Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2005, 02:39 PM

eBay

How safe is it to use, with respect to computer security - viruses, spyware, phishing etc.?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2005, 02:42 PM
I used it the other day for the first time, to buy the dogs new beds, I don't think there is much of a threat of that kind of thing, but can't be 100% for sure of course.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
How safe is it to use, with respect to computer security - viruses, spyware, phishing etc.?
it would be to much for me to write that would take me two days found this link maybe that can explain better than i could in writing

http://www.esnipe.com/eSnipeTutorial...s/SoHowBig.htm
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2005, 02:54 PM
PayPal can be a bit risky with phishing
I get letters from them saying to log into my ebay account and when i do it asks me to supply my cash machine card pin number so i knew it wasn't official and sent the e mail to ebay
If your sensible it shouldn't be a problem
I've used ebay for years and haven't had any trouble
Hiya boi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2005, 03:02 PM
I've been using e-bay for the past 4 years and never had a direct problem with any spyware etc.The only thing you will get when you set up your account is spoof e-mail pretending to be from either e-bay or paypal and asking you for your password or even credit card details.Just remember they are all spoof/spam and both e-bay and paypal will NEVER ask for any personal details such as credit card or password information.
I've had absolutely loads of bargains on e-bay and I don't know where I'd be without it.
A tip before bidding ,always price the item or similar item on another site or in a shop first so you have an idea of the true value,always check the p+p first as some people hike up the postage costs to make a fast buck.never pay straight away always wait at least 24 hours this gives e-bay a chance to catch up as I've been caught out before and paid for an item minutes after I won only to have e-bay e-mail me to say the item had been withdrawn about 2 hours later,luckily on both occassions I had the sellers contact so I could e-mail them direct and resolve it....both times the item had been withdrawn as e-bay decided they didn't like the fonts used to advertise the item....duh it had been on there for about a week so why hadn't they picked it up before.
Anyway I'm waffling now.Go for it .It's perfectly safe
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks guys.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Same for us, we've bought all sorts and never a problem. It's well patrolled and great bargains. A bit like gambling though so know what you want to spend and walk away if it goes over your limit!
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2005, 08:25 PM
i must say the only problems i have ever had from ebay were from people who didnt send out goods after i paid for them ,, and 1 of those later became the subject of a massive police investigation for fraud ..( guess he shouldnt have ripped me off huh) turned out hed sold items to 3000 people and no one recieved anything !
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by deefin
i must say the only problems i have ever had from ebay were from people who didnt send out goods after i paid for them ,, and 1 of those later became the subject of a massive police investigation for fraud ..( guess he shouldnt have ripped me off huh) turned out hed sold items to 3000 people and no one recieved anything !
Did they catch him?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by deefin

It wasn't a guy selling DVD's was it?
Cos the same thing happened to me. I paid for a DVD, didn't get it, then found out he was under police investigation about it!
He hadn't sent any items out