View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2010, 09:05 AM
I got involved with a couple brought over from Thailand. Both had problems with dog/dog interaction due to the way they live over there.

They have loose 'packs' with a top dog and various others and they have a definite territory thery keep to and they get rid of unwanted dogs---so it was a bit of a culture shock for both of them, one became timid and one aggressive but both cope well now.

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2010, 09:16 AM
If you don`t agree with adopting dogs from abroad, don`t get one!
The passage for the dogs is paid for by the prospective owners, and all the people do it for nothing. It isn`t a UK thing, although the GAR office is in the UK. People from all over the world supprt these Rescues.
They also work in the countries concerned, so it`s not just a rehoming thing.
One Galgo rehomed on the UK won`t make much inroad into the hundreds put to death in the cruellest ways at the end of the hunting season. But one owner and one dog telling their friends, and then them telling their friends about the situation of hanged dogs in Spain or poisoned dogs in Greece will do more than a thousand adverts. And for less cost.
Take the wider view. We go on holiday to enjoy beautiful places all over the world. Should we just take the beauty and not give something back? Should we leave our holiday home and not give a thought for the strays we have thrown a few scraps to who will die when the season is ended?
I have an Irish, and Greek and two English dogs. They all needed out. Distress doesn`t have frontiers.
megatronic
New Member!
Female 

14-08-2010, 09:47 AM
I have one from the UK and one from Ireland, I was insistent my 2nd one came from abroad, but I did have to be sure whatever it was would be a good choice for my other dog. If one had become available in the UK at that time I would have adopted it.

if the rescue are doing everything for you then it shoudn't be a problem.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2010, 02:25 PM
I know a couple that fell in love with a stray dog and cat that used to visit them everyday while they were staying in Greece on holiday, they arranged for a local sanctuary to help them get their pet passports, and eventually they both came over, I think she said at the time it was the most expensive hol they had, they dont regret it as they love their pets, but, what they did say was, until meeting these two animals they had not thought about having ANY pets at all, it was just karma that these two come along and they grew attached to them and couldnt leave them a possible awful fate.

Mo
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
I know a couple that fell in love with a stray dog and cat that used to visit them everyday while they were staying in Greece on holiday, they arranged for a local sanctuary to help them get their pet passports, and eventually they both came over, I think she said at the time it was the most expensive hol they had, they dont regret it as they love their pets, but, what they did say was, until meeting these two animals they had not thought about having ANY pets at all, it was just karma that these two come along and they grew attached to them and couldnt leave them a possible awful fate.

Mo
That's lovely. Goes to show that sometimes things do happen for a reason.

To a certain extent I feel that there are more than enough dogs here that need new homes but although of course we have animal cruelty, we don't have all that many instances (maybe because of dog wardens, british culture/the way peopel feel about dogs etc) of stray dogs being left out in the street to die, be poisoned, be hanged etc.
So at the same time I feel that some of those dogs in other countries that are at risk of being subjected to such cruelty should have the opportunity of coming here if that's what it takes to keep them safe, healthy and happy for the rest of their lives.

Persnoally, I feel quite guilty at times that I don't have millions and lots of land to be able to rescue/rehome more dogs. Having said that, I couldn't rescue them all.

Laura xx
Elizabeth13
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2011, 11:49 PM
I've wondered about this.

Are they easy dogs to keep, or with quite a few problems?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 12:26 AM
I dont have a problem if someone wants to rescue a dog from anywhere in the world, if they can afford it and thats the dog that tugs your heartstrings then who are we to dictate how they spend their money

I am a dog lover - not a UK dog lover

we cant rescue every dog in the world but we can help the ones we can

Dawn, how comes it is OK to buy from and encourage a breeder when there are so many homeless dogs in the UK - but it is not OK to rescue one from another country??
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 06:44 AM
I do not really care where people decide to adopt dogs from, it is their money, so their choice, as long as I am not subsidising this by any means ie if I support a UK canine charity/home I would want that money to go to support dogs in the UK not abroad.

If I wanted my money to go to ANY dogs ANYWHERE then there are specific charities that support this view.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

I am a dog lover - not a UK dog lover

Dawn, how comes it is OK to buy from and encourage a breeder when there are so many homeless dogs in the UK - but it is not OK to rescue one from another country??

WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Any dog deserves a good home regardless of where it comes from. There are too many born to all have that luxury so we as humans have the luxury of choosing what we want our companion for the next 15 years (hopefully) to behave and look like. We have the luxury of choosing a dog to fit our lifestyle and hobbies.

Where that dog comes from is our choice.

rune
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >