Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2010, 12:27 PM

Lungworm?

I think Storm ate a slug last night, when we were out walking. As he went into the hedge and came out eating something squishy. It had been raining and there were lots of slugs about, so it's likely he was eating one. We don't think he's been vaccinated against Lungworm, so should this be a priority if he may be eating slugs?

Thanks.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Yes, I'm afraid so, it's those and snails that cause the lungworm and you don't get vaccinated against it, you use a suitable wormer, or a spot on treatment like Stronghold I think or maybe it's the Advocate? I would definitely be doing a Stronghold treatment if I were you, coz you just never know and it's such an awful condition, good luck.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 12:42 PM
There's no preventative for lungworm unfortunately, and not really any symptoms until the infestation is quite advanced and has caused a fair bit of damage (a severe infestation will leave the lungs full of scar tissue) so if you suspect there is lungworm in your area, then you are best to regularly treat the dogs for lungworm. I am in an area where lungworm has been reported quite frequently (my mum's pup had it recently too) so I treat my dogs with Advocate flea treatment on a monthly basis. They're grass grazers and we walk across lots of fields, so I think they're probably more likely to contract it than some dogs. From various forum posts, it seems that treatment is a course of Panacur wormer (for 7/10 days - think it's 10 but as I don't go down the Panacur route I can't remember exactly) or two doses of Advocate (one dose kills off something like 90% but a second dose is necessary to count as a proper treatment), one month apart. By treating my dogs with Advocate monthly, I'm basically treating them for lungworm on a monthly basis, so should they pick it up, the infestation would never grow that much because I'll have treated for it within the next 30 days. I don't like pumping my dogs full of chemicals and didn't used to flea treat unless I found fleas, but this is just something I'm not prepared to take a risk with because I've heard of dogs becoming seriously ill and even dying from lungworm with barely any symptoms prior to illness/death.
If it's not so common in your area and your dogs are less likely to eat any slugs/snails or eat grass/drink from water sources that could be infected then you may not need to treat so frequently. I've heard of some people just giving a 2 month dose of Advocate or a course of Panacur at the peak months of slug/snail activity, or when they suspect their dog may have had a slug feast, which might be an option for you.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Our vet advised using Advocate for Toby as he has a habit of chewing up slugs and crunching snails!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 01:06 PM
http://www.lungworm.co.uk/ has some good info
The only signs my mum's pup showed was a slight cough, usually after her mad dashes in the evening, and getting tired more easily than usual. The vet ruled out kennel cough and treated for lungworm and Bella soon bounced back, but it is far better to catch it before symptoms if you can.
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I've just spoken to the receptionist at my vets and Storm is already covered against Lungworm. He had a 3 monthly Milbemax tablet for Worms about two weeks ago.

Phew, that's a relief!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Stormpants View Post

I've just spoken to the receptionist at my vets and Storm is already covered against Lungworm. He had a 3 monthly Milbemax tablet for Worms about two weeks ago.

Phew, that's a relief!
As far as I've heard, Milbemax would have to be applied more frequently to treat lungworm than it would to treat regular worms. Trying to find somewhere with a science-y explanation but so far I've found various forum posts saying it's a once-a-week, four week course of Milbemax for lungworm because it only reduces the infestation rather than treating it entirely. Not to worry you but it's worth looking into - I know lots of people (some vets included) seemed to think Panacur was OK when administered normally but it has to be given as a longer course .
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Stormpants View Post

Phew, that's a relief!
I've got to agree with krlyr here, though the Milbemax should help to keep any infestation to a minimum. The only drug registered for the treatment of lungworm is Advocate
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Here you go Angiostrongylus vasorum is lungworm

http://www.ah.novartis.com/products/...emax_cat.shtml

Further Milbemax is indicated for the reduction of the level of infection of Crenosoma vulpis and Angiostrongylus vasorum (according to specific treatment schedule as advised by veterinarian
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Advocate

http://www.advocate-spot-on.com/

treatment of lungworms in dogs (Angiostrongylus vasorum)