Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
When uninvited visitors (people trying to sell me their religion! ) come to the door I ALWAYS take him with me and make a big deal out of hanging onto his collar as though he is going to break free any second. They don't usually spend too long trying to persuade me to sign up .
Lol yes Lucky, I've had the joy of being able to do that many a time, but with one in each hand, works every time doesn't it!!!!!!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Lol yes Lucky, I've had the joy of being able to do that many a time, but with one in each hand, works every time doesn't it!!!!!!
What a wonderful picture I have of this in my head now.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I agree with everyone else, boringly enough. If it is a real fear of dogs, you could maybe help her get over it with gradual introductions etc. If it`s breed prejudice, tell her to take a hike.
I agree with C&D, someone with a phobia needs help, but if it's just a breed thing then she's essentially questioning your judgement and that's not on.

Pepper was an excitable, nippy puppy so I used to put her out of the way when we had small people visiting, she's still a bit bouncy so I keep her in the kitchen until she settles. Gozo is a much better behaved puppy so I usually have to shoo the children away from him!

I'll be interested to hear how it turns out, keep us posted.

J
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2008, 05:53 PM
If people are coming to visit me who are nervous of dogs I close the doors to their crates if the dogs are sleeping in there, or slip a lead on them.

My sister was very nervous of dogs as a child so I have some idea of how scared and nervous of dogs some people can be, rational or not it's still a fear.

She's been brave enough to own up to her fears and although perhaps not the best way to handle it she does want to be friendly with you, but those fears are there and I think she is trying to broach the issue with you.

Perhaps suggesting meeting elsewhere to begin with and maybe moving on to her coming to yours with the dog on the lead in the future. Let her know he'll be onlead and you won't let him near her at all. Remind her that he is a softy, but that you understand the fear and at the same time.

In time it might help to ease her fears and she may even eventually pet him. It could be an opertunity to reduce her daughters fears as well and save her from a life of fear of dogs. I'd look on it as a chance to educate, slowly and gently.

xx
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2008, 06:49 PM
I would be perfectly happy to intorduce my dogs to someone slowley if they wanted to - but this woman appears to have invited herself round to someone elses house, and then tried to dictate what they should do with their dog in their own home!!!!

I'm all for helping and educating people but don't like bossy people!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 05:32 PM
well i finally got a reply from her and all it said was that she had a friend up at the weekend who was confirming that "those type of dogs are big softies" and sayign she would be in touch soon - so I guess that confirms the answer that it was to do with Bruno as a breed rather than just as a dog !!

My hunch was right...will see if she ever agrees to meet us in my house!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-09-2008, 06:00 PM
I would say those type of dog, we are talking about MY dog!
Honestly it may help her to meet him, and could be the start of a good friendship, but not the best way to start it.
If she isn't prepared to take bruno for what he is, then i wouldn't have her round.
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
well i finally got a reply from her and all it said was that she had a friend up at the weekend who was confirming that "those type of dogs are big softies" and sayign she would be in touch soon - so I guess that confirms the answer that it was to do with Bruno as a breed rather than just as a dog !!

My hunch was right...will see if she ever agrees to meet us in my house!
HA ! ! !

Just caught up with this thread but had same idea as you, being the owner of the same breed

My friend who has just had a baby said she wouldn't be visiting me, and my dogs are not welcome at her house?!?! At first I thought, fair enough, new baby and all, till I found out she visits my friend with a collie x, wonder what her problem with me it then, hmmmm???

You stick to your guns Dani, love me, love my dog ! ! ! x x
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4