Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2011, 09:23 PM

Any toilet training tips?...

Hi guys

Any advice on toilet training would be appreciated...

Firstly Keira has taken a huge back step in toilet training which I am presuming is just due to her age and teething? She was not weeing in the house at all, she then had a couple of accidents but now she seems to have gone back to weeing on a daily basis, even if the back door is open.

Secondly she won't wee when we're out on a walk, I have started tak her on her walk the second I take her out of the crate in the morning which has worked a few times and I've made a huge fuss of her but nearly every time she hollds on until she is in the back garden, I took her for a walk around 20 minutes earlier, she didn't do anythiing and I knew she hadn't had a wee for a couple of hours, I kept taking her out the front and she didnt do anything, I then went out the back to hang out some washig and she followed and immediatley wee'd? I know she might have not needed it earlier but she is holding on everytime until the back door is open (unless she wee's in the house!) Leaving me in a catch 22 I want her to wee out on a walk but am having to still let her out the back every couple of hours to stop her weeing in the house, do I just rely on the morning walks for her to get the message to her that she doesn't only have to wee in the back garden.

I am not overly concerned as I'm sure she'll be fine with her toileting but just seeing if you have any advice and if anyone thinks I should be concerned about this? Better to ask now than wait and be told later there is something different I should have tried

Thanks x
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Leaving the back door open during the day and assuming Coco would choose to go out was a mistake we made ,We went back to basics with some paper at the back door for emergencies and taking her out after play meals and sleep and we have had no accidents in 7 days now ...
Good luck
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Leaving the back door open during the day and assuming Coco would choose to go out was a mistake we made ,We went back to basics with some paper at the back door for emergencies and taking her out after play meals and sleep and we have had no accidents in 7 days now ...
Good luck
Same here until I asked the good peeps on dogsey..but now Sasi has stopped peeing under the table & peeing at the back door, even if Ive been up the garden with her for who knows how long. She will rarely pee outside...so the newspaper is down AGAIN beside the back door
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Go back to basics is all I can say.. we toilet trained in the summer and we made the same mistakes as Murf did, assuming he would go out.

However we found he would have less accidents in the house if Sadie was around - must be a male thing as he really looks up (well down now) to her and will follow her to the end of the earth if he had too.

Do you take her out with Summer? If not it may be worth a try, if she sees Summer going she might go - but then again I walked a dog (of whom I loved for the following reason) would not wee or poo on a walk but do it in her own garden - I liked it 'cos it was one less mess to clean up I always thought it was because she felt vulnerable on a walk but it's not to say that's what Kiera is..

Another thing - Sadie won't (Louie and Benjie rarely) go to the toilet on lead or if she is near me, 5ft is the min she can be away before she goes... (such a drama) so maybe a longline on her morning walk so she can venture a little further - or if you can offlead if you don't already.. it could be that she doesn't want to do it near you?

I'm just exploring why though - I am in no way an expert but it could be worth a try a longline and Summer on your walk - it wouldn't harm to try..

As for the house - basics is probably the best thing to do..

good luck
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Can you train her to pee on command? That might encourage her to go on walks... Maybe train her to go in one specific area in the garden, once the habit is ingrained, hopefully she'll only want to pee in the toilet zone.
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys for your advice its really appreciated, I have been saying 'have a wee' as she wee's from the day I got her (when she was doing it in the garden ) but I just can't fiugre out why she's taken a back step?

Its really hard as I think she might copy Summer but I don't tend to walk them together as I am trying to train Keira to walk nicely which Summer does not do and Summer has about 2 hours on her walk and Keira only has 20 mins at the moment, I could try doing a couple of the walks together.

I may have fell into the trap of leaving the back door open while its been so lovely

However I have gone back to basics and I took her for her walk earlier, shorter walk as she has training class tonight, then we went to training class, when we got back I stayed on the green outside my house for ages hoping she'd go, I tell her 'have a wee' and I'm pretty sure she knows what I mean but she wouldn't when we came back into the house she pee'd the second I got in, didn't even have chance to get through the safety gate and out the back so she must have been bursting!!

I will continue with your suggestions of going back to basics and hope for the best...... xx
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm having major problems with Poppy too at the moment. She started off weeing in the house then we trained her and she stopped. Now she wees and poos everyday in the house. I've put a gate up to stop her going all over the house and now we have to go back to the start again. It's such a pain isn't it?!!
Jenny was the same when we got her but now she's ok so I'm hoping Poppy will be the same soon.
I think the worst time was when she went upstairs for a poo in Ethan's room and we didn't realise and he stood in it and walked it all around the house!! Yuck!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Lovesgsds View Post
Hi guys

Any advice on toilet training would be appreciated...

Firstly Keira has taken a huge back step in toilet training which I am presuming is just due to her age and teething? She was not weeing in the house at all, she then had a couple of accidents but now she seems to have gone back to weeing on a daily basis, even if the back door is open.

Secondly she won't wee when we're out on a walk, I have started tak her on her walk the second I take her out of the crate in the morning which has worked a few times and I've made a huge fuss of her but nearly every time she hollds on until she is in the back garden, I took her for a walk around 20 minutes earlier, she didn't do anythiing and I knew she hadn't had a wee for a couple of hours, I kept taking her out the front and she didnt do anything, I then went out the back to hang out some washig and she followed and immediatley wee'd? I know she might have not needed it earlier but she is holding on everytime until the back door is open (unless she wee's in the house!) Leaving me in a catch 22 I want her to wee out on a walk but am having to still let her out the back every couple of hours to stop her weeing in the house, do I just rely on the morning walks for her to get the message to her that she doesn't only have to wee in the back garden.

I am not overly concerned as I'm sure she'll be fine with her toileting but just seeing if you have any advice and if anyone thinks I should be concerned about this? Better to ask now than wait and be told later there is something different I should have tried

Thanks x

1 It is perfectly normal for puppies NOT to want to eliminate outside, it is protection mechanism in order not to draw attention to themselves by those who might want to eliminate THEM! ')

2 I PREFER my dogs to eliminate in the garden for several reasons.

a) if I am ever ill I do not have to worry about HAVING to take the dog out (which those whose dogs will NOT eliminate in the garden have to do)

b) I do not have to carry around bags of poop

c) it can encourage dogs to eliminate quickly and on command as play, walks etc are contingent on them emptying themselves; often people who are in a hurry and take their dogs out to eliminate make a rod for their own backs by inadvertently teaching their dogs that when they poop the lead goes back on and they have to go home.

Dogs are not daft, they just delay having one!

Of course it IS important for dogs not to become strata specific, where some dogs will ONLY elminate on (insert relevant substance) but that can be done at home by getting them to move from grass to earth to concrete and then they will feel happy to do same outside.

It is just training and as in ALL training, nothing is ever linear.

HTH
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Hi. I have two 5 month old litter brothers (Tibetan Terriers) who have now been 99% house trained since they were about 16 weeks. It wasn't easy and very time consuming, but I've been lucky enough to have the time to devote to them. Having said that, they did take a step backwards one week and for a couple of days seem to poo and wee everywhere. Everyone 'house-trains' in different ways but what worked for my pups was walking them outside every hour or so and as soon as they started to wee I would say 'be busy' and then I would give them a treat. Now when we go out I say 'be busy' and that usually gets a result from them. If they had an accident inside, I wouldn't tell them off but basically ignored it or a simple "Oh dear" as I cleaned it up. I'm a very strong believer in congratulating good behaviour and ignoring (where possible) bad behaviour. I'm sure I'll be asking fellow dogsey friends for advice on issues that haven arisen yet ... there are bound to be loads of them!!!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Bandit took a step backwards when we had the door open so much with the warm weather. We took him back to basics asking do you want a wee and letting him out on a regular basis. He has much improved although I still can't leave him unsupervised in the front room. As he thinks it is a giant loo but we are getting there.

Does you dog have Off lead on a walk? Michael wont wee if on the lead
ATD x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >