Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2012, 09:54 AM

Opinions please

Opinions on the ingredients for this food please...

Cereal* (46% corn*, wheat*), meat* and animal by-products* (23% chicken*), vegetable by-products* (soybean hulls*, sunflower seeds*), oils* and fats* (3.5% chicken fat*), minerals, yeast.
* = from controlled biological cultivation, Skal 1301

Vitamin A (15,000 IU/kg), Vitamin D3 (1,500 IU/kg), Vitamin E (120 IU/kg), Zinc (110 mg/kg), Copper (10 mg/kg).

calcium 1.3 %
fiber 2.0 %
phosphorus 1.05 IU
ash 6.5 %
fat 8.0 %
moisture 9.5 %
sodium 0.3 IU
protein 24.0 %
carbohydrates 50.0 %
magnesium 0.12 IU
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2012, 09:57 AM
i dont know much about looking into ingredients, but it doesnt seem like there is alot of meat in the product at only 23% and thats by products as well... what food is it?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2012, 10:00 AM
I thought there was a lot of cereals in there too.
It's called Yarrah - and is organic.

This is their Gluten free food...

Grain* (70% rice*), meat & meat by-products* (24% chicken), egg & egg products (powdered chicken egg*), oils* & fats* (2% chicken fat*), minerals, seaweed*, spirulina*.

*certified organically produced, Skal 1301.

Vitamin A (15,000 IU/kg), Vitamin D3 (1,500 IU/kg), Vitamin E (120 IU/kg), zinc (110 mg/kg), copper (10 mg/kg).

Not asking for me....asking as a customer wanted to know if I can get it (I can't), but I had never heard of it, so did a bit of looking!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2012, 10:00 AM
I wouldnt feed this due to the levels of cereals, and meat/by products
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2012, 10:02 AM
seems like there is alot of cereals and grain in them! i prefer foods with more meat content if i fed dry, which is why im weaning pups on to arden grange as well as their raw food.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
seems like there is alot of cereals and grain in them! i prefer foods with more meat content if i fed dry, which is why im weaning pups on to arden grange as well as their raw food.
Ditto Which is what I try and explain to my customers if they are willing to listen (most are).
I too feed Arden Grange (wet and dry) to the pups, and dry to the kittens!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Opinions on the ingredients for this food please...

Cereal* (46% corn*, wheat*), meat* and animal by-products* (23% chicken*), vegetable by-products* (soybean hulls*, sunflower seeds*), oils* and fats* (3.5% chicken fat*), minerals, yeast.
* = from controlled biological cultivation, Skal 1301

Vitamin A (15,000 IU/kg), Vitamin D3 (1,500 IU/kg), Vitamin E (120 IU/kg), Zinc (110 mg/kg), Copper (10 mg/kg).

calcium 1.3 %
fiber 2.0 %
phosphorus 1.05 IU
ash 6.5 %
fat 8.0 %
moisture 9.5 %
sodium 0.3 IU
protein 24.0 %
carbohydrates 50.0 %
magnesium 0.12 IU
I don't think it is terrible but it isn't great either. I'd rather the grain in dog food was rice as it is more digestible. 46% corn and wheat -- sounds like what you would feed a chicken!

Chicken-by-products are not a bad thing IMO.

Soybean hulls and sunflower seeds??? are we feeding birds or canines here? what nutritional value do they hold?

Not something I'd ever feed, but better than some of the crap that is sold in supermarkets.
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I don't think it is terrible but it isn't great either. I'd rather the grain in dog food was rice as it is more digestible. 46% corn and wheat -- sounds like what you would feed a chicken!

Chicken-by-products are not a bad thing IMO.

Soybean hulls and sunflower seeds??? are we feeding birds or canines here? what nutritional value do they hold?

Not something I'd ever feed, but better than some of the crap that is sold in supermarkets.
Hi there!
Have you guys seen dogfoodanalysis. lts a really informative website that has helped me alot in chosing a kibble that's better for my epileptic dog than the stuff he's on at the moment. The general consensus is a) dogs in the wild would NEVER eat grain, so grain free is best, and b) there's so much rubbish and unhealthy fillers (including the addition of sawdust...I kid you not!)..in most popular brands! As you already know, Arden Grange is very good, but not for me as it contains rosemary which may trigger seizures in epi dogs. (l know that rosemary is used instead of artificial preservatives- you can't seem to have it both ways-but unless l have it confirmed from the manufacturer that it "decamphorates" the rosemary,l'm very wary.) Sorry to ramble, but l've spent most of this week researching healthier kibble whilst the dust in my house gets thicker!