Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 03:04 PM

13 year old fit for lump removal?

Since I got him, Eddy's always had a few little skin tags and warts which I've never worried about.

He's got a little lump on his front right leg which has never bothered him before so I never worried about it, but now he's chewing it and pulling at it and it looks like it's been bleeding.

He's paying a lot of attention to it and it's clearly bothering him..

What concerns me is he's 13 years old and although he's fit in general, I know the risk is increased.

Having said that, I've heard of a lot of elderly animals going for lump and tumour removals...

What would you do if he was your dog? Bearing in mind...
The lump is bothering him
He's fit and active but does regularly get fits of reverse sneezing
He's at the lower end of the recommended weight for his breed (23kg)
Seems healthy in every other way
Could do with a scale and polish while he's under!!

Thanks... I think I know what I want to do but I went through hell when Takara went under GA for her spay so I'd be a quivering wreck when it came to my old boy!!
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 03:30 PM
I'd see the vet and ask for his opinion - the risk of GA is much much lower than it used to be although I always worry as well but I would not want my animal bothered by something.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks Julie...

In reality I know I don't really have much of a choice because the only time he leaves it alone is if he's walking or he's asleep (or if there's food to beg for!). He's really preoccupied by it now.

I work at the vets where he's registered so I'll be there throughout the surgery and as I do the post op care, there'll be no waiting around to know he's ok!

We did say that we wouldn't put him under GA to have his teeth done when we got him a year and a half ago so we've been working on them since then and his breath still stinks so at least we can do his teeth while he's under if he goes in for his leg!

I'm still going to worry A LOT though!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 03:45 PM
I agree with Mudiwarx - see what the vet says.
If it was me and the Vet OK'ed it, I would have the op done (though I would probably worry too).
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 03:49 PM
I agree with the others, but wanted to add, its possible that even after surgery he will still worry the area if its become a habit, so that is something you need to think about.

Mo
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I thought that too, Mo. (He's got a thing about his willy and bites it out of habit )

I want to nip it in the bud before it becomes a habit, it's only the last day or so he's been doing it - upto then it's never bothered him - even when I first notice it and looked at it.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Lottie, at least you will be there and in the know rather than at home pacing the floor.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I know fudgeley, it'll probably help (unless something did happen!)

I'll ask my boss on Monday and see what she thinks - I'd rather get it sorted sooner rather than later (especially as I have money in the bank at the moment!!)
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 01:38 PM
I'd get it sorted babe, the last thing eddy would need would be for it to become infected! Thinking of you x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 01:45 PM
One of my old girls had something like this and the vet always said for us to leave it alone until it bothered her. One day it just erupted (years later) and so we had to rush her in for surgery, although she was only about 10 then. She did have a further op at 13 when she had pyometra and could have died if she didn't have the op, and she lived a further 3 years, and was full of beans after that op at 13, and don't forget she was very, very ill at the time. As long as a dog is fit and healthy and their heart is good, then the risk factor is reduced, but you're in a good position to ask your boss!

Do you KNOW this lump is a tumour then? Have you had it biopsied yet? Could it just be an abcess that they can lance without putting her out maybe? All the best, but you have to speak to a vet before deciding don't you. Good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >