Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2007, 12:31 PM

Blackie has the runs

Hello,

I have a small problem, well I haven't, Blackie has, he has got the runs! He has had them since he was brought back on Thursday night. He is also starving, that is so unusal for him, he usually picks about his food. I give him egg and rice for a couple of nights but he still has the runs. I am going to get him some fish today so that I can give him a change. I am also thinking of getting him some live yoghurt and see if that does the trick.

I don't want to take him to the vet, firstly, it would be awkward for me at the moment, also he may just say starve him which I have done.

so have any of you any idea's or have you heard of any bugs going around?

Ian
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Where did he come back from Thursday night?
Not being nosey but why is it awkward to take your dog to the vets? If he's had the runs since Thursday, his appetite is different and there is no improvement then I would take him to the vets to get this checked out, if the normal things are not working.
Is Blackie up to date with his worming as worms can cause this.
How regular is the diarrhoea. Is Blackie straining? What colour is it? Is he acting normally to you or a bit lifeless. If he has had diarrhoea for this long then he can become dehydrated. Giving water may not be enough. Lectade would be more useful.
Diarrhoea can be the result of many things. If Blackie isn't improving by now I would air on the side of caution and get the vet to check him out in case it is anything more serious.
I wouldn't want to suggest what the cause of this would be as I'm not a vet I can't see the dog. It would be unfair of me to suggest anything as you seem to have done the normal things.
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2007, 12:42 PM
I agree with megan57collies your into the 4th day with runs think the vets is the way forward he may be able to give you something to bind him up
is he drinking plenty? dont want a dehydrated dog aswell.

if you cant get to the vets maybe call them for advice they may suggest something else my grandma used to swear by arrowroot for dogs but dont quote me on that one not sure of the relaibilty of it or safeness in dogs!
ramoth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-02-2007, 12:44 PM
If he has had the runs since Thursday and is still runny today I would defo take him to the vet , the fact that he still has a good appetite may not mean everything is ok. That and his bum must be sore by now bless him
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Hi Hogget.
I read in your profile and previous posts that you have been unwell lately. Hope you are recovering well.
Could a friend help you out and take Blackie to the vets for you?
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Where did he come back from Thursday night?
Not being nosey but why is it awkward to take your dog to the vets? If he's had the runs since Thursday, his appetite is different and there is no improvement then I would take him to the vets to get this checked, if the normal things are not working.
Hi,
He has been with a foster home for the last four month or so, they got a new staffy pup at christmas, I'm wondering if he could have picked anything up from it? although you would have thought there would have been problems before now. I had go into hospital. I just came out last Wednesday after having my other leg amputated in November gone, been in rehab until now, and at the moment I am not walking well enough to take him anywhere, if you know what I mean.

I will try the live yoghurt, but if that dosen't work I will try and get a way to see my vet tomorrow.

He is lively enough, drinking his normal amount too, he is now just passing wind when he goes and tries to poo.

Thanks.

Ian
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Hi Ian. If you're going to get fish, I would mash up some potatoes too, as I find that really binds them up. Not too much coz they get bloated if you give them too much. Don't give him a big meal either, split the food up into four meals for a day, so that he gets little and often. The live yoghurt is also a brilliant idea. Hopefully he's just picked something up and he needs to get it out of his digestive system. Anti-biotics would speed the process up, but hopefully he'll get rid of it on his own anyway. See how he goes, and you may end up having to go to the vet. Like the others have said, it's usually 48 hours with a bug, 4 days is quite a long time.

If you can clean his backside area up, dry it, and slap some vaselene on his bottom, he'll feel a lot better. It gets very sore when they've got the runs - I'm well used to it with one of mine. All the best with Blackie, hope he improves.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Poor old Blackie sounds like he has picked something up. Bet he's glad to be back with his Dad though. Maybe the people who were fostering him could take him to the vets for you or another friend maybe would oblige. Hope he's feeling better soon xx
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Hi Ian.
Yes I have read your previous posts. Glad to hear Blackie is back with you. I'm sure you missed him terribly.
A couple of thoughts. Blackie could be very excited at the sight of seeing you again which can cause the runs. I would also check to see what the foster people fed him on and whether he had the runs previous to Thursday. I would just give the vets a call, explain the situation to get some feedback from them. If he's lively in himself this rules out a lot of things. Stick to basic food each day rather than swopping to different things each day.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

26-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Hi Ian So sorry to hear Blackie has the runs another thing you can try for the runs and for wind is pumpkin, I personally have not used if but know lots of people who swear by it. I use the Natural Bio-yoghurt. Hope he is better soon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >