View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Should Data Info Leaflet be given out with Vaccines
Yes 12 100.00%
No 0 0%
Not Interested 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

22-07-2005, 08:41 AM

Vaccine Patient Info

All vaccines, human & animal come with patient data leaflet but vets or Drs never give them out which I think is wrong. Anyway now in the US a law firm is undertaking a potential class action lawsuit They should be given out & hope this action will be successful & will make them be given out routinely
http://www.childresslaw.net/CM/Custom/Custom52.asp
http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/p...73/1013/NEWS03

On the human front, a few yrs ago my mum was chatting & mentioned she`d had her flu jab, What?? said me, she has an A/I disease & has been on steroids long term. Oh yes, she said, nurse just comes around & says arm out, no medical history taken or anything. I was furious & told her at least to ask her consultant before she has it again, after the nurse said in her opinion it made no differnce & she needed it A year later & mum just dropped in the conversation, oh didn`t have my flu jab, why I asked? She had asked her consultant & after reading her notes he said no, give it a miss! Now why hadn`t he told her without the need for her to ask? Why didn`t the nurse know??
Vaccines shouldn`t be given to ill/unhealthy beings.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-07-2005, 11:33 AM
It should be common practice for all medications, whether prescribed by a medical practitioner or a veterinarian, to be accompanied by a manufacturer's information sheet. However, I believe many people tend to place too much trust in their health professionals and not enough faith in their own ability to read and understand directions, side-effects, & contra-indications, which are usually addressed in the data sheets. Nevertheless, the information should be provided whether it is heeded or not. (If nothing else I would have thought that provision of information would be standard practice to mitigate any claims of malpractice or responsibility for damages?)
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2005, 11:57 AM
My vets always give an information sheet as does my doctor, but if this not normal practice it should be and I have voted yes.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

22-07-2005, 11:59 AM
*It should be common practice for all medications, whether prescribed by a medical practitioner or a veterinarian, to be accompanied by a manufacturer's information sheet*

Yes it should be S/B. I believe it is in UK when a whole packet of whatever is given out but if it`s say only a wks supply etc then it isn`t. At the moment here its the same. Also a lot of times it appears vet buys in bulk & give no sheets of info with prescribed drug & I don`t know anyone who`s ever been given one with a vaccine.

*(If nothing else I would have thought that provision of information would be standard practice to mitigate any claims of malpractice or responsibility for damages?)*
Again thats what you`d think but in practice its not happening.

Whats the situation in Oz?
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

22-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Is that with everything Thordell, what about wormers that are given/sold loose & vaccines?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Yes as far as I can see, I buy wormers in bulk but there is always a loose leaflet in the paper bag with the tablets and the box also has a printed label stating the does and tell you to contact the vet or the manufactures if you have and concerns.

With vaccines it is explained which your dog may need and which are not required at the time.

Edit: dose not does
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

22-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Thast great T, give your vet 10++++
But I think thats not the norm tho, do you? or maybe it is???
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Don't know Christine, have always ask for information and both my present and past vets have given it, do know that everyone at my present vets get an information leaflet as well as a printed label, thought the label was the law as even if I say that’s ok had them before they will not hand them over till they have printed the label and read it to me asking if I understand. Would say that is good practice and hope it is the norm but doubt that it is.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

22-07-2005, 01:41 PM
*Would say that is good practice and hope it is the norm but doubt that it is.*

Thanks for that T But think you may be right....still can always hope eh
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Think in most cases vets will only give what is asked of them, in most cases all the client wants is their animal in good health. They do not ask enough questions, they do not say I don't understand please explain and they forget they are the ones paying the wages.

So ask and ask again, ask them to explain why they have made the diagnosis they have and what the medication is for and are there any side effects.

Don't go over board though, most medication will have some side effect the art is to weigh up if the expected advantages of the medication out weighs the side effects and does the condition require any intervention anyway or will it be self limiting.

Sometimes you visit the vet for a diagnosis and do not feel the condition requires treatment. Explain how you feel and let the vet explain why you are wrong, if indeed you are, sometimes vets offer medication because they think you will not feel they have done their job if all they do is check the animal and send you off saying it will get better in a week or two.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >