Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2013, 10:06 PM

Advice on dealing with loss of appetite in a dog with kidney problems

Some of you will know that Tilly (16 years old) was diagnosed with kidney problems in November of this year. We have been dealing with this according to the vet's instructions and Tilly is still bright, happy and always ready for her walks.

About a week ago, she seemed to lose all interest in food (we had decided at her age not to force her to eat a renal food but to feed her the things she likes). We are hand feeding her little and often but I am really worried that if this continues she will not be getting enough nourishment to keep her strength up. The other difficulty is that some of her medication needs to be administered with food, which is making it hard to make sure that she is getting the medication.

We are not due to see the vet until early March, but if the lack of appetite continues I will of course arrange an appointment sooner.

Just wondered if anyone who has a dog with renal problems has any advice which would help us.
Ginge2602
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Hi, my last dog had kidney failure. She lost her appetite despite lovingly prepared chicken and fillet steak! Don't wait until march. I'd go now to vets. Sorry .... Don't want to frighten you but maybe her medication could be altered. Best wishes
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Our little bitch is also in kidney failure, I wouldn't wait, I would take her to the vet now. Part & parcel of kidney failure is nausea & your vet should be able to give her an anti nausea injection to help her x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Hi Susannah as the others say I would go back to the vet now .
The vet may advise flushing Tilly's kidneys to help increase her appetite.

The only advice I can give is to feed little and often of anything you can get down.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Thank you for your replies, Ginge, Velvetboxers and Minihaha. I will phone the vet tomorrow and in the meantime I will continue to feed her little and often with anything she will take.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-01-2013, 07:48 AM
I have no helpful advice for you but just want to send you some (((hugs))).
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2013, 08:14 AM
Loving prayers.. I had a cat with this far from any vet and did as you are doing, let her enjoy her food

And please, look after YOU in this.. easy to forget that.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2013, 04:30 PM
I am sorry about your 'oldie' and you have done exactly what I would have done giving Tilly what she want to eat at her age.

A good friend of mine who has a border collie who is now 12 was diagnosed with kidney disease/failure about a year ago and we all thought she was going to lose him. However, her vet 'washed' his kidneys through about 8 months ago and it has 'temporarily' changed the dogs life. He has been enjoying his walks hugely.

Good luck, it is so so hard to make decisions for our old dogs as we all just want to do what is best for them.
ellea
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2013, 09:14 PM
My 15yr old cat is going through the same problem and she is getting fed anything she wants as I know she is on a count down and if I have to call the vet at 3AM or 3pm I know I will get a vet with in 20 min and like you ,you know your dog and won't let it get to the stage of being in pain, as it is at the moment she will still give a left hook to the dogs so will keep her happy untill I have to make the call. I would Keep up with the vet checks at least once a fortnight
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2013, 09:46 PM
I have been really moved by the replies to my post - thank you Malka, Rosebud, Jenny and Ellea - your kindness makes me feel less alone while I am learning how to cope with Tilly's problems. Hearing from people who have experienced the same difficulties is so helpful too.

I did manage to speak to my vet today and explained what was happening. He asked me to go through what Tilly had eaten over the last days and seemed to think that I was worrying unnecessarily as he felt she was managing to eat enough to keep her going (maybe he is right and I am panicing before I need to). He advised me to continue feeding her by hand, whatever she will eat and phone him again next week to give him an update. He feels her medication is right for the stage she is at - so I will just carry on as I have been doing and review things next week.

Incidentally, I think Tilly must have overheard me talking about phoning the vet and possibly taking her to see him, as she has been eating much more enthusiastically today and I have managed to give her all of her medication. She continues to be enthusiastic about her walks and her tail is wagging constantly so there are no indications of discomfort.

I think I will just have to wait and see how she goes, but the vet doesnt seem to think she is in any crisis at the moment, thank goodness.

Once again, thank you all for your support.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >