Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2004, 03:26 PM

Names

From a sample of 3 (Emma Pete and myself) which is not a scientific survey by any means, I have seen that new dogs, of the same breed/similar appearance, have been given similar names to those that went before

Emma's Jazz is near to Jess
Pete's Cody is like Chaos and
Dinah is close to Dolly.

It certainly wasn't a conscious decision in my case. For ages I'd thought my 'sometime' staffie girl would be Sybil, then I saw pictures of Dinah but called her Florence for a while - toyed with crazies (Tallulah?????), looked at others, esp with the 4 July birthday (Indie [Emma would've killed me], Dandy, Doodle, Glory) - looked at other jazz related names, but Dinah (Washington) is perfect.

So, is it just coincidence, or is it something unconscious about replacing a loved one?

How did you all chose your dogs' names?
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2004, 03:38 PM
Hi Dinah well we went from Sam to Gus - not similair except both are short with three letters in

toyed with crazies (Tallulah?????),
I toyed with that too- lovely name but I would have looked nuts shouting that through the woods
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2004, 03:39 PM
I honestly cant remember, how Luna came along.

I was trying to find names with 2 sylabells (sp?), and I might have seen it on a site for dognames or in the telly.

Her name on her pedigree is Blis.

The dog we had, when I lived at home was called Bonnie, so nothing near that....

But its fun to think about though

I think my next one will be called Mollie, so it wont be 2 ending on A
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2004, 03:43 PM
well we have poppy, daisy, candy , buddy, had molly, ben amber and milo but i didnt name him.The next staffy bitch will end in a y so any ideas?
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2004, 03:55 PM
I wanted to call Penny Meg or Megan, but mum wanted to call her Penny. And at 8 you don't fight with your mum, soooooooo.

Lucy was called Lucy because it just came to me. I really have no idea how it did.

Tamino was called Tamino, because the breeder needed a T name for this litter. She had chosen 2 names, Tamino and Tass. So I chose Tamino.

Though when I was looking for names for him I was considering some along the "normal" line, like Piper, Max, Bandit (that would have fit him quite well actually ). Then I was also thinking about a few strange names like Pirate, Pax, Phao, Kajsa, Kavik, Timber, Seraph and my pet favs CHAOS or Cougar. Then I had the idea of a traditional herding dog name or a name that is fast, and from that I got Sweep, Nip (also appropriate ), Rascal, Gyp, Flash, Dart.

I COULD have chosen a new call name for him. But you see, his breeder is very forceful, and I'm a wee bit scared of her.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2004, 04:25 PM
Hi.

Well previous Staffords were "Prince" he came with that name as he was a rescue.
Then a dog Sam and a bitch Gipsy. Then a bitch again and as her KC name was Gypsy Dancer The name Gyp was born.

Now have Sal very similar to Sam and easy to call. Tess is a first as is Sal. But toyed with Millie for her settled on Rio then due to a name clash changed her to Tess.
Couldn't have another Gyp/Gypsy but I do think the name suits black bitches perfectly. If I have a "dog" he will be either; Fred, Syd or Billy.

Karen
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by candie
well we have poppy, daisy, candy , buddy, had molly, ben amber and milo but i didnt name him.The next staffy bitch will end in a y so any ideas?
MIZZY !!! cos thats what Indie was origionally going to be called
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2004, 05:01 PM
I'd go with Gypsy then
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-10-2004, 05:24 PM
Stars name came about cause she had a small white star shape on her chin.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2004, 05:25 PM
My first bitch was Lara (that's the name she came with, she was a rescue)

Jasper (cos it was the only name he'd respond too, also a rescue dog)

Tammy (that's the name she came with also a rescue dog)

My next 'bitch' we are gonna call Sicilly (that is if the name suits her)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >