Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
but that it the whole point of my post.......some people are forced to work or lose their jobs!!
But Jols, if they are forced to work or lose their jobs and they don't want to, then surely all they do is hop off and find themselves another job that doesn't open on BHs?
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 10:47 AM
It is personal choice. I know people who want to work on 'peak' days, for various reasons, extra pay being one of them, (depending where people work of course).
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 10:48 AM
but that it the whole point of my post.......some people are forced to work or lose their jobs!!

Again presuming they must have chosen that work, and working on Sundays/bank holidays come with it.

I know several people who work on retail who aren't working because they had the foresight to book holiday, and the others who are working are enjoying the fact they can pay their rent in January with a little to spare.

People are often working/living hand to mouth or supporting debts they may well moan about working but at the end of the day do it to help themselves keep their jobs - I can't see anything wrong with that, it's not slavery they are being paid.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
But Jols, if they are forced to work or lose their jobs and they don't want to, then surely all they do is hop off and find themselves another job that doesn't open on BHs?
Yes indeed they could

but why don't they is what I ask them when they moan on, they just shrug their shoulders.

So the only thing I can do to help is stop people shopping on boxing day but as this thread proves its gonna be hard.....................
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 10:49 AM
I work most Sundays and half day Saturday (3 out of 4) we are an information centre as well as a small shop.

People working in the recreation industries need to be available weekends, thats when most people need us.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Yes indeed they could

but why don't they is what I ask them when they moan on, they just shrug their shoulders.

So the only thing I can do to help is stop people shopping on boxing day but as this thread proves its gonna be hard.....................
I think we all moan about our jobs from time to time - if you ever hear me moaning don't try to change my work or stop people using me if I really didn't like it I would change but part of my enjoyment of it is having a moan about it
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
What about the folk who work Monday - Saturday (sometimes Sunday - like myself) and are tired at the end of each day that they can't be bothered with shops as they have chores to do and dogs to walk, groom and play with? Sundays may be the only day they (I) have.

Please, get with the real world folks and stop living in the past!

Shops opening Sundays haven't ruined family life. As we've said, many professions have to work Sundays and that has been the case for many years.

Lack of morals, standards, discipline and the PC brigade have! Just IMO, of course.
My , what a condescending attitude towards those of us who remember a different era.

Because we remember , it does not make us incapable of living in the present. we know perfectly well what the "real world " consists of.

No, Sunday/bank holiday is not the reason family life and morality has been lost , but it plays its small part in the drip drip effect of whats lost in society.

Originally Posted by Ramble
I am aware of that and have spent a Christmas Day on my own when my OH had to work.
I just don't think shops should be open...my opinion...I like it when they are closed, makes it all feel more special. Christmas to me, isn't about going out shopping on Boxing Day...but then given I HATE shopping...
I`m with you on that one.

Whats two days out of the yr, its not going to bankrupt any one.

At the risk of being called a dinosaur (for not living in the real world) I remember when two days out of the yr was for family, Christmas and Boxing day, all shops closed, visiting family and friends or just staying in and enjoying the tranquility of it all, not to mention ofcause the true meaning of Christmas in the first place.

And its not fighting your way through hoards of people pushing and shoving to get the bargain of the century
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
My , what a condescending attitude towards those of us who remember a different era.

Because we remember , it does not make us incapable of living in the present. we know perfectly well what the "real world " consists of.

No, Sunday/bank holiday is not the reason family life and morality has been lost , but it plays its small part in the drip drip effect of what counts in society.

I`m with you on that one.

Whats two days out of the yr, its not going to bankrupt any one.

At the risk of being called a dinosaur (for not living in the real world) I remember when two days out of the yr was for family, Christmas and Boxing day, all shops closed, visiting family and friends or just staying in and enjoying the tranquility of it all, not to mention ofcause the true meaning of Christmas in the first place.

And its not fighting your way through hoards of people pushing and shoving to get the bargain of the century
Hear hear, on all accounts.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Not sure what personal insults have to do with shops open on boxing day?

But, good to see the proper discussion is now back on.

I do agree with what you're saying Julie but then I also like the idea of shops shut, so everyone can spend their day off together doing things other than shopping.
Tell that to your pal Jols.

I know you're only commenting in such a way because it's me and it's quite amusing actually.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Tell that to your pal Jols.

I know you're only commenting in such a way because it's me and it's quite amusing actually.
It was aimed at both of you. Coming across like silly little school girls having a fight.
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 12 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >