register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Did your rescue come with issues?
Yes, severe issues that have taken a while to work on.. 18 42.86%
Yes, but they were fairly easily resolved 13 30.95%
No, no problems 11 26.19%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 06:18 AM
Gosh...where to being....I shall start with the easiest

Poppy (Rough Collie, ex show dog)

Kennelled for all of her life (4 when she came to us) never lived in a house, terrified of the washer, hoover, telly, normal household noises. Not house trained (took ages!) Sensitive gut, snatchy with food, Hadnt been walked, so terrified of cars/vans/lorries, anything thats not meant to be there.

Rupert (spaniel x stray/poundie)
Pulled on lead (like you would not believe) hated being touched (very growly) hated being left alone (SA)

Kerrie (Dogs Trust 2008, abused stray (had numerous wounds on her, and was 6kgs underweight)

DA, Seperation Anxiety, No recall, Pulled like a train, no toilet training (that was easy tho) didnt like men, foriegn people (esp asian) people with walking sticks/spades/brooms in hands, completely bonkers, raided cupboards/fridges/freezers, chased (and killed) small furries/feathereds, bust fences/crates to get out (or to get in )

Think thats about it
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Golly----here goes. Probably not a true representation because I was involved with one rescue and ended up with s few rejects!

Also what one person may think of as an issue or a problem might not be a problem for someone else. I am pretty easy going and quite geared up to dogs so maybe the ones I thought of as easy might not be if they were elsewher---Benj being a case in point. Also communal living causes some problems where they wouldn't arise in a one dog household. Same the other way on.

She Ra, 10 mth GSD from Wood Green, dog and human aggressive. Bit hyper till I realised she had food issues. Got her because I knew the then superintendant there and she thought I could take her on else she was headed to be pts.

Skip, 6mth WSD from small local rescue, sort of difficult (Tassles first dog) but very focused and if she had been clickered I think would have been fantastic.

Annie, JRT pup dumped on doorstep----lovely no issues.

Panda, 10 year old wsd from small local rescue, felt as if he had always been with us, lovely dog lived till he was 16---did bark a lot when travelling (from Lincolnshire to Cornwall!)

Merlin, collie retriever x rehomed aged 18mths. Amazing dog but could be dog aggressive occassionally. Very noisy and strong dog but basically nice. Needed to work at something.

Jezz, rehomed aged 6 agility dog, lovely dog worried a lot. Crawl up you nose wsd.

Pootle, x breed rescue from large rescue aged about 14, lived 6mths, no issues

George, x springer rehomed privately aged about 18mths came originally from large rescue, issues too numerous to list. Would bite but learned to trust.

Saff wsd aged about 18mths, rehome. Lovely dog no issues but crawl up nose and worried a lot.

Pippin spaniel/collie feral dog rescued via dog warden and large rescue, aged over 8 mths. Still has numerous issues but loads better (is now about 11).

Polly, wsd rehomed from large rescue aged 2. Would bite and still will if paniced. Now 13.

Champa lab x lurcher rehomed privately aged 10 mths, dog aggression issues, seperation issues. Now 13.

Rusty terrier, rehomed aged 14, did have a few issues but calmed down. Died at 19.

Coo, small dog peke x papillion, no issues. Private rehome cause rescues full at the time.

Ben wsd recent rehome aged 4, no huge issues except the chasing cars/tractors/bikes and maybe children---I haven't found a tame child to try it out yet!

rune

Does Flighty not count????
MrsC
New Member!
Female 

06-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Just to mention that there are SO many lovely Labs in rescue - my Lab was a rescue and honestly, though we had some problems at first, he is the sweetest, friendliest dog you could wish to meet

There are several Labrador-specific rescues, also.
I've just googled lab rescue in the south east. Definitely something to consider for the future. Funnily enough I didn't think of specific breed rescue. I was looking at greyhounds from the Brighton & Hove retired racers because someone had told me about it and Brighton's not too far from us. However, hubby was quite keen on a puppy. I don't think he realised what furry little devils they can be! But so much fun and very loveable.
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2011, 09:37 PM
We are first-time dog owners (well; other than the dog my husband had as a child).

I looked at various rescue websites and lots of lovely dogs before coming across Whisper. My main 'requirement' for a dog was that it would be ok with my small furries and rabbits. We didn't want to take on a dog with any 'major' issues as we are obviously inexperienced.

Whisper was a dog who we expected to have issues - she was nervous and 'head shy' at the rescue and afraid of men. Although a stray she was microchipped so the rescue was able to find out some history on her and it seemed she ended up with an alcoholic man who sadly abused and mistreated her.

We expected to be adopting a nervous dog with some issues but we felt that we had the patience to help her work through them and the rescue were obviously happy to provide as much back-up as necessary.

Well Whisper has been a dream dog tbh! She is clean, non-destructive, gentle and easy to walk. She travels well in the car and is fine with being left for a reasonable amount of time (4 hours is the most she has been left for - no mess, no destruction, no noise in our absence). She settled in with us so fast it was amazing and by the end of her first day with us she was already fine with my husband. She eats well too (though needed some reassurance whilst eating to start with). A few days in she had stopped barking at the rabbits and after only 2 1/2 weeks she ignores them or just looks at them and they ignore her lol. She's been fine with the small furries too. We've had several visitors who she's been fine with including two children. She even let the two children take in turns having her on her lead (supervised of course) quite happily and has just been brilliant all round.

Tbh I can't really say she has any 'issues' as far as I am concerned other than that she is nervous of other dogs (no aggression though), is scared of men waving sticks about, is shy with strangers and is terrified of aerosols and doesn't like the washing machine! None of these issues particularly cause any problems for us and as first-time owners we can't believe how easy she has been and how quickly she has settled into our life. xx xx

We are working on her recall but as she responds very well to a whistle we are making very good progress. She's learning to enjoy playing again (need to ask about toys as I'd like some advice on that one!) and we are thoroughly enjoying watching her character blossom.

The only 'problem' with adopting Whisper is that I think I am now officially a Rough Collie addict - - and I honestly can't imagine having any other kind of dog lol. Love her to bits and have absolutely no regrets about going to a rescue.
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6