Our sister sites
Our sister sites
claireheather
New Member!
Female 

03-01-2010, 07:29 PM

New Basset Hound pup

hello,

I am about to pick up our new basset hound puppy at the weekend, he'll be 8 wks old.
The breeder is very helpful and has given me loads of telephone advise and told me she uses a crate, which I plan to continue.
I have never had a basset before and was wondering of any basset owners have any advise on settling the pup on it's first few nights with us?

thanks

claire
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Hi Claire, Welcome to the forum, and looking forward to seeing pics of your pup
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Hi & welcome to Dogsey

I had a friend who had two bassetts - gorgeous dogs and far more playful/agile than I would have thought before meeting them.

As for settling in, I don't know specifically for bassetts, but in general for a pup, make sure they have a place where they feel warm and safe (his crate will be ideal for this).

Even if you are not planning on allowing your pup to sleep in your bedroom long term, I would give serious thought to either sleeping downstairs with him or having the crate in your bedroom to start with. Your pup will be feeling alone and scared after leaving his mother and litter mates and he will settle quicker if you spend the first few nights with him.

Also, if you get up in the night at first to let him out for a wee he is likely to pick up house training quicker.

Good luck with your new addition - I hope you post some picks - I've never met a basset pup
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Nothing helpful to add, but a bassett hound? How yummy!!! Hope you're braced for the mayhem that any pup looses on a household!