Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
can totally see your point, i think that she has decided that he is a threat as he is a staffie but dont think she is going to admit that .... and then i thought I was being paranoid.

will wait and see what she says, if she is not willing to meet him at all, even if i then put him in the bedroom - then i am not willing to invite her in my home to be honest...
And if it is because he is a staffie and not just because she is scared of dogs, then I have no sympathy with her.

BTW, just so you don't get too paranoid about the staffie thing, one of my neighbours was telling me that lots of her daughters friends (daughter goes to school in Edinburgh) are not allowed to come and stay at hers because their parents don't like that she has a dog. And hers is a golden retriever.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
And if it is because he is a staffie and not just because she is scared of dogs, then I have no sympathy with her.

BTW, just so you don't get too paranoid about the staffie thing, one of my neighbours was telling me that lots of her daughters friends (daughter goes to school in Edinburgh) are not allowed to come and stay at hers because their parents don't like that she has a dog. And hers is a golden retriever.
what happened to dogs being part of the family huh??

I think i just find it ridiculous that people can be scared of such fab animals - i amnt the most sympathetic and I am super suspicious that its because he is a staffie paranoia huh !!!!

anyhoo will wait and see what she responds with !! One of the other girls that was there today said " oh my god you have one of those dogs - you dont look like the type that have them " - she then profusely apologised for saying it and thought she offended me, I just laughed and told her that i had left my shellsuit and sovereign rings at home !!!

honestly i can beleive what people think sometimes
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2008, 10:05 PM
I have to admit Dani that I wouldn't muzzle Bruno, why should you make him feel he's done something wrong, especially in his own home.

I know I don't have as many here now but when I had my houseful of dogs, people that visited where made aware that this is their home and visitors need to respect that.

As Fiona said with the spider thing, that is a whole different reason and I could see why she would ask the question, but then I wouldn't visit someone that had spiders or snakes personally.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2008, 10:08 PM
I have been in this situation Dani,with a couple over the road,she is scared of dogs so is her daughter.

Anyway to cut a long story short she was very wary of even coming in to our house,I crated the dogs and got her to meet both of them through there crates,there was no way either dog could get to her and make her feel nervous and threatened.
We have since progressed slowly by taking things a step at a time i.e let her stand by the patio doors while they were in the garden,to start off with contact we put them on leads in the lounge etc....and now she is perfectly happy to share the same room as both of them,she gives them cuddles and feeds treats to them.She will also play ball with them.

Take things slowly as some people do have a fear of dogs and Good Luck!
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2008, 10:20 PM
is she frightened of al breeds? or just what she sees in the papers?

maybe say your go over to hers instead?

have you got a baby gate? maybe put him in the kitchen and put the baby gate up so they can see eachother but he cant jump up at her? (not sure of the layout to your house!)

or say meet him in the garden?

not sure, think id be a bit put out the fact she invited her self over then told you to lock your dog up..........

think that in itself is a bit rude!!!

she will prob end up making her daughter frightened for no reason.

my sister was scared of my pup....?? why?! but she also made her little boy scared to, telling him he will come and 'get him' and 'bite his bum' if he doesnt eat his dinner.

so that helped alot..........!!! now he is quite frightened as a dog barked at him, wouldnt come near my dog after that.

if she has a raelly bad fear of alll dogs maybe have him on a lead at your feet??? show her that he is a great dog and nothing to fear?

then let him loose to jump all over her and give her some kisses lol... no not really.... well maybe sneekly let his lead drop i did this and he licked him sisters feet, never seen any one jump up so quick! she manged to stroke him after! LoL

good luck
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2008, 10:50 PM
as he's not aggressive or a threat - hes obviously a softie having your own child around him proves this!! then shes the one whos the problem!!!!

our sam was a nouty little get.... we knew what she was liek and with kids we always put her in another room - id never muzzle her but out of the way is acceptable.....

tbh id say - if you want to come into my home, then you have to accept he is part of the family - let him meet you then he will settle and leave you alone.... (thats what with do with millie as she barks constantly if shes not been introduced)

if not tell her i will meet you at another place or tell her to jog on
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I think its difficult for any of us to imagine what it must be like to know nothing about dogs and therefore to fear them. As an example, for those who are really scared of spiders, if you went to a house who had a pet one running round the lounge, would you still go if they refused to put it out the way, even though the person had assured you that it woudn't hurt you?

i still stand by my other post BUT ialso agree with this

personally im terrified of spiders - if someone had one running around their lounge and refused to put it away - i would leave - because im so scared.....

but - if i knew it was running around before i went - then its not my business to tell them other wise...... same with the dogs - if you know you havea dog and are scared - dont visit - ditto other post too...
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-09-2008, 07:43 AM
What I did when people came round and was scared of dogs, I would put them on their lead and have them lie at the side of me while they were in for a while then I would let him off. This way the guests would get used to them and seeing if they were nasty and to be scared of. When they were let off they would sniff a hand and thats it. Also got the guest to give them a treat and make the dogs sit for it.

I used this as up until the age of 19 I was petrified of dogs to the extent I would not go to friends who had them, or even family. I would cross the street if I saw a dog on the same side, even if leaded. Family who had dogs who I had to go see would keep them calm by holding the collar or lead when I went in until I saw they were ok.

I think though if she is one whos just decided all staff = devil dogs most things you suggest will fall on death ears
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2008, 07:54 AM
I've had people ask me to shut Missy outside or lock her away - and my answer is always no.
I do offer if they are scared to put her on her house lead so they can see she can't get to them - but I will not muzzle her for someone else's fear. And I only offer house lead for short visits. If they want a longer visit, I will let Missy off but will tell her to leave - and then she won't touch them, won't even sniff them. It is made abundantly clear she is trained enough to do that.
If they can't cope with that - we meet outside.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Mmmm - obviously i have not met the woman, but, other people tell me i am a good judge of character, very often form just hearing about conversations etc.

I find it odd that someone who has only just met you is laying down the rules of what you would have to do with your dog if she was to come to your house!!! It's your house, your dog, your family.

Surely the polite thing for her to have done would be to just say "I'd love to meet up, but i'm scared of dogs, so could we meet in a coffee shop, ball pit etc"

I definately wouldn't muzzled Bruno, or shut him away.

If she wants to come to your house i think she should accept that he is part of your family and trust you that he is a well rounded dog. If she can't do that then just meet else where, rather than let her pressurize you into doing something you think is wrong.

If you live near each other the chances of meeting while on a walk might be quite high and then she could see how well behaved he is,......even if she does't cross the road to talk to you!!

DOn't think you are being sensitive at all. I have had a few bad reactions to Tonks and it is upsetting when people pressume things about our dogs and us!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >