Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jaxback
New Member!
Female 

07-01-2007, 12:48 PM

SBT flaky skin and rough patches !!!!!

I have a 17wk SBT bitch called Skye - she has flaky dandruff type scurff and rough patches on her head and spine - she is fed on Burgess Supa Dog Puppy. Can anyone recommend anything ? What is the best fish to feed dogs ?
skyde
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2007, 04:21 PM
This could be a number of things not related to food so I would firstly get your vet to carry out skin scrapings. it could be something as inocuous as cayeatiella (spelling not correct) which looks like walking dandruff, easily cleared up with a spray of frontline, it could also be wet excema especially if the bare patches are scabby, cleared up with hibiscrub twice daily. If the scales are on the trunk and the hair growth is poor it may be sebaceous adonitis, which the hair follicle releases the hair and the sebaceous gland dies. I would check this out with your vet first before food change but you could add a teaspoon of oil such as sunflower or vegetable to his feeds.

Hope this helps
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi,Welcome to Dogsey,
I would say Pilchards, mackeral and Tuna,
I feed my Two Pilchards in veg or olive oil (i drain the oil off slightly first) a couple of times a week with their complete food and Tuna once a a week.They love it and their coats keep shiny and smooth.
You may well find a gradual change of diet could help or eliminate what doesn't.I don't know anything about Burgess super dog puppy i'm afraid but diet can play a huge overall effect on your dogs health.
I'm sure someone will come along and give you some further advice.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by jaxback View Post
I have a 17wk SBT bitch called Skye - she has flaky dandruff type scurff and rough patches on her head and spine - she is fed on Burgess Supa Dog Puppy. Can anyone recommend anything ? What is the best fish to feed dogs ?
Hi Jaxback is Skye a rescue too ? I would take her to the vet for a scrape to determine the cause of the problem and to rule out various skin problems or you could be treating for the wrong thing.

I don't know about Burgess food either , as for fish any fresh fish (not smoked though)is good and any tinned that is not in brine because of the high salt content ,it should be oil