Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luna&Nova
New Member!
Female 

27-02-2013, 10:26 PM

Tips for puppy training

Just joined the site, am searching for tips on how to stop my 15 week old puppies from toileting in the house during the night? Not sure if we should be shutting them in the crate? They currently have run of the whole kitchen.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Bones68
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2013, 06:16 AM
Hi,

We have a 10 week old puppy and decided to crate train him. He is shut in his crate at night and we let him out at regular intervals. in the 10 days we have had him, he has not had any night time accidents at all. We have been gradually increasing the length of time he is in his crate and he now tends to go 5 hours through the night before we let him out in the garden to toilet, then straight back in his crate.

From what I researched, they will not soil thier sleeping area, so encouraging them to sleep in the crate helps with house training. Always let them out to toilet when you let them out of the crate.

Good luck. x
Luna&Nova
New Member!
Female 

28-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Bones68 View Post
Hi,

We have a 10 week old puppy and decided to crate train him. He is shut in his crate at night and we let him out at regular intervals. in the 10 days we have had him, he has not had any night time accidents at all. We have been gradually increasing the length of time he is in his crate and he now tends to go 5 hours through the night before we let him out in the garden to toilet, then straight back in his crate.

From what I researched, they will not soil thier sleeping area, so encouraging them to sleep in the crate helps with house training. Always let them out to toilet when you let them out of the crate.

Good luck. x

Thanks for the advise. Ours have already soiled in their crate and bed when the door was open, and every time that we go down in the night they have already been on the floor. Will give it a go tho and shut them in the crate tonight, just hope they don't whine the whole time. Do you leave water in the crate or just let him have a drink when you let him out for a wee?

Thanks x
Bones68
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Hi,

We always leave water in the crate, we have bowls that clamp to the sides.

Dougal used to whine to start with but now settles really easily. We also make sure he has quiet time in his crate for an hour mid morning and mid afternoon with a treat filled kong. We can also use this time for nipping out to the shops etc and get him used to being home alone for short periods.

You may find it harder to settle your pups as they have got used to having the run of the kitchen. I started off sleeping on the sofa for the first week so he knew I was there, now I sneak up to bed once he's settled
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Betty is 12 weeks now right from 10 weeks she has slept with us and always asks about 3.40am to get off the bed and have a wee, I don't think little bladders can make it through the night with out needing to go. Certain old bladders get like that too as Mollie makes it to 5am before she has to be let out.
Luna&Nova
New Member!
Female 

28-02-2013, 05:17 PM
I'll have to get one if those water bowls, I think they'll just spill their water if not. We give them kongs when we go out, but not for bed. We were going to have then stay in our bedroom but decided that would be a bad idea whilst they're not properly toilet trained. They're used to be left alone for periods of time, they don't pine for us so that's good. They were really good at holding their bladder and only going outside but seemed to have regressed now

Will just have to keep trying

Thanks for the advise xx