Our sister sites
Our sister sites
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2016, 06:35 AM

Struggling with barking in crate if can't see no one

Hi all, sorry for the long post,

For the last four days I've had to sleep on the sofa which is very uncomfortable to sleep on so don't feel rested at all. I've never crate trained before as I've always been home with my dogs and never had a tearaway child lol until now so with our new puppy Ive decided to crate.

Over the last 4 days I have managed to get her barking, howling, crying down to around 2 mins if any at all but this is only when we are around. I managed to sneek off to bed last night, my partner got up for work, let her out so she done her business and put her back in. Ive now been sat on the end of my bed listening to her going nuts with the whining and barking since 6am. I know she is fine because there is nothing she can hurt herself on.

I'm at the end of my tether, she is only a baby at 9 weeks but there are times where she is going to need to be left. She doesn't show the classic signs of separation anxiety in the sense of destroying things/throwing herself at crate/trying to escape etc it's just the barking and howling.

Sorry for the long winded post, does anyone have any tips?. My poor household is like something out of the living dead lol x
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2016, 07:20 AM
This might help.

Crate Training
When you first bring home a pup you have to decide where he will sleep. Assuming that you are going to use a crate or indoor kennel then the first thing to remember is that the pup will grow, so buy as big as you think you will need for the first few months. Then, make sure that the bedding is comfy and that you don’t mind if the pup chews it.
Make sure that it is easily washable and dries quickly or have a spare lot of bedding. Don’t use something that you will be cross about if the pup soils it. It is a myth that pups do not soil their bedding. If left too long or they are very young and you are a heavy sleeper, then accidents do happen.
Give the pup something to chew on when first introducing the pup to the crate. The best time to put the pup in the crate is after it has emptied and eaten and been for some exercise or played. This way the pup will be sleepy. Make sure that it is in a draught free area. Cover the crate with a blanket to make it cosier and to make it darkish. This helps to stop him seeing anyone moving about. Movement going back and forth will stop him from sleeping no matter how tired he is. Pups are very nosey and wake easily when first put in there to sleep. Leave the TV or radio on for background noise. Don’t expect him to stay in there for longer than an hour at first. He will need to go for a pee or empty both ways if just eaten. Over night the pup will settle if left. Do not go down straight away unless you think he will wake the neighbours. Warn the neighbours that you have a new addition and that he may make a bit of noise the first night. If you can have the crate in your bedroom, better still, as this will comfort him for the first few nights.
If you have two pups they will not settle straight away and you may find that they will play and sleep but they will wake up more often and also pee more. This makes night time training harder. So, best to buy two crates.

Especially for . 

Put in his crate/bed before you go to bed, at least 15 to 20 minutes. Don’t suddenly turn everything off so that it goes quiet. Before you turn the TV off put the
Radio on with a chatty programme or record yourselves talking and play that when you go to bed. If you do use a recorder to play to him be careful that is doesn’t stop with a loud click as this could wake him up. Cover the crate so that it is dark. This will create a more settling place to be.

Not too much exercise before he goes to bed as that will make him more excitable. A bit of basic training is best to make the brain more tired, this way he will settle quicker.
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2016, 08:04 AM
I agree with the above post! This is a common problem for all puppy parents and all you need to do is crate training to change this kind of behaviour! Your dogs need attention it's the same problem like mine before, but now it's okay because the help of proper training.
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2016, 08:30 AM
She's already sleeping all night in it, enough so that you can manage to sneek away, however it's the mornings, 6am my hubby goes to work, he let's her out, she does her business then he puts her back in and from then because no one is there it is non stop howling and barking. I don't want to go down to her to enforce that if she does this she will get a reaction because people will appear but it's waking the whole house up
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-08-2016, 08:33 AM
I always put the crate where they will be sleeping long term, I sleep on the sofa with one hand dangling down so they know I'm still there. If the whine or bark I'll tell them to shush and put my fingers through the bars. I gradually over time make it back to bed by gradually increasing the distance between me and the crate. My sofa is extremely comfortable to sleep on though which helps. It's taken anything from one day to 3 weeks to get back to bed as they vary hugely. I have to say though one of mine although she accepted being crated always hated it and would avoid it if at all possible. She wanted to be with me but would accept another dog as a substitute if I wasn't available. Just so I didn't go thinking I was special.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

03-08-2016, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by taz_in_2001 View Post
She's already sleeping all night in it, enough so that you can manage to sneek away, however it's the mornings, 6am my hubby goes to work, he let's her out, she does her business then he puts her back in and from then because no one is there it is non stop howling and barking. I don't want to go down to her to enforce that if she does this she will get a reaction because people will appear but it's waking the whole house up
You could just sofa surf in the morning but not give in and let her out. I'd have to because I hate listening to a distressed pup. So yes I'd be determined they stay in the crate but I'd give in a bit and let them see me.
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2016, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
You could just sofa surf in the morning but not give in and let her out. I'd have to because I hate listening to a distressed pup. So yes I'd be determined they stay in the crate but I'd give in a bit and let them see me.
I was going to do that this morning but then got a bit shall I shan't I due to her howling and barking lol. Kept saying to myself give her a little bit more time to settle, hopefully she will stay quiet enough for me to come in and not let her think she barks she gets me but it didn't stop 😂. She's a very whiny puppy in general if she doesn't get her own way so I should have known really lol
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

03-08-2016, 09:45 AM
Funnily enough I think the bigger they are the more they whine. Syd my male Dobermann could whine for England as a pup, he was fab as an adult though.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2016, 11:03 AM
Yup so would I. She perhaps needs to know that the OP is in the house - she could just pop downstairs, reassure the pup and then dive back upstairs to bed. I personally will not leave a dog, especially a pup, in obvious distress for any longer than a few minutes - 15 at the most.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2016, 11:05 AM
Funnily enough I think the bigger they are the more they whine. Syd my male Dobermann could whine for England as a pup, he was fab as an adult though.
Gosh wish Ben was! He will full on howl, whine, shriek and moan for hours if Mike leaves the house for some reason, even though I am there, silly boy. At these times, I do just ignore him because he is being ridiculous. I usually tell him to shut up and maybe lob a cushion at him for good measure!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >