Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2007, 01:39 PM

Slugs in the house- ugghhhhhhh !!!!

I have a family of pet slugs that appear after dark and have raves in my kitchen and hall judging bythe trails I find most mornings. They find the dog chews/bones and feast on those.I also have plenty outside but those I dont mind as much. Occasionally I come downstairs middle of the night and catch one or two- dose em with salt and watch them curl up and die.....Im sure someone told me its possible to buy slugpellets/bait tht aren't poisonous to dogs. Does anyone know where I can find them ?

Cath
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Be carefull with poisons, also make sure the dogs don't eat the slugs, the dogs could get lung worm, place a line of salt across the doorway where you think the slugs are getting in.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
Be carefull with poisons, also make sure the dogs don't eat the slugs, the dogs could get lung worm, place a line of salt across the doorway where you think the slugs are getting in.
thanks for that-I dont use any poisons- only stuff I know wont hurt my dog.Ill put salt down along the doorframe to stop the ones coming from outside. Its the odd one that is obviously hiding/living in the house that Im trying to catch...... luckily my pooch hates slugs and snails- she will sniff them but she's never attempted to eat one. Fussy JR Madam
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2007, 04:44 PM
I had the same probs here,some were massive.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2007, 04:49 PM
I used to have slugs in a previous house - hard as I have a phobia about them!

You can buy pet friendly stuff which I think is basically salt.

Helen
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-09-2007, 05:01 PM
I would be looking for their way into your house and blocking that!

Does your waste pipe from sink exits the kitchen straight through the wall and into a small drain about 12-18" wide outside? My guess is that there is a gap between the mortar & plastic pipe which has opened up over time and they're invading through there.

Other places to look for gaps are around external door frames,windows and broken airbricks.

I hate slugs and snails!!! :smt071
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Ewww I hate slugs. I can sympathize too, we used to get them all the time in our last house that we sold. I could never figure out how they got in either. Horrible things!!
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 12:33 PM
I have these, horrid, horrid things, and the trail they behind is awfull, good idea about putting the salt down, I'll give that a go the worse thing is in the middle of the night getting up to the loo (ours is downstairs) and treading on one with bear feet, they go pop, then you feel it ouzing between your toes :smt078