Our sister sites
Our sister sites
doglvr
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2007, 04:32 PM

My dog killed another dog

Hello-

It is with a heavy heart I found your site today and registered. Monday afternoon was probably the worst day of my life. I apologize in advance for the long post.

We own three large dogs, a 9-year old Ridgeback (male), a 7-year old hound mix (female) we rescued in Belize, and 5-year old mastiff/boxer (male) mix. The mastiff/boxer showed up at my mom's back door 4 1/2 years ago; no one claimed him, though we advertised everywhere. We had just lost another dog we'd rescued from Belize and didn't want to have 3 dogs again, but we couldn't find a home for this dog and our other dogs welcomed him instantly, so we kept him. Thus, we didn't know anything about his rearing/history. Nonetheless, he's been a great dog. He's a big, strong boy (80 lbs) and plays hard; we've sent him to a doggy daycare and worked with a trainer to make sure he's socialized. His name is Bond.

On Monday, I took the dogs with me in our ForeRunner; they often accompany us. They are awful in the car though when they see another dog and usually start barking. We've been working on correcting that behavior with our trainer. On Monday, however, Bond jumped out the window of the car before I knew what was happening; the window was down about 1/3 so it's insane that he could squeeze out. He jumped on top of a small dog, a silkie. By the time I got out of the car, the man walking the dog had Bond off the dog and Bond was sitting on the sidewalk looking at him and his two dogs casually. I threw Bond back in the car and proceeded to check the small dog. The man kept telling me he would be fine, that these things happen, that the dog was just in shock, and that they'd just get him home for some rest. I was beside myself and insisted that we take him to the vet. We found one small puncture wound, but it was so superficial it stopped bleeding when we cleaned it. But, the dog was nearly 13. The man asked me to drive him and the two dogs home (he was just walking the dogs for his elderly neighbors), so I held the dogs while he drove my car. My dogs welcomed the dogs and didn't bark or flinch when we got in the car (we do have a dog divider between the front and back). But, as we drove, I could feel the life leaving this little dog. He seemed fine on the sidewalk, but within 10 minutes of holding him, he began to fade. The man still didn't want to go to the vet and I was beside myself. We got to the owners' home and not long after the dog died in my arms. I believe he had a heart attack. The owner and the walker were so surreal, trying to console me. I have put many pets to sleep in my life, but never lived through anything like this.

I called their vet, paid for the cremation and have made a donation to the humane society in the dog's name. I called our trainer and I have an appointment with our vet tomorrow to discuss what happened and our options. I have never felt so sick, sad and awful. I feel entirely responsible that I didn't act quickly enough or do something. Our trainer loves Bond and doesn't think he's a mean dog, but that his prey instinct is very strong. He catches mice in our yard and has brought birds in too. I don't know what to think. We love him, but we don't understand how this could have happened. He has played fabulously with our dogs for 4+ years and we even have neighbors who call us to ask if he can come out and play with their goldendoodles. He's a big, powerful dog though, so we're ALWAYS careful never to let him off leash unsupervised anywhere.

I'm absolutely devastated. I love dogs and all animals. I had planned on becoming a vet, but after spending time w/ our vet, I realized my heart was too weak to ever deal with the tragedies surrounding animals. Now, I have my own.

Please let me know your thoughts, what else we should do for the owners who lost their dog and what else we should do about Bond.

Thank you.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Oh boy, what can I say, I was glued to the page reading your story!

How can you blame yourself though? This was one of those things that was out of your control I think, a terrible unforseen tragedy. One thing's for sure, I won't be leaving my back window 1/3rd open now when my big gsd is in the back because he too has started barking at other dogs on our trip up to our walking spot! You've frightened me to death about what might happen now!

Poor you, I know how you must feel, but you can't beat yourself up over something that was totally unforseen and out of the blue. I wouldn't have thought for an instant that my big dog could get through a gap in a car window, but now I'm not so sure, so I will take measures.

I think those people already know how much this has upset you, just like it would any one of us, and you've done all the necessary on your part, but to think of something else to do for them I really can't think of anything. Maybe ask him if he'd like another dog later on in time??? Not just go round there and blatently ask! I mean, get talking to him, visit him and see how he's doing, because to have somebody walking his dog means he's maybe living on his own and could possibly do with a bit of help with something you could help him out with??

I hope you come to some sort of terms with yourself over this, you must feel really awful I do know that. It might make YOU feel a bit better if you did go round to this man again just for a chat perhaps? Only you know the answer to that??

..... and no, you couldn't be a vet, for the same reasons I couldn't!

Try and forgive yourself for what's happened, it really wasn't your fault, even if you think it was. There but for the Grace of God, but I'll be keeping my back window shut from now on. You take care of yourself.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2007, 04:58 PM
What a horrible thing to happen.

I can't really offer any advice. From what you have described it seems that it was bad luck that the wee dog died - more due to its age and being scared than any physical harm your dog did. Yes, your dog should never have gone for the other, but there are an awful lot of us who have dogs that have taken a dislike to another dog at one time or other.

To me there is a huge difference from a dog savaging another to death and an old dog who's heart gives up from the shock (if I've understood right what seems to have happened).

I don't think there was anything else you could have done for the other dog or his owner.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2007, 05:00 PM
I agree with Helena also bear in mind that the dog was 13, if it had been a younger dog it may well be alive today and its not your dog that physically killed it but the shock...... I also feel you have done everything you could possibly do and please try to stop beating yourself up over this.... just learn from this what you can speak to the behaviourist and discuss more training ideas maybe. i really can't pretend to be an expert I am just speaking my mind, I only hope it helps a little xx
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Oh my gosh, what an utterly terrible thing to happen to that poor person's dog !! They are being very good about it, I know I couldn't be that forgiving, that's for sure.

I don't think you can blame yourself though and I totally understand how awful you must feel. I couldn't be a vet for the same reasons as you. It's just too heartbreaking.

Well done for helping with costs and making a donation.

Youve done the responsible thing though and working with your dog to correct his behaviour etc.

I do feel for you.
doglvr
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Oh, thank you Helena. After it happened, I called my husband and he rushed over to the owners' home from work. He helped them put the dog in a bag. And we told the woman we would come back later this week to visit her. It's not much, but we thought we would come by with flowers and tell her again how sorry we are. I don't want to upset her further though, if seeing us conjures up all those awful memories.

She has another 13-year old silkie, one that was there when it all happened. She told us, "Don't worry, I still have another dog." It sounded so odd to me, but I think she was in shock and trying to make me feel better.

All my friends and family tell me that it wasn't my fault. But, ultimately, I do take responsibility for my dogs' actions and I can't stop blaming myself. Maybe with time it will get better.

Please do keep your windows up, or at least just cracked. I never imagined Bond could and would go through the window. Whether it was the prey instinct or him being protective of the car, I don't know. But, it was certainly one of those things I hadn't applied all my checks and balances to, despite being overly vigilant in other areas.

Thank you again for your kind words and feedback.
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2007, 05:43 PM
What a nightmare for you. But you acted very responsibly in a horrible situation, and I am sure a visit from you later in the week would be appreciated.

You do seem to be very attuned to animals though and it seems a shame that you couldn't become a vet......but perhaps there will be another role for you in the animal world.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-11-2007, 05:44 PM
How awful for you and the owner of the poor little dog.
I don't think you can do anymore than you have you have taken responsibility for your dogs actions and not tried to excuse your dogs behaviour for that you should be given compassion and try to realise it was an horrendous accident.
Luckily having an estate car and a dog guard my windows can be open not fully and my dog cannot access them and having the sunroof helps.
If ever I change my car and do not have the facilities I have at the moment I will bear this in mind.
Taking some flowers is a a nice gesture besides all the other things you have done for them,I hope you are able to find peace soon over this tragedy.And welcome to dogsey.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Hi, first off "WELCOME TO DOGSEY"!

I am sorry that it is such a sad situation that has bought you here.

Many years ago, a women knocked my cat over. She was extremely upset and we had to drag my cat out from under a parked car where it had ran, very injured. She drove me and my cat to the local vet and offered to pay for my cats injuries (which i declined). My cat was on the edge of life for about a week and then another 6 months for her injuries to heal. This lady knocked on my door every day for several weeks asking how her progress was. Which i regarded as very thoughtful. After this situation i have now become very good friends with her, we talk at least 4 times a week.

I don't know if this helps, i know my cat didn't die and it is different situation but a tradegy did make a good friendship.

This was an accident and you never ment for it to happen and you were very sorry to the owner.

I think you need to be very carefull in future with this dog. Speak to your behaviourist but i would be very worried just out walking in case he does it again to another small dog. The fact that there was a puncture wound is serious. I am no expert but i think i would muzzle the dog whilst in places where other small dogs could come and meet yours etc. This is just my opinion.

I hope that things improve and i think you sound a very kind and thoughtful person, just don't take any risks.
doglvr
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Thank you again, everyone, for responding. Shiba, you're right about the muzzle. In fact, we have one that we were using intermittently to try to help curb the barking in the car, among other training tools (spray bottle, noise distractors). I could just kick myself repeatedly for not having it on him Monday. Going forward, we will have it on him whenever we go out. In the meantime, we are waiting to see if our county animal control agency receives a report and weighs in. It's a very scary time for us, on so many levels. Thank you again for your support, everyone.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >