View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jpfist1325
New Member!
Male 

31-01-2017, 02:09 PM

Responses needed. What problems do you face as your dog grows bigger?

Hello, as part of my year-long high school project, I am working to find and create solutions to problems that owners may face as dogs grow bigger and older. I would love to hear of your experiences as it will help me narrow down a main problem.

Do you experience any problems or inconveniences as your dog grows bigger? What dog breed is it? Maybe grow out of its dog bed? Maybe they eat too much or too often? Anything?

All of your responses will help a ton! Thanks!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Dogs generally go through many beds in a lifetime, one would hope owners would be prepared for the amount of food their dog will need as a fully grown adult. I don't consider my dogs a nuisance or inconvenience ever.
Maybe you shouldn't post in every section when one will suffice.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Owners are (or should be) well aware that items need to be replaced as dogs grow to maturity so that shouldn't be an issue for any owner, nor would it be classed as a problem as most owners just love to accommodate a growing dog's needs.

Similarly, it's just common sense that as a dog grows larger, his appetite will too

One problem that may occur is in the 'winter' of life when owning a bigger dog is that of being able to get them to the vets when they can no longer jump into the car and are too heavy to lift. Easily, if expensively, overcome by booking home visits.

The one major problem all dog owners face at some time or another is that of losing a much loved family member. Coping with that loss is terrible
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-01-2017, 06:43 PM
As the owner of a large dog I would echo Chris's comments. Plus do research into problems you may be faced with in the future health wise and mobility wise.
Factor in vet bills they are not cheap for large dogs and possibly insurance if you do not like many of us have shed loads of money just sitting in the bank account.
As Trouble points out many of us go through many beds in a dogs life time in the case of my last large dog and my now large dog they much prefer the sofa to any expensive bed you buy them.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2017, 06:22 PM
A responsible owner will research the dog and size etc before buying or adopting their dog.

I am surprised at the use of inconvenience and problem. Dogs are family and a responsibility. Not an inconvenience or problem.

Unless of course you need to live in rented accommodation, in which case it can be very difficult to find a suitable home that will accept dogs.

Some homeless people are only homeless because they cannot find somewhere that will take them and the dog.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-02-2017, 09:42 PM
Bigger dog
jpfist1325
New Member!
Male 

15-02-2017, 03:02 PM
Hello, as part of my year-long high school project, I am working to find and create solutions to problems that owners may face as dogs grow bigger and older. I would love to hear of your experiences as it will help me narrow down a main problem.

Do you experience any problems or inconveniences as your dog grows bigger? What dog breed is it? Maybe grow out of its dog bed? Maybe they eat too much or too often? Anything?

Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-02-2017, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by jpfist1325 View Post

We've have had our Collie for almost two years and we got him at about a year old. He has grown some. Taller and filled out. More muscular.

Inconveniences? Not a lot. If he pulls when he is on a lead, which isn't often, it's more difficult to control him.

Other than that, the experience has been positives.
I'm sorry. I'm not much help to you.