Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2018, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I also need a double total knee replacement, complicated by me having an auto immune disease that causes my blood to clot randomly. It's taken forever to find someone I trust enough to proceed and should now be having the first one done at Guys in about 8 weeks. Just waiting for the letter with the date and mildly terrified as I've already had 3 strokes thanx to the autoimmune condition and the last thing I want is one during surgery. So had to find someone with expertise in bleeding and clotting as well as knees. No easy task.
Crumbs!! You poor thing, I am not surprised you are worried but Guys is a great hospital and forewarned is forearmed. You will be in very safe hands
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2018, 10:24 PM
I spend most of the day watching what is going on in the garden. Today an enormous crow came down which is rather extraordinary as they are exceptionally timid and I was standing inside the kitchen just feet away from him. He speared one of the fat balls with his beak and took off with it!! 2 jackdaws come down regularly, and hosts of starlings and sparrows. Robins and blackbirds are regular visitors and a blue tit has joined in the party. All caused by just leaving nature alone - however small the area, it is so important to just leave a little bit of wild and you will reap the benefits as you well know from your experiences Brenda.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-05-2018, 06:44 AM
It's odd isn't it the birds in my garden act as though me and the dogs are not there, I've lost count of the number of times I've been dive bombed by birds going about their business. They regularly come down and drink out of the dogs water bowls as well as the pond while we're all milling about out there. I was cutting some of the shrubs back the other day and had several birds bobbing about through the undergrowth in very close proximity. Last year the news kept reporting the shortage of numbers of sparrows in London, well I live in London and there is no shortage here. My front drive is paved out of necessity but I had very deep beds constructed on either side and filled them with shrubs and the amount of sparrows in those bushes is unbelievable especially when the berries are out. I don't put food out for the birds but judging by the amount we seem to attract the garden is certainly providing for them.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2018, 08:41 AM
Perfect!! If everyone provided the correct environment all our gardens would be full of birds like ours!! It really is important. Even in fully paved or decked gardens you can still plant ivy and honeysuckle up against fences in large pots or barrels if no soil exposed. I am in fearful trouble with the birds this morning because I sterilised their bird table and bath last night but forgot to put out more worms, seeds and fat for them so they are sulking. Ive done it now but still silence!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

25-05-2018, 09:09 AM
I think a lot of people pave their gardens because they don't like gardening which is why they don't leave any beds to plant or they have breathing issues like Chris so try to minimize their issues. I hate the trend for fully paved or concreted gardens, yes we need somewhere to park but leave a bit of space for the odd plant or two. I know I've always had a garden of sorts but this is the first time I've started from scratch with a garden and employed builders to construct the drive, patio and raised beds etc.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2018, 01:02 AM
Raised beds are great for us older ladies! Helps tremendously with maintenance!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

26-05-2018, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Raised beds are great for us older ladies! Helps tremendously with maintenance!
Very good for training pups to stay off the plants too. Mine were just built to add some division to the garden. I guess I must have known I'd end up decrepit at some point
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-05-2018, 09:04 PM
I think a lot of people pave their gardens because they don't like gardening which is why they don't leave any beds to plant or they have breathing issues like Chris so try to minimize their issues. I hate the trend for fully paved or concreted gardens, yes we need somewhere to park but leave a bit of space for the odd plant or two. I know I've always had a garden of sorts but this is the first time I've started from scratch with a garden and employed builders to construct the drive, patio and raised beds etc.
Well, I didn't pave ours. It is laid with brick front and back. I made a few raised beds mostly for the existing Ivy and other struggling plants. Our dog rarely poos there. He waits for the early morning stroll. And I do pick up.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2018, 09:30 PM
Very good for training pups to stay off the plants too. Mine were just built to add some division to the garden. I guess I must have known I'd end up decrepit at some point
True, true!!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2018, 11:15 PM
It would ruin my hubby's week if he didn't have grass to cut . Twice a week without fail. I think he likes it because it gets him away from a nagging wife
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >