View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-08-2007, 04:46 PM
It dont need to be a tempory shed-yours looks better structually than some shop bought ones.Why not when finances allow-clad it in featheredge timber or tongue & groove shiplap for even better weather protection.Its dead easy to do-just start at the bottom and work your way up nailing every 12".

Be careful with marine ply though cause its not made to stand out outside or be submerged indefinetly and it will eventually delaminate.Featheredge planks (like what fences are made from) from a timber yard or saw mill are really cheap and would easily extend your sheds lifespan to atleast 20 years with care.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
It dont need to be a tempory shed-yours looks better structually than some shop bought ones.Why not when finances allow-clad it in featheredge timber or tongue & groove shiplap for even better weather protection.Its dead easy to do-just start at the bottom and work your way up nailing every 12".

Be careful with marine ply though cause its not made to stand out outside or be submerged indefinetly and it will eventually delaminate.Featheredge planks (like what fences are made from) from a timber yard or saw mill are really cheap and would easily extend your sheds lifespan to atleast 20 years with care.

Thanks for that Steve , thats a really good idea as its just in the spot I want it and the featheredge will make it look so much nicer. I shall keep an eye out for some as the sooner I do it the longer the shed will last, if I see a bargain I shall get it. Much appreciated
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-08-2007, 05:01 PM
At 44 and being a woman i would give you 10/10. Now you can call me what you like. It wasnt meant to be a sexist remark. What size nails did you use, or is it screwed. I hope you used exterior ply otherwise your going to be in trouble. When it comes to storage you cant have enough. It might be half empty today but it could be full by tomorrow. Is it a lean to, or is it just the angle you took the photo from.LOL. If i ever need a new shed, i know who to call. What was that blokes number again ..............LOL
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by john100 View Post
At 44 and being a woman i would give you 10/10. Now you can call me what you like. It wasnt meant to be a sexist remark. What size nails did you use, or is it screwed. I hope you used exterior ply otherwise your going to be in trouble. When it comes to storage you cant have enough. It might be half empty today but it could be full by tomorrow. Is it a lean to, or is it just the angle you took the photo from.LOL. If i ever need a new shed, i know who to call. What was that blokes number again ..............LOL
Thanks John

I have screwed it together as my wrists aren't strong enough with the hammer, and I like to be able to take it back down again when I'm finished with it or decide to start again The bloke told me it was exterior ply and that I only had to do it over with fence treatment to make it waterproof, don't tell me I've been duped again. I think, however, when I get paid I'm going to get some of that featheredge as Steve suggested, I know I'll be happier with it if it looks nicer.

It isn't leaning, its probably the angle I took it from, or maybe I was leaning (should take more water with it )
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 05:11 PM
It looks fab Sheree and as Steve says, get some featheredge to make it look nicer and I bet you'll be much happier with it! Good on ya!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 05:15 PM
It looks fab Sheree! Steve's ideas are great aswell, my dad used shiplap to do his and it makes it look nicer aswell as extending the lifespan, and I think the feather edge is a great idea as it is cheaper, will look great and extend it's lifespan aswell. You can come and make me one out of pallets and ply when I get my new place! :smt002
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 05:16 PM
I say it looks like a brilliant job well done. It's not a day wasted at all, it will probably last longer than some of the cr*p they sell in some garden centres.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-08-2007, 05:18 PM
I agree with everyone else it looks fine to me and if it does the job even better.
Steves idea is a good one.
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Well i think its great and it should last forever with it being ex ply. Just make sure you put plenty of stuff on the edges.

Well done you
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2007, 05:20 PM
That's more of a challenge than I would have accomplished, so well done Sheree. Just remember, wherever you can see daylight, the water will get in, and I think I can see trees through the back top half of it??? If you can't afford featheredged which is quite expensive, beg steal or borrow some, or failing that get yourself off to B & Q they do a massive tarpaulin at only £3.95 and you can cover it up with one of those in the rain. Another idea, what about turning it into a lean-to from somewhere around the side of the house? That way you can fix it securely to the house so it won't blow away in the wind, and you gain a whole side of wood by using the side of the house if you see what I mean?? You would only have to build two sides and a door for it?? Alternatively, come down here coz I've got loads of wood dotted around the place which the builders have left! Either way, you're a braver woman than me tackling something like that! You need a man around the house, it's so much easier!!!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >