old crinkly at 58 and hubby is getting that way at 48, and what have we got??? A gsd puppy, but then, she will keep me fit, she will give me a reason to get up and out first thing every morning, and as for holding her, I managed to hold a 50kg gsd in one hand and a boistrous young 37 kg in the other when the old boy wanted to assault an afghan hound the other night, how I did it I will never know, but I did! If I can hold half a ton of horse with my legs and arms, I'm sure two gsd's are a doddle!!!

I will still be walking Zena at 70 years old I hope, and if I'm not here, then Dave should be at 10 years my junior so he can take over! When I'm really old, I will get a mobility scooter, or maybe an old rescue if I can't manage much of a walk, but Zena will definitely be our very LAST puppy at this ripe old age that's for sure!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 11:47 AM
I had nearly died three times when I got Takara and I was only 17

I knew I had a good network of people and it was understood with the breeder that if anything ever happens to me then my parents can take Takara if they wish to or she goes back to her.

I'm sure that I'll have to downsize to an 'easier' breed at some point (maybe next time! ) but I can't imagine being without a dog at all. If I didn't have the support around me to care for a dog I wouldn't get one but if I had enough support and knew the dog had somewhere to go then I doubt age would stop me. You can drop dead at any time!

Eddy's no trouble really and my mum would keep him on for the rest of his days if anything happened to me but I also have a queue of people around the block waiting to take him He is rather adorable...
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >