Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by scarter View Post
I don't take it as a personal attack at all. You're stating honestly how you interpret things and trying to offer helpful advice. But your interpretation is wrong - we aren't unhappy with them at all. It's true that it's a challenge getting them off-lead safely but we didn't go into this blind and we're more than willing to put in extra effort to give them good quality of life.

Yes, I think you're right when you say our dogs have a good life - have you seen their blog? Part of the reason that they are so happy and that we enjoy them so much is that we have always worked hard to let them run free as much as possible. They thrive on it and we thrive on watching them. Here's a clip of the lure coursing to give you an idea of how much they love to run:

http://vimeo.com/6142180

Yes, I'm sure they'd be very happy if they couldn't do this. But we feel that this is what Beagles are all about (ours anyway). They love it. We love to watch them so we're willing to go the extra mile to give them the best possible quality of life.

Sometimes we do have to make very big efforts to keep them safe off-lead - and spend money. We've spent a fortune on training and we've recently bought a new house with a huge garden just for them. But this doesn't spoil their fun OR our enjoyment of them - quite the opposite!

Well as I've said, thinking of ways of improving quality of life for our dogs doesn't equate to us not relaxing and enjoying them.

I don't think of shocking them for heading for the boundary of a meadow. What I do think is "hmmm - lots of people with Beagles just like mine are able to let them run free and have absolutely brilliant quality of life without risk through use of e-fences/collars. It's worth looking into this to see if I can safely and humanely use it to improve the quality of life of MY dogs".

You've made up your mind on e-fences (and not all e-fences deliver a shock). I haven't. I'm waiting for more information before I draw a conclusion as to whether they'd help improve our dogs' quality of life.

And BTW - like you I'm fine with sh*t eating, chewing, digging, rolling, chasing....ALL that matters to me is that they're both safe AND have the freedom to run and play. If the day comes where we think it's not realistic we'll be happy to settle for less. But we'll always do our very best for them. It's not a hardship - it's a pleasure...a labour of love I suppose
You did say you would think of using an ecollar for stopping them going out of a meadow where you walk them though.

Yes I am strongly against ecollars and efences.(That doesn't cover it). I have a rescue bitch here and if you had seen her when she arrived and experienced her reaction to the gentlest of training methods, I think you would feel the same way about them.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I will be interested to see it. I am concerned that you did say there was a 50/50 thing going on. I think I know what you are trying to say - that there were no decisions made.
But anyone reading what you wrote might believe the results of the consult were 50 per cent for, and 50 against. Which isn't correct as far as I know, and from my own small involvement. Anyway thanks for the offer of finding it

If you can't find it, I am quite good at Googling, or I can email someone who will know of it. Can you remind me what it was and who published it?

Not sure if you mean me if so, I'm not upset, but I do like comments about shock collars to be absolutely accurate as it is so easy for anyone reading such threads to be swayed by sentences such as the ones you've said - no evidence for cruelty, when there was also no evidence there was NO cruelty.

Sorry, I don't mean to get at you at all, but just saying that it's easy to sound as if speaking with authority (and your posts do come across that way ) when in fact what is written is down, as you say, is your personal interpretation.

There are certainly those who use them with great success for sure - but they've been lucky and not come across the problems. They may never, they may be lucky.

I'd not put vibration collar fences in the same league as electronically controlled ones, either I'm not 100% up to date with what may be available, but usually shock collars associated with fences have a beep warning system and some shock collars generally have a vibration variation. Not sure if there is an entire system which only relies on vibration. If so, I'd welcome it compared to the other one

Wys
x
Excellent post again. Suffice to say, I agree with everything Wys has said on this thread (again), she puts things much better than I can.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Excellent post again. Suffice to say, I agree with everything Wys has said on this thread (again), she puts things much better than I can.
Heck, no I do not!! Woman!!!

By the way, I agree with you about the money angle - this is very important to some.

Wys
x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Heck, no I do not!! Woman!!!

By the way, I agree with you about the money angle - this is very important to some.

Wys
x
Yep...there is a great deal of money to be made out of 'training aids' and dominance theories etc....not so much in being kind and consistent.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2009, 12:19 PM
It was published by the government - on a government website I'm pretty sure. It was a report of the findings of the study/consultation/review/whatever. Surely they came back to you with the findings ? It didn't say an awful lot more than the government response that I've quoted. Just a bit more detail but not much.

And to confirm your suspicion. The report did not specifically say 50/50 - that's my way of saying the report said that was opinion was split and that it was not possible to make a decision either way based upon opinion. It's extremely likely that there were more 'for' or more 'against' but the majority wasn't considered big enough to be significant.

So from what you've said I don't think my recollection of the report is different from what you understand the findings to be. And I'm willing to take in good faith your claim that there were more against than for - I won't insist that you publish your cupboard full of info (or your inside information)! The significant thing for me is the government/defra's finding that expert opinion was divided and existing studies weren't conclusive. There wasn't enough information available to conclude whether the devices were cruel or beneficial to dogs.

Not sure if you mean me if so, I'm not upset, but I do like comments about shock collars to be absolutely accurate as it is so easy for anyone reading such threads to be swayed by sentences such as the ones you've said - no evidence for cruelty, when there was also no evidence there was NO cruelty.
Here we're in absolute agreement! There was no evidence of cruelty found - nor was there any evidence that they weren't cruel. I have made both statements in my posts, but the reason that I started out saying that there was no evidence of cruelty found was simply to counter the apparent 'statement of fact' that they are cruel. I was making the point that the government review/study/consultation (that you were involved in) did not back this up.

It's tricky because often we're not clear in discussion whether we're putting across our opinion or interpretation of something or whether it's actual hard fact. I'm sure none of us mean to misslead and it's good that we pick each other up on these things.

We both want clarity and facts. Opinion is good too but I agree it's important to be clear about which is which and I apologise for any lack of clarity on my part! I hope it's clear now.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 12:20 PM
There are no plans at present to ban the sale and use of any electronic training aids for animals, including the ‘electric shock collars’. For many years the Protection of Animals Act 1911 made it an offence to cause unnecessary suffering to a domestic or captive animal. However, the Government is not aware of any prosecutions under the 1911 Act in relation to the use or misuse of electronic training collars.
Just wanted to go over this bit a bit

Wales is now committed to banning the collars completely. It has to be finalised but I believe this is firm, now.

Scots and English governments are awaiting DEFRA study results before doing anything. Personally, I believe this is due to pressure from those who would be financially upset if there was a ban, but anyway...

RE there being no prosecutions under an Act, in relation to shock collars - this is explained very well by David Ryan (police dog handler, police dog instructor, now retired and APBC chair) here (he refers to the Animal Welfare Act 2006 as that is the most relevant to this)

http://www.apbc.org.uk/sites/default...nsultation.pdf

see Question 4 and Question 5

".
Question 4: Do you believe that the provision prohibiting “unnecessary
suffering” in section 4 of the Animal Welfare Act 2006 is sufficient to
protect animals who wear electric shock or static pulse collars or come
into contact with “scat mats”? If not, why not?

The legislation contained in Sec. 4 of the Animal Welfare Act 2006 (causing or
permitting unnecessary suffering to a protected animal) already pertains to
animals that are the subject of electric shock from collars or other devices.
However, it is unlikely that a person committing an offence by activating such
a device will be witnessed in the act, and therefore brought to court. The
offences are, by the nature of the environment in which they are committed,
hidden from public view. The current law therefore fails to protect animals that
are the victims of electric shock devices

Although the problem of illegal use would still exist were a ban to be
introduced, the number of devices at large would diminish through natural
wastage and not be replaced at source, thus protecting animals by removing
the devices.

Question 5: In addition to question 4, under existing law each court case
involving the use of these devices would have to be considered on their
own merits. Do you think that is sufficient or do you believe that legal
certainty via Regulations should be introduced. If so, why?

Page 4
There are several reasons why prosecution of individual cases of causing or
permitting unnecessary suffering through the use of electric shock devices is
insufficient and that regulations to ban them should be introduced.
The first, as stated in question 4, is that the use of electric shock devices is
rarely witnessed by a third party.
Even if the offence is witnessed by an informed third party, the pain caused by
electric shock devices is transient. It may be highly significant at the time it is
administered, but have no lasting observable effects such as trauma injuries.
It is one of the reasons that electric shock is a preferred method of torturing
human beings around the world.

“Suffering” is notoriously difficult to define; Sec 62 of the Act interprets it as:
‘“suffering” means physical or mental suffering and related expressions shall
be construed accordingly”, otherwise put: “suffering means suffering”. It is a
state that we all recognise when we see it, but can be very difficult to describe
in real terms.

Because suffering is subjective, what is inconsequential to one animal may be
devastating to another. The degree of pain felt through each shock is also
variable, dependent upon factors such as skin sensitivity and thickness,
individual pain thresholds, the dog’s motivation at the time, hair length,
contact with skin and wetness of electrical contacts.

Therefore, when a case is prosecuted these uncertainties introduce a
minefield of legal arguments
For example, the only direct evidence is likely to
be that of adversarial witnesses; it may be impossible to establish intensity
settings on devices and what they mean to individual animals; there may be
no observable after-effects to the animal. By producing an apparently loving
owner and a healthy unmarked dog, an offence under Sec 4 of the Animal
Welfare Act 2006 may be almost impossible to prove beyond reasonable
doubt. The legal certainty of regulations to prohibit the devices would clarify
the issues.

( I should also mention that shock equipment is recommended for cats and also for horses who are cribbing, in spite of much evidence that horses may suffer from various health problems and husbandry which does not take their ethology into account (ie high grain, no grazing, ulcers etc).

Wys
x
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2009, 12:43 PM

There are certainly those who use them with great success for sure - but they've been lucky and not come across the problems. They may never, they may be lucky.

I'd not put vibration collar fences in the same league as electronically controlled ones, either I'm not 100% up to date with what may be available, but usually shock collars associated with fences have a beep warning system and some shock collars generally have a vibration variation. Not sure if there is an entire system which only relies on vibration. If so, I'd welcome it compared to the other one

Wys
x
This is why I'm keeping an open mind. I come across so many people that say getting an e-fence was the best thing they ever did for their dogs.

Rather than just be black and white about it I prefer to look deeper and find out WHY it's working so well for some - is it possible it could work for me? Are they using something that's different from the devices that deliver pain and cause stress?

E-collar/e-fence covers quite a range of devices. Strictly speaking we already use an e-collar - a GPS tracking collar!

I believe that his lady's vibration collar was electronically controlled. It WAS an e-collar - just one that vibrated rather than shocked. Of course, we can't take it as gospel that she's right, but doesn't it worry you a bit that so many people are talking in absolutes about "all e-collars are cruel" when really very many people aren't up-to-date on what's available nowadays? It's possible that a lot of the disagreement simply comes down to lack of information about what's really available.

I hope this study throws light on all of these grey areas!
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 01:09 PM
This is why I'm keeping an open mind. I come across so many people that say getting an e-fence was the best thing they ever did for their dogs.

Rather than just be black and white about it I prefer to look deeper and find out WHY it's working so well for some - is it possible it could work for me? Are they using something that's different from the devices that deliver pain and cause stress?

E-collar/e-fence covers quite a range of devices. Strictly speaking we already use an e-collar - a GPS tracking collar!

I believe that his lady's vibration collar was electronically controlled. It WAS an e-collar - just one that vibrated rather than shocked. Of course, we can't take it as gospel that she's right, but doesn't it worry you a bit that so many people are talking in absolutes about "all e-collars are cruel" when really very many people aren't up-to-date on what's available nowadays? It's possible that a lot of the disagreement simply comes down to lack of information about what's really available.

If this collar/fence set-up worked purely on vibration, I very much doubt the study will take it into account. I'm pretty sure vibration doesn't hurt, and as far as animal welfare is concerned, I doubt DEFRA would be interested in people who train just using a vibrating collar. If this would work, then that's brilliant (and I'm sure I wouldn't have a problem in using something like that) but are you absolutely sure that there wasn't shocking in training? I know some people shock in the initial 'training' then use a noise or a vibration that accompanied the shocking as a 'reminder' as it was associated with the shock.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 01:09 PM

There isn't really any grey area though.
Most ecollars have a vibration setting/beep alert on them.
A GPS collar cannot be compared to an ecollar.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
dont appologise, this post is a bit all over the place lol. The lawn at present is a mud bath, i sink inches when i walk on it, the dogs are turing up the grass. I want to keep the dogs off the grass during winter. A neighbour suggested the electic/vibrate collar/fence. I wouldnt leave them out when there is no one in the house, quiet often my sister is in during the day. My 1st reaction was they were crule but i dont or didnt have any hard evidence.
ATD x
Sounds like the lawn will need to be re-layed anyway, have they thought of artificial grass.

http://www.evergreensuk.com/?gclid=C...FUYA4wodgC64pA
Page 14 of 21 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »