View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-01-2006, 05:57 PM
My two are far easier to leave behind (something we do rarely, and with reluctance! We like them with us, whenever possible!) than Kali was, when he was the "only dog". Now, they just lie down and wait - knowing there will be "compensation" when we get back home.

Funnily enough, it's when they're left in the car that any trouble occurs - Snorri won't go in the back of the car with Kali (too many beatings-up when he was little), but he gets up and tries to start fights with Kali, through the dog-guard if we try to leave them together. (The little b*gger must have taken £££ off the resale value of our car !!)

Snorri
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2006, 06:40 PM
i dog and 3 cats is more than enough in our flat with no garden, if we had a big house with a huge garden then yes id get another dog.but until i come up on the lottery its a no-no for me
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by bens mum
i dog and 3 cats is more than enough in our flat with no garden, if we had a big house with a huge garden then yes id get another dog.but until i come up on the lottery its a no-no for me
I have 1 dog and 1 cat in a tiny flat. If I was allowed more pets, I wouldnt think twice about getting another dog. I dont think the room is important. Aslong as they get plenty of exercise.. I don't have a garden either.. But don't see that as a problem either.
silv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2006, 06:54 PM
I;m of mixed feelings about this one.
I had my boxer,Diva for 2 yrs on her own and was fortunate to be able to take her to work with me (horse job) and it was great.....she was a go everywhere dog!
Then we got Rambo, GSD( OH' dog) and 2 dogs at work would have been too much,so I feel a bit that Diva then missed out on things because I felt it unfair to take her and leave the GSD behind,so left her too!
But I have Loved watching them play over the years
I now still have Rambo,(Diva at RB)and a 6 month SBT,Saffy,so am sticking to 2!
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by tuti
Bodhi I would wait until your pup is about a year-2years old and fully trained, and past the norty teenager phase.... then get another dog to keep her company
No worries there - even if I wanted one, there is no way I could get another addition now - this is just pie in the sky stuff for now
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2006, 10:26 AM
i woudl love to have more than one - but with Bruno being a horror that wont happen ! He loves human company though so dont think he is that bothered.

dani
ste.n.steph
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2006, 12:55 PM
when we got our first doggie, he was fine with us and loved being with us but when we got our girl you see a change they do everything together, i do think its better to have atleast 2 doggies, i have 7 now lol and they all play together but also have their own pairs apart from our rottie angel he prefers being on his own but saying that i bet if we got a female rottie it would be a different story again.
i guess it just depends on you and your doggie
Take Care
Steph
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Mrs S and i have more-or-less decided that there won't be a third doggie in Snorri Mansions - any new arrival will be after Kali departs - my only worry about a new pup is that Snorr-dog doesn't take kindly to other dogs (he gets VERY jealous; he thinks they are all out to steal "his people") and might give a puppy a hard time (not very nice, when I consider how tolerant Kali was towards Snorri the newcomer!).

However, they are so used to being together as a "brace", and to having each other as company, that I think it's likely that I'll stick to two for as long as possible.

When Kali was little, we tried to rear an abandoned kitten. Unfortunately, we didn't succeed, and the poor thing died. Kali spent days looking for it afterwards, even after its box had been disposed of.

When Snorri-dog arrived, Kali's attitude was "Hmmm, what's HE doing here?", and the next day, it was "Hmmmm, what's he doing STILL here?" - then Kali realized that Snorri was permanent. He did his best to ignore his little brother, who was trying very hard to get Kali to play, but there was no bad attitude.

Now, they've worked out a relationship which involves a great deal of ganging-up on me to get what they want! Being team-worked by two BCs is simply a no-win situation for the owner! They will both sit there and "eye" you into submission!

Snorri
Jane L
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Two for preference definitely. I don't think that I could cope with two puppies though! When I had two dogs before, the second was an elderly rescue we adopted and that seemed to work really well and our first (and younger dog) adored him.
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Is there an accepted wisdom about whether 2 girls, 2 boys or one of each is the best combo, or are dogs not as fussy as cats ? And what about a preferred age gap, given 2 new puppies at once would be 'interesting'!

(Hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread Bohdi).
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >