View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Massive thanks to you guys....you can uncross all those fingers! The surgeon thinks she has just strained a muscle.

He x-rayed the leg, and everything looks perfect (except for a fracture in her patella...but apparently that's nothing to worry about ). He said that if it were meniscus damage she wouldn't be showing the improvement she has since Saturday.

We're back to only walking on a lead in the garden, but it's only for a week. In this heat, she's happier to flop about than to run in any case (me too!)

Thanks again for all the vibes
Deb xx (and Saba of course!)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Phew! Great news You are very wise to do the short lead walks for a while until it's 100% again, but imagine what it could have been like if she had done more damage Thankfully, all will be fine when the muscle sprain heals, so all the best with her now.

Dogsey vibes work a treat don't they!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2011, 07:26 PM
What a relief!! I am so glad for both of you
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Phew! Great news You are very wise to do the short lead walks for a while until it's 100% again, but imagine what it could have been like if she had done more damage Thankfully, all will be fine when the muscle sprain heals, so all the best with her now.

Dogsey vibes work a treat don't they!
I know Helena...you can't stop yourself thinking the worst sometimes. She now thinks she's absolutely fine, so is giving me some black looks for not letting her off the lead!

Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
What a relief!! I am so glad for both of you
Thanks so much....sounds like she did a Bitz on me, doesn't it? One more grey hair for me!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2011, 03:31 PM
That's a relief! My friend's dog had a cruciate repair (not a TPLO) and pulled a muscle during his recovery. He's fine now and still does veteran agility. I have another friend whose dog did have a TPLO and she also still does agility so fingers crossed that Saba recovers just as well!
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-09-2011, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
That's a relief! My friend's dog had a cruciate repair (not a TPLO) and pulled a muscle during his recovery. He's fine now and still does veteran agility. I have another friend whose dog did have a TPLO and she also still does agility so fingers crossed that Saba recovers just as well!
Thanks Pam. Veteran agility sounds right up my alley, just not sure I could convince Saba that she's a veteran...she still wants to zoom around like a young loon. Yesterday evening she was trying to start a game by twirling on the end of the lead. I had to pick her up to stop her. They just don't listen to the vets when they tell them to rest, do they?
Kevin Colwill
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-09-2011, 10:03 AM
For low impact exercise after an injury you can’t beat hydrotherapy. If there is a pool near you it’s worth booking a few sessions, works wonders.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Kevin Colwill View Post
For low impact exercise after an injury you can’t beat hydrotherapy. If there is a pool near you it’s worth booking a few sessions, works wonders.
Hydrotherapy is not always indicated after a TPLO and if it is the vet will have mentioned it.

Also any hydrotherapy should be administered by a NARCH approved therapist.

http://www.narch.org.uk/
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Our nearest animal hydrotherapy place is an hour and a half's drive away, AND Saba's very wary of water (she never goes in to the stream or pools above her ankles), so my vet didn't recommend it in this case. I'm hoping to find an osteopath and/or acupuncturist to help with the arthritis she is developing.
Kevin Colwill
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Hydrotherapy is not always indicated after a TPLO and if it is the vet will have mentioned it.

Also any hydrotherapy should be administered by a NARCH approved therapist.

http://www.narch.org.uk/
I'm not disagreeing with the comment above. Hydrotherapy may not always be appropriate and there are cowboys with hydrotherapy pools just like there are cowboys and “snake oil” salesmen in most other fields.
Over the years I've seen a lot of different therapies and treatments used on a lot of dogs. Some have clearly helped, some have looked like con tricks to me and I wouldn’t care to comment on some others. Hydrotherapy has produced amongst the most impressive and long lasting results I’ve seen. I’ve no axe to grind against any approach but if my dogs developed a significant orthopaedic problem I’d always visit a hydrotherapy professional to see if hydrotherapy was an option.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2