View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dash101
New Member!
Male 

13-04-2014, 12:31 PM

Is it ok to seperate two dogs that have grown up together?

Hi, this is my first post here but I have a dilemma. I have a pit bull border collie mix and my parents have one as well. They are from the same litter. I currently live at my parents house and will be moving soon. When I leave I am wanting to take my dog with me to my new home. Will I run into any issues separating them? If so what will I run into? Is there a best way to do this? Any help/advise would help!
Thank you!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Hi
Welcome to Dogsey
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2014, 01:11 PM
I know nothing about this but it seems animals who've grown up together do miss each other when one goes. Of course it's often the case that one dies before the other.

However, I'd be more worried about introducing two new dogs to each other than about separating them.

If the dog has been very much 'your' dog and not your mum or dad's dog, shouldn't be too difficult. If the dog sees your parents as its owners could be different.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2014, 01:22 PM
I agree with Tang on this it if the dogs are very much friends they will both miss each other a lot and I would add being a single dog is very different to being part of a pair. When we have lost dogs through death the survivors always grieve very much, so much so we end up having to get the one left behind a companion.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Hi and welcome

You haven't mentioned how old the dogs are? I have littermate brothers (3yrs) and they are pretty much inseparable, but they will go happily out for a walk with out each other, play with other dogs and have both spent a few nights apart although they do go crazy when re-united.

If you are intending removing one of the dogs I suggest you start to acclimatise them gradually spending time alone without the other one. Will they still be able to see each other frequently or are you moving right out of the area?

Our neighbour had two littermate brothers (golden retrievers) and they had never spent any time apart. They totally relied on each other for company and never wanted to play with other dogs. Sadly one had to be put to sleep nearly 18 months ago (aged 13 1/2yrs) but the remaining dog was fine and loved having extra cuddles and treats etc. They said it probably would have been a different matter if the remaining dog was going to spend hours by itself each day alone but fortunately that didn't have to happen as they are retired. The remaining dog still waddles around quite happily in the garden now aged 15.

It's a difficult one isn't it. Would they be better off remaining together?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Excellent post by Jenny (who knows a bit about the subject matter).

Especially the 'gradual getting used to' stuff. I do that with my dog for ANY change looming on the horizon. Whether it be moving to a new place - I purposely took a long time to move so i could keep bringing the dog with me to the new place and spend the occasional night there with her. Even though at times it was a bit of a pain having the dog round me and watching out for her getting away from me as I moved stuff in and out. Made the 'big day' far less daunting and she didn't seem at all perturbed.

Also did it when I decided to take a job OUTSIDE the home after being home with my last dog for her first 5 years. She'd never been left for more than an hour or two. So I started gradually increasing the time she was left well before I started a job. Sometimes having difficulty finding something to do for that long lol! Again well worth it as there was no 'big change' for her. She'd gotten into the routine by the time I started the job.