View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 11:01 AM
eeee! sorry guys! forgot I'd posted this! Pup now has a new forever home and no longer needs fostering! YAY!

I wasn't going to get into the vaccine debate as I think there are quite a few threads on it already but basically, T will be vaccinated every three years because she goes to shows and the like so I just like to watch out - Eddy won't be vaccinated again now, he's been vaccinated every year for 11 years and I don't see the need for him to have any more (unless by some miracle he lives to about 20!)

Also - I went to work for a vet recently - one of the top vets in the city, very highly recommended and absolutely professional and friendly staff - I wish I could afford to take mine there! She was advising a certain type of wormer to everyone and when I asked her if it was better than what I was using she said that it wasn't, what I was using was perfectly fine (possibly even better) but they are a business and for the practice, that wormer is the cheapest and they have to recommend what they sell.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
eeee! sorry guys! forgot I'd posted this! Pup now has a new forever home and no longer needs fostering! YAY!
It was only yesterday
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
This is exactly the same as my boys record. It seems they have the full lot as pups, then the full lot again at 1yr then follow the 3 yearly program for the full dose with just Lepto & PI being given yearly.

Not sure here I'm sure she will end up being on the same regime as your westie just depends where they are starting her off from - if her previous vaccs were known etc?

She's about 7 now. As it happens, she's had no vaccines at all up until a year ago, when we first got her. She was found as a stray (long story - but it turned out she had been dumped).
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 11:19 AM

I wasn't going to get into the vaccine debate as I think there are quite a few threads on it already but basically, T will be vaccinated every three years because she goes to shows and the like so I just like to watch out - Eddy won't be vaccinated again now, he's been vaccinated every year for 11 years and I don't see the need for him to have any more (unless by some miracle he lives to about 20!)

Also - I went to work for a vet recently - one of the top vets in the city, very highly recommended and absolutely professional and friendly staff - I wish I could afford to take mine there! She was advising a certain type of wormer to everyone and when I asked her if it was better than what I was using she said that it wasn't, what I was using was perfectly fine (possibly even better) but they are a business and for the practice, that wormer is the cheapest and they have to recommend what they sell.
Glad the puppy now has a long term home.

When I first got my dogs, I just used the wormer I was given by the vets, until last year when I asked what other kinds they had, if any. She told me the different kinds they had, and I asked was one better than the other, she said no as they all protected against the same thing.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Hmm... sure that's not the case now - I think all are suitable for regular preventative measures but some are more effective for an animal already suffering from worms.

At least, that's the case in cats

Oh... lol - didn't realise it was only yesterday hehe...
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Hmm... sure that's not the case now - I think all are suitable for regular preventative measures but some are more effective for an animal already suffering from worms.

At least, that's the case in cats

Oh... lol - didn't realise it was only yesterday hehe...
That was the vet nurse that told me that! Perhaps there is one kind better than another for animals who already have worms, as you say, but protectiviness wise, i think they are all pretty much the same....unless anybody has any information that goes against this?!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 11:44 AM
I don't have any evidence - no need to as I'm perfectly happy with the stuff I use

I meant to say 'I'm not sure that's the case now' not 'sure that's not the case now' lol sorry.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Interesting views on frequency of vaccinations. the situation here in Ireland is a little different as Parvo is a real problem so that at least needs to be done every year, in the opinion of vets and owners I have spoken with. The other issue is kennel cough, my vet showed me the directions in the box for this, the brand used is only effective for 6-9 months so Deccy is off today to have that one, his last being December. At that time, he actually caught Kennel Cough even though he'd had the vaccine 11 months previously.
Regarding wormers (and flea treatments) these are all available over the counter in the popular brands from any pharmacy in the High Street.... much cheaper too!
What is the view on vaccinations if you go into boarding kennels in the UK these days?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 12:37 PM
I think the vaccination for kennel cough only protects against certain forms of it......is that correct?

I can't help you with the boarding kennel query, i'm afraid, someone else probably can though. I don't use boarding kennels.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Most boarding kennels require full vaccinations (or at least against Kennel Cough) yes - as far as I'm aware kennel cough vaccine only covers some forms.

Also - I wanted to do Pets As Therapy with Eddy - he'd make a fantastic therapy dog but they require vaccinations all up to date (which I assume is yearly) and I refuse to vaccinate Eddy again just so we can pay a tenner to go visiting people! (When I don't have that much time anyway).
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >