Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 08:09 PM

Natural ways to prevent ticks?

Can anyone recommend any natural ways (apart from not walking the dogs!) to try to prevent ticks?

This year seems to be really bad for them - we're constantly having to take them off both dogs.

I know that some of the flea treatments work on ticks too, but I really don't like to use them - the dogs coats always seem to go awful afterwards.

I also read somewhere that garlic works? Does anyone use this and if so, how much garlic and how regularly ?

thanks
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 08:25 PM
i'd be really interested to hear too.. we'd never had a problem with them, until last year when the 'back field' had been left as set-aside and was just grass.. the dogs were absolutely covered in ticks.. i'd sometimes be taking 20 off a day.. so we had to try something..

..so treated them with frontline.. two were fine after that, but it just didn't work on Heidi, our oldest. It was quite distressing for her to have the ticks removed so often, so later on, we tried one of the cheaper treatments and it worked! However, her coat went terrible, and she still has a mark where it was applied..

would love to know if there are any other remedies..
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Garlic..

Mine get 1 fresh clove in their tea a couple of times a wk
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 08:40 PM
There is something called diacotomous earth which you can get at Holistic Pet Supplies (I think that's what it is called.) I have no idea if it works but it is completely chemical free and similar to the nematodes I recently bought to put on the garden to kill the slugs. It is a powder and you sprinkle it on your dog. Might be worth checking out.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
i'd be really interested to hear too.. we'd never had a problem with them, until last year when the 'back field' had been left as set-aside and was just grass.. the dogs were absolutely covered in ticks.. i'd sometimes be taking 20 off a day.. so we had to try something..

..so treated them with frontline.. two were fine after that, but it just didn't work on Heidi, our oldest. It was quite distressing for her to have the ticks removed so often, so later on, we tried one of the cheaper treatments and it worked! However, her coat went terrible, and she still has a mark where it was applied..

would love to know if there are any other remedies..

Me too. Mine had a similar prob when we went to Scotland, I thought Stronghold covered Ticks then realised it didn't so I also used Frontline for subsequent trips there , it did work for my two.
Foo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-05-2008, 10:14 PM
While you all search out tick remedies id like to introduce you to my friend Wendy... please all be careful this is perfectly true and a risk to us all

http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/story/wendy_fox.htm

also be aware of garlic and onion poisoning
http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/...dInterest=1101
http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/....pdf?docID=349
ssrinc5@earthli
New Member!
Female 

19-05-2008, 02:58 AM
After trying any number of both natural and "man made" anti-tick remedies on my dogs, the only product I've found that really works is the Preventic tick collar. Not only is it very effective, it also can safely be used in conjunction with Frontline when ticks are especially pervasive.

Hindy

http://www.preventic.com/