View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Awww bless her she looks a sweetheart, she also looks cross with a portugese water dog.

The only real problem we will have is Benjie, he was extremely dog aggressive, I've worked with him and now he will only lunge if they look at him but still makes noises like he wants them. The RSPCA wrongly informed my OH's parents that he was good with other dogs and people...WRONG! So I will have to work with him more before we bring another dog in, especially an old one, it may mean we just have to rehome females as he is loads better with girlies than males.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2010, 09:41 PM
After previously having young rescue dogs, this time we decided to choose an oldie (we are not getting any younger ourselves!).

It is hugely rewarding in many ways, especially when you see them curled up cosy and warm with a full tummy - knowing that it may have been a very long time before anyone noticed or wanted the old rather dejected and tatty chap at the back of his kennel.

However, it does have to be said that an older dog comes with it's own problems and behaviour wise these may be hard to iron out. Medical issues are another thing to consider, as well as the knowledge that you will perhaps only have a few years together.

Having said that..........I have no regrets whatsoever, and our little chap may be a pain in the backside in some ways, but he is also the sweetest most loving dog we could ever have wished for.
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Well my OH is going in the Marines if he passes his checks, so I guess he'll have to toughen up. I'm thinking about the dogs that dont have a home, he'll always have one. It's not that I'm not sensitive, I just deal with death easier than he does
Sorry off-topic but my OH is in the marines been in for 3 years He was based at 45 commando in Scotland but he's now near London training to be a medic!

Oh he will toughen up! Harry was such a softie before he went in (he still is but only to me ) and he couldn't even run a mile without being sick... but as the final test you have to run 30 miles over dartmoor and he managed it

You do end up very proud of them being in the marines and fighting for the country although when they go away its hard I'm lucky if i see Harry every weekend, i won't see him until the last weekend of this month which is rubbish but that's why he got me Milo for company

I wish your OH good luck and hope he does well and passes everything!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Ok well just to throw a spanner in the works here, I have an oldie. Dylan, 14 year old Border Collie. He puts my 18 month old Jack Russell to shame in the stamina stakes!! He's always ready to go for a walk and when I was ill last week and didn't walk them for a couple of days, it wasn't Lily or my 5 year old foster Collie who were climbing the walls, it was Dylan!!

Seriously though, I think it is wonderful that you will be doing that. When the time comes that I can have another dog, I want to rescue an older Staffie. It's hard enough for the young Staffs to find a home let alone the oldies. Age doesn't necessarily mean it's pipe and slippers time, just ask Dylan!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Jadey - He's got an appointment next tuesday and I know he'll do me proud. I'll be in a big house with a big garden in the middle of nowhere and that's one of the reasons he got me Louie (that and he lost my engagement ring on Mablethorpe beach ) I have Benjie also since he is a bit of a guard dog and he is Adie's dog.

I have an oldie. Dylan, 14 year old Border Collie. He puts my 18 month old Jack Russell to shame in the stamina stakes
My neighbour's 9 year old (who I walk) is exactly the same, she's a Border collie cross jack russell - she's outrun my OH's 6 year old and Louie (springer/labrador) is just keeping up but he's 5 months so I'm not expecting him to slow down, but Sadie gives him a run for his money. Also I know a place that does have some staffies/staffie x's I'll pm you

I just think an oldie would be a great snuggler and even if it's a few years I have them for, it's a few years they wont have to spend in a kennel. I was thinking about fostering but I know I'd never give them back
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 09:08 AM
I think it's a lovely think to do for the oldies ~ good for you. I want to do the same when I retire ~ dreaming of a small country cottage with a small plot of land, an open fire & several old dogs & cats curled up by my side.

If & when you decide to go for it, it may be worth contacting the Dogs Trust as they do a sort of foster scheme where they pay the vets bills for any existing health problems, e.g. diabetes, liver/kidney problems etc. I'm sure they'd love to hear from someone like you.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Just for when the time comes, this charity note all of the older dogs in rescue needing care whether its many tears, dogs trust, second chance as well as there own. Means you can see all of the older dogs needing homes in your area whoever is keeping them.

http://www.oldies.org.uk/
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Oh bless you!! That's a wonderful idea!! How lovely of you. I would love to do the same thing!!
Go for it....you're a very sweet person!! xxx
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Well it'll be at least a year til I can make a move on these plans so I will let you all know when the time comes how things are
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 10:57 AM
I think this will.may be my next port of call Old Staffords no one else wants, or lost their home due to circumstances.

My heart always goes out to them and yet by the same token I scan see me with a young adult male (dog) - bolshy, confident, lively ones who when people realise what they have they give up.
12-18 month old untrained Staff appear to take up the majority of rescue spaces, as they aare misunderstood.

Just hope I woud be seen as a good home for one.

Good luck to you.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >