Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ew65
New Member!
Female 

05-11-2012, 09:55 AM

Is excessive drinking and loss of appetite a side effect of Cimalgex

Hi we have a 12 year old mongrel Labrador/whippet/staff cross. He has severe arthritis and recently his medication has been changed to cimalgex. Since being on the tablets he has lost his appetite for dog food and has started drinking excessively for him which is one bowl of water when before he only drank about one lap a day. He also suffers from pancreatitis so has to be in low fat food which can be very boring. He dies however like biscuits and dog treats.

Could this appetite loss be to do with the drugs?

Thanks eW65
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Hello Elaine welcome.
Medication of any kind can have all sorts of side effects and these can vary from dog to dog.

I would contact your vet ASAP and tell him about the change of behaviour particularly as your dog already has other health issues.
Dr Salter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Yes a vet should be consulted as it sounds like this does not suit your dog. Lethargy is a side effect of this medication, also should not be used with other medication without consulting a Vet.
Ew65
New Member!
Female 

06-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks we will do

Ew65
bullandterrier
New Member!
Female 

18-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Hi!

Anorexi can be a side effect when using Cimalgex. Also the kidney can be effected so maybe tahts why your dog drinks more water. Go to the vet and take a bloodtest checking the kidney. Maybe you have to change the medicine to another kind?
smurfette11
New Member!
Female 

13-10-2013, 11:05 AM
My dog has been on cimalgex for approx 2 months coming up. Wednesday just she has started to drink excessively and weeing for Britain. She hasn't diabetes or infection and kidneys and Liver are fine. She is 8yr. Having another urine test Monday. Reading this I am thinking of keeping her off this to see if this could be the problem ??
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by smurfette11 View Post
My dog has been on cimalgex for approx 2 months coming up. Wednesday just she has started to drink excessively and weeing for Britain. She hasn't diabetes or infection and kidneys and Liver are fine. She is 8yr. Having another urine test Monday. Reading this I am thinking of keeping her off this to see if this could be the problem ??
Dont just suddenly stop medication without advice from the vet. It may cause a massive shock to the system and shock can be so serious it can cause death. Ring and ask your vet for advice.

We lived with our darling Fleet drinking excess water and weeing for over 4 years because the medication he was on gave him a good quality of life instead of having him PTS.

Thalice's Mum
smurfette11
New Member!
Female 

15-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Cimalgex is an anti-inflammatory and can be taken and stopped at any time...after stopping them since sunday she is significantly better. (the vet was advised i would be doing this) Taking these was the only change in her routine and all tests were coming back with no other problems. I would put her problem down to these tablets.