Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maryk
New Member!
Female 

24-07-2007, 12:41 PM

mary, love my dogs

hi everyone i am desperate, my wishbone i had for 9 years is not well, suddenly he lost his appetite , developed edema under his neck,face,legs, he is so swollen ,brought him to the vet they gave him prednisone, didnt help they took bloodwork , did endoscopy looking into the throat and stomach ,no results they gave him antirobe, then tried cephalexin, medicam, nothing is working, he moans all night he seems to have sore mucsels, its been about three weeks it is breaking my heart to see him like this, if anyone has ever heard of a case causing edema please let me know i am desperate.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 12:53 PM
I am so sorry your dog is so unwell I cannot help I'm afraid having had no experience, but I am sure other members will come along soon and help you out.

Keep popping back and checking the thread - welcome to the forum, just sorry it is such sad circumstances for you. xx
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 01:07 PM
I`m assuming this is not a case of pulminary edema but in tissues other than the heart ?

I did a google search and stumbled on this which is related to nutrition, mainly protein. Its a very old paper but there does`nt seem to have been one [ that I could find yet anyway ], to refute or update it. Its quite basic but might be worth printing out for your vets to consider ?

NUTRITIONAL EDEMA IN THE DOG : II. HYPOALBUMINEMIA AND THE AUGMENTATION OF TISSUE FLUID
http://www.jem.org/cgi/content/abstract/61/5/717

I have no idea if that ones relevant to your doglet so please forgive me if the vet discounts it as having any connection
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2007, 02:27 AM
My elderly sheltie had Protein Leaking Nephritis, a form of kidney failure that isn't the type normally seen in bloodwork, it caused his face, neck, and prepuce to swell from time to time.

Have you run bloodwork?

As patch said the next thought would be a heart problem. Has he had a cardiac work up?