View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-08-2006, 07:00 PM

New pup problems (Older dog keeping her too much in her place? Ignore or intervene?)

We got our new pup this morning and introduced her the same way we did Star to Storm and Jake. Jake has accepted her fine with no problems, Star however there are a couple of problems with. There’s the normal putting her in her place when she goes to far but Star is taking this too far, a few examples are she was chewing her bed and when we told her no Star run over and barks right in her face, the same as when she was told to stop eating a plant and biting my toes and told to stop Star is there barking.

He also barks at her when she is in her crate and paws at the side of it. Other than that they are fine together and walk and play together. But it seems he is not giving enough freedom we don’t want to intervene and have him resentful but we don’t want it to carry on and have her scared of him.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2006, 08:54 PM
It sounds to me like he is trying to help you get the pup to do the right thing, just he's doing it rather loudly.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2006, 08:39 PM
We have a simular issue, Tara (my eldest dally) barks at my two puppies whenever I tell them off.....mind you, she barks at them all the time when we're not out walking! It sounds like if your eldest is playing nicely normally, then it really is just him putting her in her place and reinforcing what you (the pack leader) is saying.

One of the first nights we had Blue she was barking downstairs, Tara went down and barked at her to tell her to shuttup I assume....it worked, so it can have its uses!!!!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2006, 08:48 PM
I would just keep a close eye on them to be honest, rather than intervene.

When we introduced Isla we expected Woody to get on great with her as he loves all dogs, but to be honest he wasn't keen at all and was quite nasty at first. Now though they get on fine and Isla's learnt how far she can push it before he gets hacked off with her!

Good luck.
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2006, 09:44 PM
It is really hard isn't it I have had my prospective new pup home for some visits this week and WOW Miss Poppy becomes a different dog! If the babe comes near any of "her" people, she butts it right out of the way ! If it moves at more than a crawl she "hunts" it leaping on it and mouthing it around the neck, she has made it squeak once or twice.. when she has been over excited...
I have tried to keep Popps with me (lots of cuddles on the lap) and let the pup do its thing but Poppy will not leave it alone, she thought I had left my son alone with the puppy and she was frantic, barking, and scratching at the door to get in,.
Poppy is completely different when on the pups home territory?!

Rachel