Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
endisforever
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-05-2010, 08:31 PM

Puppy scared of traffic

our pup is now 14 weeks old and is out for walks but when she hears the sound of engine she will kind of shut down and stop walking.

if you give her a little pull to come forward she will then start walking again fine untill she hears the next car.

then the same happens

when she was younger she was out in the front garden near the gate which is close to a road but not really to busy so she had come across cars beforeher jabs were al done.

any tips to get her walking proply or getting used to cars
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-05-2010, 02:00 AM
This is best dealt with before 12 weeks when puppies still accept new things easily. Waiting until they have all their shots to take them out creates other problems.

Try moving back far enough from a busy street she no longer shows fear. Then do obedience drills. Slowly work closer praising her and giving her treats when she stay on task. It may or may not be too late to correct the problem. The problems of neglecting early socialization are well documented in the behavioral studies.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 05:48 AM
Gentle coaxing and loads of patience would be my advice. Good luck!

Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by endisforever View Post
our pup is now 14 weeks old and is out for walks but when she hears the sound of engine she will kind of shut down and stop walking.

if you give her a little pull to come forward she will then start walking again fine until she hears the next car.

then the same happens

when she was younger she was out in the front garden near the gate which is close to a road but not really to busy so she had come across cars beforeher jabs were al done.

any tips to get her walking proply or getting used to cars
Hi Karl I would try taking your puppy somewhere where cars can be observed from a safe distance. Go armed with a supply of high value treats (like chicken pieces) and a squeaky toy if she likes them and talk to her in a bright voice ignoring the cars, use the treats to get your puppy's attention and to help her associate the cars with good things.

Once your puppy is ignoring the cars try moving a little closer to them to a point where she is still comfortable and repeat the ignore the cars /give treats. If possible do this for a few minutes a number of times each day
Eventually your puppy should get used to cars.

When walking on pavements it is advisable to keep the puppy on the inside of the path.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 12:32 PM
I agree with Mini, I had similar problems with Kia she was scared of everything. I regularly took her into town and had people feed her treats and gave her lots of treats when cars/motorbikes went past, she doesn't bat an eye at anything now.

Good luck
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi when I first had Dizzy she was petrified of traffic noise and would try to bolt. She was so frightened that she wouldn't even take a high value treat from me. I armed myself with a good book and sat on a bench near a not too busy road and persevered on a daily basis until she was comfortable with that then progressed to trying to walk along the pavement. She still shows a bit of fright when a loud lorry or bike go by but she soon forgets it now.

Good luck