Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
I didn't know there was a 3 year jab, maybe my vet is thinking £££ rather than what's best for Jack, but when we had Jack's booster done, he said that when we have it re-done, it should be with in the 12-15 months mark, after that, he would have to have the full course again and not just the booster, from reading others replys this sounds a bit OTT.
Hi if you can find out the make of the vaccs your vet has used you can search on the internet to find the manufactures info on them. Nobivac by Intervet for instance is one of the makes covered for 3yrs.

If your vet hasn't been using vaccs that cover 3yrs you could ask to switch to another make that does. With many makes now lasting 3yrs there really isn't the need to have the full lot done yearly, you will still have Lepto and PI done yearly, but you would just have Distemper, Hepatitis & Parvo done every 3yrs (instead of having all of those plus Lepto & PI done each and every single year - which many now agree is overkill)
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks myschievous, I've just had a look and the stickers on his certificate say vanguard 7 (da2pi) & (cpv-l) ithink, the writing is so small I will definatly look into the 3 years jab
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
Thanks myschievous, I've just had a look and the stickers on his certificate say vanguard 7 (da2pi) & (cpv-l) ithink, the writing is so small I will definatly look into the 3 years jab
No problem...This may well be one of the few that still recomend yeary full vaccs - if so you could ask the vets to switch to another make If you search 'vaccinations' etc here you will find lots of info about this
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 10:33 AM
I've just had a look at my Westie's vaccination record. This is what i've found:

First visit to vet at 10 weeks old: NOBIVAC DHPPI and NOBIVAC LEPTO 2.

Second visit to vet at 12 weeks old: NOBIVAC DHPPI and NOBIVAC LEPTO 2.

A year later, 1 year and 2 months old: NOBIVAC DHPPI and NOBIVAC LEPTO 2.

Another year later, 2 years and 2 months old: NOBIVAC PI and NOBIVAC LEPTO 2.

Another year later, 3 years and 2 months old: NOBIVAC PI and NOBIVAC LEPTO 2.

Next vaccinations are due in November, when Molly (Westie) will be 4 years and 2 months old.

Does this sound about right? I'm going to enquire next time i'm there, which will be with my crossbreed in August this year.

We first acquired her in August last year, and this is what vaccinations she got then:

NOBIVAC DHPPI and NOBIVAC LEPTO 2.

2 weeks later:

NOBIVAC PI and NOBIVAC LEPTO 2.

It looks like after the 2 years since we got Molly (Westie), they could perhaps have changed the DHPPI vaccinations to just PI. Has the DHPPI vaccine now been changed to be given 3 yearly? Could it be that if you have a puppy, the DHPPI vaccine is given twice as a young puppy, and again at a year old, then 3 yearly?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Looked up the vaccine information, here is what i've found:

Nobivac DHPPi
Vaccination will give your dog protection against diseases like distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus, infection and parainfluenza infection. Your puppy should be vaccinated at the earliest opportunity and boosters should be maintained throughout the dog’s lifetime. Just like human vaccines, the immunity provided by each vaccine will wane and we recommend your dog is boosted every three years to maintain optimum protection against distemper, hepatits and parvo virus infection. Although the healthcheck and annual vaccination against leptospirosis and parainfluenza infection will still be required.
Legal Category: POM

Nobivac DHPPi contains live, attenuated, freeze dried canine distemper virus, canine adenovirus-2 (CAV2), canine parvovirus and canine parainfluenza virus. For uses, dosage, contra-indications and warnings, see datasheet. Nobivac DHPPi may only be prescribed and administered by your veterinary surgeon from whom advice should be sought. Further information is available on request.

Nobivac Lepto 2
Canine leptospirosis is caused by bacteria spread in the urine of infected animals. Two main forms of the disease exist including one contracted from rats and wildlife and the other is contracted from the infected urine of other dogs. Leptospirosis is a zoonotic disease and can be spread to humans, causing a disease known as Weil’s Disease.
Legal Category: POM

Nobivac Lepto2 contains a liquid suspension of Leptospira interrogans serogroups Canicola (strain Ca 12-000) and Icterohaemorrhagiae (strain 820K). Nobivac Lepto2 can only be prescribed by your veterinary surgeon from whom advice should be sought. Further information is available on request.

Nobivac Pi A live monovalent vaccine to reduce clinical signs of canine parainfluenza virus infection.

So, it looks like my Westie will be receiving NOBIVAC DHPPI and NOBIVAC LEPTO 2 this year.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I've just had a look at my Westie's vaccination record. This is what i've found:

Next vaccinations are due in November, when Molly (Westie) will be 4 years and 2 months old.

Does this sound about right? I'm going to enquire next time i'm there, which will be with my crossbreed in August this year.

We first acquired her in August last year, and this is what vaccinations she got then:

2 weeks later:

It looks like after the 2 years since we got Molly (Westie), they could perhaps have changed the DHPPI vaccinations to just PI. Has the DHPPI vaccine now been changed to be given 3 yearly? Could it be that if you have a puppy, the DHPPI vaccine is given twice as a young puppy, and again at a year old, then 3 yearly?
It sounds right so your dogs only get their full DHPPI booster every 3 years and lepto and PI annually.

So, it looks like my Westie will be receiving NOBIVAC DHPPI and NOBIVAC LEPTO 2 this year.
Yes she should then not again til she is 7 years old.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks Carole, I think it sounds ok too.

It looks like my Westie will be getting DHPPI and LEPTO 2 vaccines this year, as it will have been 3 since she got her last DHPPI.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
It sounds right so your dogs only get their full DHPPI booster every 3 years and lepto and PI annually.
Yep mine get Nobivac and they will have DHPPI & Lepto every three yrs with just Lepto & PI on the inbetween yrs.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Jeeso, i'm glad I got that sorted out!

Sorry for taking over your thread, Lottie! Perhaps I should have started a separate one. Oh well, at least it's all to do with vaccines! Hope you have come to a decision about the puupy anyway.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 10:56 AM

Does this sound about right?
This is exactly the same as my boys record. It seems they have the full lot as pups, then the full lot again at 1yr then follow the 3 yearly program for the full dose with just Lepto & PI being given yearly.

I'm going to enquire next time i'm there, which will be with my crossbreed in August this year.

2 weeks later:

Not sure here I'm sure she will end up being on the same regime as your westie just depends where they are starting her off from - if her previous vaccs were known etc?
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >