Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-11-2005, 04:34 PM

Warning !!! Viruses.

thought I would post this,just had e-mail from Hubbie there are viruses going round in the form of,e-mails.from people you don't know ,wise not to open them and from people you may recognise don't click on attachments as they are disguising themselves.Unless of course you are expecting something but might be worth checking with them first
He received one from the FBI this morning saying he had been looking at illegal websites,and should click on the attachment to complete a form.
minky
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Thanks Zanta
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2005, 05:42 PM
at he momment it`s near christmas and they are really going to town sending viruses you have to be very carefull at the momment and don`t fill out anything unless you`re sure what it is and dont open an attachment unless you know who it has come from thanks Zanta
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
at he momment it`s near christmas and they are really going to town sending viruses you have to be very carefull at the momment and don`t fill out anything unless you`re sure what it is and dont open an attachment unless you know who it has come from thanks Zanta

Fred - I don't understand viruses and how they happen. If I get an email from someone and I don't know who it is from do I just delete it then before I click on it Will Norton antivirus not pick up the virus and warn me not to open the email?
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2005, 05:54 PM
i posted this page a short time ago have a look there foxy that explains what it is and how it works it is to much for me to write that would take me days to write

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/virus.htm

Hope that helps you worth reading
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
i posted this page a short time ago have a look there foxy that explains what it is and how it works it is to much for me to write that would take me days to write

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/virus.htm

Hope that helps you worth reading

Thanks Fred!
Kerrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2005, 07:36 PM
ive had about 50 of these today very anoying
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2005, 07:42 PM
I never open an attachment from a source i cannot trust.Couple of years ago,i continually kept getting infected emails (Norton picked them up every time) from people i had not heard of and found out it was due to a friend not renewing her yearly subscription with Symantec.Her PC was riddled with viruses and just kept sending them out to everyone in her address book.

Few years ago,my old laptop got that W32 Blasterworm virus because i was naive (and stupid!) and ended up wiping the whole system because it was totally screwed up.

Im much more cautious and wiser now...
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
I
Few years ago,my old laptop got that W32 Blasterworm virus because i was naive (and stupid!) and ended up wiping the whole system because it was totally screwed up.

Im much more cautious and wiser now...
that`s a nice one very popular Steve it deletes files nice and slow one after the other nasty
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Christmas is a good time for virus writers - it's school/college/university holidays and there are lots of new computers given as presents to people who probably are new to them - ideal replication facility for viruses.

Beware of e-mails purporting to have e-cards attached from folk with just christian names - eg you have received an e-card from John, click on the attachment to view card.

Also, beware of e-mails asking you to pick up e-cards from peculiar sites especially if the e-card is an exe file.

As mentioned before, don't open mail from people you don't know, especially ones with attachments. Don't complete forms in e-mails (especially ones purporting to be from Banks, eBay, PayPal, etc).

If you are not expecting a friend to send you an executable file - ones which have the extension exe, com, bat,pif don't open the attachment. E-mail them first and ask them what they sent (if they sent it).