Our sister sites
Our sister sites
woweeee
New Member!
Male 

11-04-2010, 02:51 AM

House Training Difficulties - Need Advice about using an inside dog loo

Hi guys

firstly, im new to the forum id like to say hello!
i hope i can learn alot here.

I have 2 adult pugs. both are adopted at the age of
4 years of age. (we have had them, one for a year and the other for approx 6 months)

our personal Preference is to have our dogs House trained, rather than house breaking.

we have one of those Pet Loo's/Toilets in the corner of the laundry floor at the rear of the house. (which is where they are supposed to do thier potty)

However, our BIGGEST challenge is.. They DO use the Pet Loo daily (the both of them) but we ALWAYS (and i mean ALWAYS/Daily) find a suprise wee in the centre of the laundry floor. (usually happens during the night sometime)

Its generally hard to determin which is responsible, But punishment doesnt seem to work.

we have tried many things e.g
* Praises + Treats - When we witness them using the proper toilet. (so they know its the right thing to do & we also try and show them that it is a good place by telling them to go to the potty and giving them a treat when they are there)

* light punishment - Voice Raising & pointing out the problem & after.... telling them to go to the toilet and sit near it.

* Dog Repellent+Anti Urine Sprays - We spray it in the areas we find the suprise and spray it to remove the scent & Repellent to STOP them from doing it again.

* Dog Attraction training drops - Scented drops at the toilet to try and lure them to the spot. (as i said, they use it daily but they seem choose moments when they DONT want to)

unfortunately Nothing seems to work, day in - day out. they always end up doing it in the centre of the tiled floor or somewhere else in the room.

Note: i am well aware that the dog needs to be shown its problem whilst being caught in the act otherwise they may not remember. it is hard to catch them out all the time.. they seem to know that we DONT like thier mistakes...and SOMEHOW they seem to know when we are less likely to monitor and do it behind our backs.

And i do know that they are animals & can never be human or think like, a human. but im hoping that this simple problem can be fixed

can anyone offer some advice in this? perhaps someone has experienced before and has found a soloution with success?

thanks guys
good to be part of the forum
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-04-2010, 07:05 AM
Hi Jim and welcome to Dogsey
I have 2 adult pugs. both are adopted at the age of
4 years of age. (we have had them, one for a year and the other for approx 6 months)
For house training purposes adult dogs should be treated as puppies.

our personal Preference is to have our dogs House trained, rather than house breaking.

we have one of those Pet Loo's/Toilets in the corner of the laundry floor at the rear of the house. (which is where they are supposed to do thier potty)
I have never heard of a pet loo, is it like a litter tray you have for cats.

However, our BIGGEST challenge is.. They DO use the Pet Loo daily (the both of them) but we ALWAYS (and i mean ALWAYS/Daily) find a suprise wee in the centre of the laundry floor. (usually happens during the night sometime)
I don't like the idea of dogs being taught to soil in the house, is there some reason you can't take them outside, are they going to spend their whole lives soiling in the house?
Its generally hard to determin which is responsible, But punishment doesnt seem to work.

we have tried many things e.g
* Praises + Treats - When we witness them using the proper toilet. (so they know its the right thing to do & we also try and show them that it is a good place by telling them to go to the potty and giving them a treat when they are there)

* light punishment - Voice Raising & pointing out the problem & after.... telling them to go to the toilet and sit near it.

* Dog Repellent+Anti Urine Sprays - We spray it in the areas we find the suprise and spray it to remove the scent & Repellent to STOP them from doing it again.

* Dog Attraction training drops - Scented drops at the toilet to try and lure them to the spot. (as i said, they use it daily but they seem choose moments when they DONT want to)

unfortunately Nothing seems to work, day in - day out. they always end up doing it in the centre of the tiled floor or somewhere else in the room.

Note: i am well aware that the dog needs to be shown its problem whilst being caught in the act otherwise they may not remember. it is hard to catch them out all the time.. they seem to know that we DONT like thier mistakes...and SOMEHOW they seem to know when we are less likely to monitor and do it behind our backs.

And i do know that they are animals & can never be human or think like, a human. but im hoping that this simple problem can be fixed

can anyone offer some advice in this? perhaps someone has experienced before and has found a soloution with success?

thanks guys
good to be part of the forum
Are they male dogs or bitches, remember dogs soil not only to relieve themselves but to scent mark.

I wouldn't be surprise if the dogs soil all over the place they must be thoroughly confused , one minuet they are praised for relieving themselves the next they are punished.

Is there some reason you can't take them outside?
woweeee
New Member!
Male 

12-04-2010, 07:50 AM
hey there
thanks for the reply

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Q6ZXOqZT-j...00/pet+loo.jpg

above link is what is called a "Pet Loo", better than those litter things.
basically got synthetic fake anti bacterial grass... beneath it is channels that eventually drain into a tray and pour it out. (this thing aint cheap too $350 NZ)

They are both female. yes i prefer them to toilet inside. because 1.) we live in an apartment.
2.)ive had friends whom had older dogs basically had kidney failures etc.(even just older dogs not being able to hold it) Which were so used to doing it outside and did not want to think about doing it inside... but obviously they eventually couldnt hold it at all, causing all sorts of mess inside the house.
so i think personally, this would benifit me in the long run anyways.

Its the fact that they were so good for a while but they keep playing up randomly.

can anyone suggest anything, besides taking them outside?

i generally dont catch them in the act. And im not sure taking them to a dog trainer would really help?
woweeee
New Member!
Male 

15-04-2010, 09:54 AM
i guess nobody???
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2010, 10:03 AM
My dad had a dog for years from a pup in an appartment. He took her out to do her business. I don`t know anyone whose dog cr*ps etc. in the house. Isn`t it a bit unhygenic?
Meg
Supervisor

15-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by woweeee View Post
i guess nobody???
Hi Jim it doesn't seem like it, people on here mostly take their dogs outside to relive themselves.

Are you saying your dogs never go outside?

Going out for a walks is important for a dog not just from the point of giving it the opportunity to relieve itself but because it provides valuable mental stimulation and a relief from boredom.

As I said in my earlier post, I think your dogs are probably thoroughly confused, first they are praised then punished for soiling in what is to them virtually the same place.

I am not surprised the loo doesn't work very well, dogs will naturally soil away from the area in which they eat and sleep if at all possible , they will also scent mark their territory and confining a dog to a small area and expecting it to soil in the same small part of that area is asking a lot. I would get rid of the loo and take your dogs outside.
Meg
Supervisor

15-04-2010, 11:55 PM
2.)ive had friends whom had older dogs basically had kidney failures etc.(even just older dogs not being able to hold it) Which were so used to doing it outside and did not want to think about doing it inside... but obviously they eventually couldnt hold it at all, causing all sorts of mess inside the house.
so i think personally, this would benifit me in the long run anyways.

Jim are you saying one of the reasons you have a dog loo is in case your dogs get kidney failure later in life I don't think this is a good reason not to to take a dog outside to relieve itself.
GSDUK
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Am I reading this right?

You do not want your dogs to relieve themselves and you do not actually appear to want them to be outside at all?

You want them to be...erm "housedogs"?
woweeee
New Member!
Male 

17-04-2010, 08:26 AM
geeezzzz seems like im getting ATTACKED here.........

honestly, as i said.
i do take them for walks, they do come outside whenever possible.

no im not aiming for kidney failure for BOTH dogs... but one...its just a precaution just incase... and MAINLY
but i want them to have the freedom to do thier doings whenever they freely want to. (whether it be inside or outside)

we work long hours, we only get them to go ooutside after buisness hours.

and by the way, our 2 pugs like to go to the toilet in the middle of the night. both No#1 and No#2.
as mentioned, it doesnt matter where they do it... inside or out... we cant follow or read thier minds. they arent trained to bark when needing to go.

anyhow look, all i asked was some advice...not to be attacked
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by woweeee View Post
geeezzzz seems like im getting ATTACKED here.........

honestly, as i said.
i do take them for walks, they do come outside whenever possible.

no im not aiming for kidney failure for BOTH dogs... but one...its just a precaution just incase... and MAINLY
but i want them to have the freedom to do thier doings whenever they freely want to. (whether it be inside or outside)

we work long hours, we only get them to go ooutside after buisness hours.

and by the way, our 2 pugs like to go to the toilet in the middle of the night. both No#1 and No#2.
as mentioned, it doesnt matter where they do it... inside or out... we cant follow or read thier minds. they arent trained to bark when needing to go.

anyhow look, all i asked was some advice...not to be attacked
It`s always wise to put all the info in, or we`ll assume the worst!
If your pugs are needing to go in the night, you need to adjust their food and feeding times, or give them a good evening run. Only puppies need to go out at night IMO.
How about day-care when you`re out? Or a dog walker?
As you`ve probably gathered, no-one here uses indoor dog loos.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >