Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 12:03 PM

Tension between 2 dogs, help please!!

Just lately my dogs seem to be growling at each alot and there seems to be alot of tension between them. Normally over bones, chews etc. Rex who is a terrier has always been grumpy with duke (gsd) for example rex will sit on the middle of the big bed and won't let duke get on . if rex has a chew duke only has to walk in the room and rex will be snarling. Now it seems duke is copying and he seems to be doing the same back but i don't understand why he would start copying now, or maybe hes just had enough?
Anyway i just wondered how is best to deal with it, do i leave them to it? send 1 out if they growl? i just don't want to make the situation worse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Oh I don't know the correct way to deal with this Kirsty, but I for one, would certainly be stepping in and letting Rex know this is not acceptable behaviour. I can't advise coz I've never had a problem like this, but then I've always had 2 sheps together who as you know are always willing to share everything with their stable mates.

I honestly don't think you should ignore it, coz it will escalate and although Duke is starting to warn Rex, he won't do that forever will he? Hope somebody can help, sorry I'm not much of one.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 12:08 PM
You could just separate them when they have chews? I dont leave my dogs alone when there is food around. Dogs really don`t share nicely ime.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh I don't know the correct way to deal with this Kirsty, but I for one, would certainly be stepping in and letting Rex know this is not acceptable behaviour. I can't advise coz I've never had a problem like this, but then I've always had 2 sheps together who as you know are always willing to share everything with their stable mates.

I honestly don't think you should ignore it, coz it will escalate and although Duke is starting to warn Rex, he won't do that forever will he? Hope somebody can help, sorry I'm not much of one.
Totaly agree, I know some people leave them to it but I dont like that
I had the same kinda problem with my two
I decided it was my house, my rules

Rules were no bullying, if someone has a bone or a toy its theirs
snarling at each other, hard eye contact are not alowed
Infact any time I felt any tension I just seperated them

I would pick up all bones and toys for now and only give them out when you are supervising
distract/seperate if you feel the slightest tension
walk together and do fun things (not crazy tugging or rough fighting yet tho) together
and personaly I would have them seperated all the time you cant supervise

- My two love each other totaly now (although they are opposite sex)
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Oh I don't know the correct way to deal with this Kirsty, but I for one, would certainly be stepping in and letting Rex know this is not acceptable behaviour.
I would be very careful how you do this. The last thing OP wants to do is tell Rex off for growling a warning and Rex learning to not bother with the warning next time, going straight for a nip/fight instead.
Personally I would, for an immediate fix, give the dogs their own space and use a babygate/door to keep them seperate if needs be. If it has escalated to both dogs then I would maybe consider a behaviourist for some advice - try the APBC website for a local behaviourist.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 12:19 PM
feed the dogs seperately, that includes bones/treats/chews

if growling over beds, then provide more beds/sleeping areas
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I would be very careful how you do this. The last thing OP wants to do is tell Rex off for growling a warning and Rex learning to not bother with the warning next time, going straight for a nip/fight instead. Personally I would, for an immediate fix, give the dogs their own space and use a babygate/door to keep them seperate if needs be. If it has escalated to both dogs then I would maybe consider a behaviourist for some advice - try the APBC website for a local behaviourist.
Errrrm, I think you'll find I said "I" would there, I didn't tell Kirsty to do this! I also said I don't have a clue!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Errrrm, I think you'll find I said "I" would there, I didn't tell Kirsty to do this! I also said I don't have a clue!
And I said I wouldn't do this When you're posting your methods in reply to someone asking for advice then I don't think it's too far a stretch to imagine they may consider trying your methods so I was just saying that your method is something I would be careful about
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 12:27 PM
The way you put it as in quote "I would be very careful how YOU do this" almost as if you're expecting her to take my advice, whereas I have merely told her how I would react to this situation, but I also said I do not know the correct way of doing it, so only a fool would take my advice if they were told it wasn't correct!

Anyway, the dogs have been together for a while (I did bother to check that bit out!), so it should be nipped in the bud. How can you spend the rest of your life keeping two dogs separate when all you need to do is act now, before things escalate, but then that's just my opinion, it's not an order nor is it good advice!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 12:33 PM
General "you", sorry if that wasn't clear.
I agree that it should be addressed but I think a behaviourist who can see the dogs "in action" may be better than the advice given over a forum for this case, my suggestion of seperation was to prevent any immediate problems worsening
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »