Dogsey Senior

06-06-2004, 09:21 AM

Swans kill two dogs

Any one read in the Our Dogs paper about the swans that have killed two dogs
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2004, 09:37 AM
I read about it in the paper last week. If it was the same one, it dragged one of the dogs into the water and drowned it. Think it was a spaniel (not sure what kind though)
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

06-06-2004, 10:18 AM
Yes it is the same article Apparently the male is very protective and attacks anything that gets near his domain. You would think the wardens would put up warning notices.
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

06-06-2004, 11:28 AM
If it was a dog killing a swan there would be uproar!
Robert
Dogsey Senior

06-06-2004, 12:33 PM
I can't see a swan being strong enough to hold down a dog under water well able to defend itself with teeth. Sounds like another urban myth to me, like the one where a swan can break a grown mans arm with one beat of its wing. That would be like trying to break an arm with a twig.

I share Chloe's sentiments, especially after witnessing a swan attack a dog.

I saw a dog attacked by a swan recently at a boat yard, the dog was walking along the waters edge snifing the ground, when taken by surprise from behind, it turned to defend it self and then ran off, leaving the swan mortally wounded, within days the stories going round the boat yard had the dog swimming out to the swan to attack it, never mind I'd seen it happen.
The dog as it happens is a very well trained gundog that is steady around animals of any kind, but it was soon made out to be the villain of the piece.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

06-06-2004, 01:00 PM
Took Rocky for a walk this thursaday and there were Swans there! And they started Hissing! Not at us tho but to a mother and toddler! lol
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2004, 08:40 PM
I believe it. Swans are able to and have killed humans. Their wing span is huge and they are extremely strong.

A few years ago I wanted to take the kids (my daugher, and some of our little cousins) to feed the ducks. I had 6 children with me alone. So we drove around to all of the usual areas, but no ducks were around. Then we found another area I used to feed the ducks at when I was small, and only a family of swans were there. Despite the don't feed the swans sign, we got out with our bread to feed them. We had driven around for over an hour, and the kids wanted to feed the ducks, I promised them, so I was determined. Well it was fine when the one adult was near us. He was eating. Then the mother and babies swam up and the male hopped out of the water and went after us. It was sick! All of the kids ran and I was last. The swan trapped me in, so I slowly backed up and zig zag like around him. He let me go. He could have stopped me. It was really scary. Needless to say, we will never ever disobey a sign. Lesson learned, lol
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2004, 07:27 AM
OMG We have a little lake just behind where I live, the bike path goes just along side the lake. We have a swan couple and the female is lying on the nest. I have to watch out they don't attack me or Luna.

Jeanette
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2004, 08:44 PM
yeah remember when roy hattersleys staffy cross alsatian killed one of the queens geese in st james' park, he had to go to court over it.which reminds me has anyone else read the hilarious busters diary by roy hattersley, its written from the dog's point of view and is absolutely hilarious!!
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2004, 08:44 PM
yeah remember when roy hattersleys staffy cross alsatian killed one of the queens geese in st james' park, he had to go to court over it.which reminds me has anyone else read the hilarious busters diary by roy hattersley, its written from the dog's point of view and is absolutely hilarious!!