Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2005, 12:52 PM

Fern got bitten in the park

He went running up to play with another GSD -black long haired, I called him back but OH thought the GSD would be okay and the owner didn't say otherwise so we let him go to play - it seemed fine for the first 30 secs then Fern is squealing and running away as fast as lightning in a panic

Managed to get him to see me and he came running still crying his head off.

OH told me that at the last second that he overheard the lady saying to her dog 'be nice this time', on hearing this he realised that the dog wasn't a 'play nice' kind of dog but it was too late.

Luckily there were no slinging word matches or anything, I think the lady knew her dog might react that way, and I was just glad that Fern had the brains to run away from the dog.

I was really pleased that Fern came running to us when we called him, as it looked like he was going to shoot off and hide somewhere. What a relief, he's okay, we gave him a twice over at home and he's settled down for the afternoon.

Anyway all is well
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2005, 12:56 PM
Oh no Ingrid Poor little Fern

But I'm glad he had the sense to run away like you say - I always thought Fern would be the type not to back down Glad the little one had the sense not to get in trouble

Any recent pics?
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2005, 01:00 PM
It's so annoying isn't it? If people know their dogs aren't friendly why don't they put them on a lead? That woman obviously knew her dog might be aggressive, so why would she let him run around with other dogs?
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Hi Tuti, thanks to SB's excellent advice when we were having dominance problems when he was a baby, she taught me a little trick, instead of letting Fern to take control when 'under attack' I was to place my body between the two dogs to show them that I was the one controlling the situation, only had to do this once and now Fern understands that I'm his protector.

OH was embarassed when Fern saw a squirrel for the very first time, he ran inbetween my legs and cautiously took a few steps forward to inspect the squirrel who had then decided to shoot up the tree - yes our GSD is quite the sensitive wee flower

I'll take some new photos of Fern today and will post them in the photo section.

Hi Minda, unfortunate situation but at least the lady was responsible enough to ask whether our dog was okay, it was a lesson to us though to ask in advance whether a dog is friendly or not, although we sometimes find this question offends owners, but heck rather offend than end up with a dog fight
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by minda
It's so annoying isn't it? If people know their dogs aren't friendly why don't they put them on a lead? That woman obviously knew her dog might be aggressive, so why would she let him run around with other dogs?

The woman should have told you her dog might not play nice - but to be fair Minda it was Fern which approached this other dog not the other way around (from how MC's post reads anyway )
Ziggie does not like other dogs and i'm just off to have a rant about what happened to us today in a different thread - but ziggie is always under control and will ignore other dogs - if another person allows there dog to approach him after we've told them he's not a "play" kind of dog they get a mouthful from me i'm afraid...the woman should have said, but Fern should not have approached...

That said - glad he's ok MC just be careful about dogs you don't know not all owners are as responsible as us dogwebbers

H xxx
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Absolutely true Kickstart, Fern did approach him We did recall him immediately and then we stood by, the owner didn't seem to mind so we mistakenly thought this meant it was okay for them to play & so we let him off again but hey you learn something new everyday, not to assume that is

In OH's words, it was also a good lesson for Fern too not to be overconfident.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-12-2005, 02:13 PM
As long as Fern was not hurt somtimes it does young dogs no harm to be put in their place by older dogs, that is how they learn how to read a dogs body language and the best way to behave in future
squibber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Agree that it's good for young 'uns to read the body language. The only thing that does annoy me is when someone clearly isn't in control of their off lead dog and witter on about "Oh dear, he's sometimes alright with other dogs". Only "sometimes" simply isn't good enough in my book!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
As long as Fern was not hurt somtimes it does young dogs no harm to be put in their place by older dogs, that is how they learn how to read a dogs body language and the best way to behave in future
You're so right Mini!

Unfortunately for puppys/adolescent dogs-they are right at the bottom of canine hyrachy (sp?) and being told off by an older dog is the only way they learn.

Its all part of natures learning curve!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Poor Fern!

But at least he seems to have learned a lesson and isn't damaged.

Takara wouldn't have the sense to run away - she doesn't understand that they don't want to play She really doesn't seem to understand body language.

I think it's because she's been around some really nice dogs who just bare their teeth but never actually carry it out so she doesn't believe any harm will come to her!

Glad your wee man's ok!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >