Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Witholding food for several days is NOT positive punishment

Exactly, it is NEGATIVE punishment. but it is not withheld just for the hell of it for several days is it?

You recall the dog, it does not come, so what happens? It does not get fed. It is quick, if your TIMING is correct.

with positive punishment the dogs action causes something to happen that he wishes to not happen again so he learns not to do that thing again
the punishment has to be quick after the undersired behaviour

The dog is not going to equate not paying attention to you in the park to not getting his dinner 12 hours later

But we are not FEEDING it 12 hours later in this progamme are we? That is the WHOLE idea, it does not get fed for free, it gets ALL its MEALS during RECALL training?

Witholding the food is just to make the dog so bl00dy hungry that he becomes totaly focused on getting food

I cannot believe that someone who purports to be a dog trainer and wishes to join the APDT can so obviously fail to identify such a basic tenet of training?

IF my dog had the squits and I just fasted him for 4 days without getting a vet to look at him that would be cruelty
yes possibly it is needed to skip A meal or two - but if more than a day is needed then that is very cruel
And again WHERE in ANY post does it say any dog has been fasted for 4 days WITHOUT a vet's advice?
Please show me where anyone made this recommendation or statement?

Who said this?

Ps Report John Rogerson as well, you know that world famous dog trainer, who is highly respected and is a KCAI and Behaviourist!

Cos he subscribes to this too, and the APDT put on courses he runs!

Shock, HORROR run for the hills.

and what is the mantra for APDT.........?

OH yes, kind, fair and effective training, so we better report then too!
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 04:40 PM

The dog is not going to equate not paying attention to you in the park to not getting his dinner 12 hours later
I think if you accustom the dog to being fed on walks then he would understand more.

Having said that, I think my two would become scavengers if they were very hungry. At the moment they are good at 'leave it'.

So I think this method may cause other problems
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I think if you accustom the dog to being fed on walks then he would understand more.

Having said that, I think my two would become scavengers if they were very hungry. At the moment they are good at 'leave it'.

Mine are used to be getting fed on walks - and all sorts of places
But the OP's problem was her dog wasnt interested enough in treats to eat when other dogs were about so SB suggested making her dog hungry enough so he did eat
and the fact that he had missed 2 meals and still wasnt interested then she had to make him MORE hungry
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 04:45 PM
thats where the 4 days came from
And it says if you ONLY FEED YOUR DOG ON RECALLS, it does not say STARVE YOUR DOG FOR 4 DAYS!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
And again WHERE in ANY post does it say any dog has been fasted for 4 days WITHOUT a vet's advice?
Please show me where anyone made this recommendation or statement?

Who said this?

Ps Report John Rogerson as well, you know that world famous dog trainer, who is highly respected and is a KCAI and Behaviourist!

Cos he subscribes to this too, and the APDT put on courses he runs!

Shock, HORROR run for the hills.

and what is the mantra for APDT.........?

OH yes, kind, fair and effective training, so we better report then too!
So cos someone else uses it makes it OK??
I didnt know he did but if I ever meet him then I will have words with him about it too
I dont hold anyone or any organisation up on a pedestal, everyone is learning all the time and hopefully moving away from more cruel methods of training
I will look into this and complain if it is true

shock, horror - I am not crumbling because someone else does it - Im not a sheep I make my own decisions
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 04:47 PM

It could, but if you were a good trainer you would make sure you carried out this training where it did not have an opportunity to scavenge!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
And it says if you ONLY FEED YOUR DOG ON RECALLS, it does not say STARVE YOUR DOG FOR 4 DAYS!
Yes but she said after 2 meals skipped he was still not eating around other dogs so you said she had to make him MORE hungry
He isnt taking treats on recals so following your advice means not feeding the dog for long periods of time

If that is not what you ment then I would think about changing how it reads because lurkers reading this thread WILL take it to mean starve your dog for 4 days
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Well to my mind food is available to the dog if he wants to come and get it. That is not the same as witholding food for several days.
But thats not what SB advocates he says to with hold food for several days!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 04:51 PM
So cos someone else uses it makes it OK??
I didnt know he did but if I ever meet him then I will have words with him about it too
I dont hold anyone or any organisation up on a pedestal, everyone is learning all the time and hopefully moving away from more cruel methods of training
I will look into this and complain if it is true

shock, horror - I am not crumbling because someone else does it - Im not a sheep I make my own decisions
HAve you not been on any of his courses, read any of his books?

The APDT have backed JR for decades and if they found his methods so objectionable I doubt if they would stock his books in their library or advertise his courses would they?

I am not suggesting you crumble at all, I am merely pointing out that your views are ill conceived and not supported by the broad base of ethical dog trainers in this country nor the organisation to which you aspire to belong.

Why not pose that on their forum to see what they come back with?
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 04:51 PM
I am struggling to see the difference in giving treats for obeying a recall command and giving the dog his food ration. If dogs can learn that to come when called means getting a treat then surely they can learn that to come when called means they will get their food ration.

However, if the dog is not hugely interested in food why would he continue to come once he has had part of his meal?
Page 10 of 16 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »