Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2008, 07:27 PM

What whistle?

I've decided to have another bash at whistle training and I've lost my (noisy) whistle so I was wondering if the ultrasonic ones are better? Do they catch the dog's attention more? Are there any advantages to any particular type?

Anyone have any tips for whistle training?

Thanks,

J
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2008, 07:30 PM
do you whistle feed your dog?
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2008, 07:34 PM
wouldnt it get stuck in its throat?

sorry couldnt resist!
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
do you whistle feed your dog?
If there is food in the offing she'll be about 2 inches from my feet so we never did that. When I did it before I started in the house but I think I moved on to the park too quickly so I think I need to go back to square one. I always make her wait for a "take it" before she's allowed to eat, should I use the whistle as the release command?

Originally Posted by thandi View Post

sorry couldnt resist!
Ha ha, that made me laugh... (I must admit I did a double take when I first read Ramble's message).

J
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2008, 10:13 PM
HI - it doesn`t matter how close the dog is to you; you just need to whistle/ treat (the same as when introducing a clicker) often enough so the dog associates the noise with the food. In fact the dog should start to drool when he hears the whistle - this makes it imperative to him that he gets to you to `finish the sequence`.
Then when you use the whistle outside at first it needs to be when the dog is coming to you anyway. Never (as the saying goes) whistle up a gundogs` backside - e.g. when it`s not going to respond. That way, your dog will always come to the whistle - because that`s what he does.
I use the Acme gundog whistles.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
I always make her wait for a "take it" before she's allowed to eat, should I use the whistle as the release command?

J
No - the reward must immediately follow the noise to begin with. Whistle just as she begins her dinner if you like. It`s not a command at that point - it`s a signal.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post

sorry couldnt resist!
:smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt016 :smt016 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043 :smt043
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
If there is food in the offing she'll be about 2 inches from my feet so we never did that. When I did it before I started in the house but I think I moved on to the park too quickly so I think I need to go back to square one. I always make her wait for a "take it" before she's allowed to eat, should I use the whistle as the release command?

Ha ha, that made me laugh... (I must admit I did a double take when I first read Ramble's message).

J
Yes, whistle feed her decide what whistle is to signal her return and get 2 of them. One for by her food and one for out and about. They have to be the same whistle...same tone etc. The Gundog ones are good and have specific numbers.
When you feed her, let her sit and wait,then whistle her, say nothing...
If she is fed twice a day look at how many reinforcements of the command you are giving. :smt002

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
HI - it doesn`t matter how close the dog is to you; you just need to whistle/ treat (the same as when introducing a clicker) often enough so the dog associates the noise with the food. In fact the dog should start to drool when he hears the whistle - this makes it imperative to him that he gets to you to `finish the sequence`.
Then when you use the whistle outside at first it needs to be when the dog is coming to you anyway. Never (as the saying goes) whistle up a gundogs` backside - e.g. when it`s not going to respond. That way, your dog will always come to the whistle - because that`s what he does.
I use the Acme gundog whistles.
Excelent advice too. I would be tempted to use the whistle only in the house, when your dog is coming to you from another room and reward the instant they get to you. Keep doing this for 5/7 days. Alongside the food...so you only have to put the whistle to your ilps or pick it up and bingo your dog is there. Carry treats in your pocket and your spare whistle around your neck.

Once the recall in the house is 100% (as Claire said, if the dog isn't coming don't whistle), take it into the garden with you and practice. Once it is perfect and your dog will come to you when you blow your whistle IN the house and it comes in from the garden when it was interested in soemthing else...only then move into a QUIET park and then only on a longline....

Make sure your treats when you move into an area of high distraction,are spot on...something your dog has NEVER had ogten before and will love, the smellier the better. Liver or I've heard pilchards can be good!!!

Never make the mistake of forgetting your whistle and just shouting your dog instead...it won't work, if your dog is coming to the whistle forget your vioce command, it just won't happen, just because your dog comes to a whistle.
Good luck, remeber it will take time and if your dog doesn't respond when you move it on a step, don't get frustrated, just go back to where your dog was achieveing.
Good luck, keep us posted!!!

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
No - the reward must immediately follow the noise to begin with. Whistle just as she begins her dinner if you like. It`s not a command at that point - it`s a signal.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks Ramble and everyone for the good advice, I think the mistake I made last time was trying to move on too quickly. Excellent tip to get 2 whistles then I can keep one indoors and one in my walking bag so I always have it. Think we might take a wander down to PAH and see if they have any whistles...

J
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Never thought to use a whistle, maybe I'll try this with Dingo, he responds so well to noises it just might work.

I'll be following this thread with a great deal of interest.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 10:55 AM
no probs, the main thing to remeber is do it slowly and only initially whistle to feed your dog to build up the association. DON'T try and recall with the whistle, even in the house, til your dog is really excited and knows that the whistle means something really good (a really tasty treat not given at other points) or a meal is on its way. This could take anything up to 2 weeks....don't rush it, keep your eye on the long term result.
PLease keep us posted.

Hmmmm PAH trip, cost me a fortune at the weekend, with 2 dogs and a 7 year old child in tow!!!!!! (Also took ages to get round as everyone wanted to say hello!!!!!)